PPI custom old cars

profunctional

Hey all - PPI'ing a lambo has been straightforward since you just take it to the dealership. I have a car in Orangevale CA that I want to get PPI'd but not sure where to bring it to.

It is a 67 Camaro but has been fully custom built from the nut to bolt. Nothing is original except the frame and I think the backseat. How would I go about having something like this PPI'd ?

Thanks.

Could join camaro forums and find a respectable member in the area or a muscle car shop possibly. Was the build documented? Rotisserie?

Was it an inhouse ground up build by a single shop, or an owner/builder subed out project?

Details on the car? How well documented is the build?

Chris Alston chassis works is in Sacramento, they are a huge player in 1st gen Camaros and can surely point you in the right direction.

https://cachassisworks.com/cac_press_67-69Camaro.html

Or hit up protouring.com and ask around.

If it has a full frame, it's not original. Camaros were unibody. A lot of the pro touring cars get the new "AM chassis" essentially making a new car with an old body.

Get a full write up on the build if they have it, also the rest of the suggestions are good. Check out some shops if there are any local, they should be able to give you some insight. You aren't looking for the concours car, so the boxes you tick are going to be far different with a PT car.

Thx for the advice. I joined the pro-touring forum and the owner is a member. Also

looked into chassisworks and his car is showcased on the site so there may be a conflict of interest. Anyone know how to value these?

I'm seeing prices from $24k to $200k and I know most of it is a factor of the build quality. I'm guesstimating that this car is worth about $80k-90k only because he's got offers in that range. He's asking $100k. But that is what he's saying :-/. Is it just a matter of totaling the receipts?

Any of you guys near orangevale and willing to take a peek?

Thx for the advice. I joined the pro-touring forum and the owner is a member. Also

looked into chassisworks and his car is showcased on the site so there may be a conflict of interest. Anyone know how to value these?

I'm seeing prices from $24k to $200k and I know most of it is a factor of the build quality. I'm guesstimating that this car is worth about $80k-90k only because he's got offers in that range. He's asking $100k. But that is what he's saying :-/. Is it just a matter of totaling the receipts?

Any of you guys near orangevale and willing to take a peek?

Price on these cars is super hard and totally market dependent. 67's pull less money than 69's for a start.

Any details on the build, link to the car on Alston website? Hard to give you any feedback with zero info.

Fairly safe to say if Alston has it on their website, the car was probably done right.

Price on these cars is super hard and totally market dependent. 67's pull less money than 69's for a start.

Any details on the build, link to the car on Alston website? Hard to give you any feedback with zero info.

Fairly safe to say if Alston has it on their website, the car was probably done right.

Here is the link https://cachassisworks.com/cac_testimonials_ErvinCamaro.html

Thoughts on the asking price of $100k? Owner built it using chassisworks parts. Not chassisworks labor etc.

What is the significant changes from 67 and 69?

Here is the link https://cachassisworks.com/cac_testimonials_ErvinCamaro.html

Thoughts on the asking price of $100k? Owner built it using chassisworks parts. Not chassisworks labor etc.

What is the significant changes from 67 and 69?

69 has different fenders, and last year of first gens.

motor / transfer details?

Car Looks hot

69 has different fenders, and last year of first gens.

motor / transfer details?

Car Looks hot

Thank you so much for the help so far. Here is the motor etc.

383 Stroker motor built by Borello Racing Engines Full roller motor with 9.5 compression

Eagle forged rotating assembly Dynoed at 423hp and 475ft trq. Vintage Air Front Runner front accessory drive with AC and 110amp alternator

All XRP fittings and lines

*4L65E RR600 4 speed electronic

built transmission by Phoenix

Transmission rated for 800hp

Billet Muscle Drive torque

converter rated for 800hp

Complete Twist Machine

Compushift Shrifter Paddle Shift

setup for complete electronic controls for transmission Billet Shrifter Paddle shifter setup

This is all just my personal opinion obviously without seeing the car in person. It's a nice car at $80k, providing everything checks out and the body/paint is really well done. But it isn't $100k in the open market. My main thought is this car is having an identity crisis, trying to look like a road course car but sitting on airbags with mediocre brakes. I'm sure it's a great cruiser, but it isn't going to handle the way t

you think it will.

The second issue is you have a cared 383... I could build that motor in my garage with very little effort. Purely for drivability, asking $100k I want a well tuned and sorted EFI motor. This is why you see so many LSx motors in these cars, they are light, make great power, and just work. If you opened the hood to a blown LS3 or LS7, you're a lot close to the $100k mark.

You might also shoot a message to streetking (SW) here, he has tons of experience owning and building these cars, and also owns a dealership, so he can give you market idea of what they really sell for.

This is all just my personal opinion obviously without seeing the car in person. It's a nice car at $80k, providing everything checks out and the body/paint is really well done. But it isn't $100k in the open market. My main thought is this car is having an identity crisis, trying to look like a road course car but sitting on airbags with mediocre brakes. I'm sure it's a great cruiser, but it isn't going to handle the way t

you think it will.

The second issue is you have a cared 383... I could build that motor in my garage with very little effort. Purely for drivability, asking $100k I want a well tuned and sorted EFI motor. This is why you see so many LSx motors in these cars, they are light, make great power, and just work. If you opened the hood to a blown LS3 or LS7, you're a lot close to the $100k mark.

You might also shoot a message to streetking (SW) here, he has tons of experience owning and building these cars, and also owns a dealership, so he can give you market idea of what they really sell for.

Thank you for all the feedback. I'm also looking at two other 1st gens. One has an LS2 in it. They are being sold by a reputable business. This black one is the only one being sold by a private party.

I reached out to StreetKing on L4P Friday but it looks like he hasn't been online since March. Doubht he got my pm.

Again I really appreciate the thoughtful response and feedback.

Bolt in front clip, 383 stroker, etc. etc. the more details I see the more I'd expect the price to drop, substantially. And as others have said, for a six figure car, it better be a sorted EFI or turbo car at the very least.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an interesting blog about building one from "scratch" with a new body.

It would seem that $90-100K you could do it yourself and know EXACTLY what you have.

http://www.worldwidecamaroclub.com/showthr...ro-from-scratch

I could kick myself for selling mine in 1989 for a mere $1,300 :(

1967_CAMARO_SIDE.JPG

1967_CAMARO_ENGINE.JPG

car is still for sale and the market has new 67-69s up for sale daily.

As-is for this what would you guys put the value at?

I've narrowed it down to my last 2 and this being one of them.

As I start to see some come online with LS motors and comparable mods, it's looking like mid to high 70s.

Thoughts? Also, how does the adjustable suspension perform?

My thoughts for what its worth. It is not a stock car so it will not appreciate in value. You shouldn't buy the car for the value of the parts he has in it. It looks great but doesn't have a lot of great parts. A 383 in a $100K car, just kind of sucks. He definitely has some money in the car, but I personally wouldn't pay more than $50K for it. Not saying it isn't worth more than $50K. If you personally built it, it might cost you $100K, but that shouldn't be what you pay for it.

If you have ever built a car you realize that you buy a car for $50,000 you put $50K into it and then you sell it for $52K. You don't sell it for $100K, you lose your ass modding cars.

As far as the differences between the 67 and 69.

The front end had round foglights on the 67 the 68 introduced kind of a square shaped foglight, the 69 didn't have the foglights depending on the model.

The front and rear fenders were different

There were suspension improvements in the 69

The hardest part on these cars is understanding all of the options

RS, SS, Z28, hideaway headlights (love these), AC, PS, and much more.

Motors, 327,350,427, etc. numerous choices.

not anticipating appreciation so that is ok. I considered going the route of having one built. But I'm not that technical and don't have much time so the appeal is ready-to-run. I was going to use it as a daily driver. I see the diff in the 69 now. Most notably the front fenders.

not anticipating appreciation so that is ok. I considered going the route of having one built. But I'm not that technical and don't have much time so the appeal is ready-to-run. I was going to use it as a daily driver. I see the diff in the 69 now. Most notably the front fenders.

If your goal is a daily driver I don't know that this car would be your best bet. I wouldn't want to drive it in rain and get it dirty. My buddy just sold a 69 Z28 for like $32,000. That would be something that you could daily drive, looked bad ass, and would appreciate.

car is still for sale and the market has new 67-69s up for sale daily.

As-is for this what would you guys put the value at?

I've narrowed it down to my last 2 and this being one of them.

As I start to see some come online with LS motors and comparable mods, it's looking like mid to high 70s.

Thoughts? Also, how does the adjustable suspension perform?

IMO the Chris Alston suspension is totally decent and doesn't require cutting up the car to make it fit (rear specifically). But I would ditch the silly airbag shocks and put some adjustable coil overs on it to match the front, it will handle a whole shit load better.

Like I said, it's hard to say without going over the bodywork extensively and letting a magnet and paint depth gauge do the talking. Overall it looks like a nice car, but it's not a $90k nice car.

Do you have more recent pictures of the car? The link on CACW shows that car with a 3spd turbo 350 (transmission) and definitely no electronic paddle shift, which IMO is kinda gimicky and silly on a car like this. Keep a floor shifter in it for an auto or run a 6spd viper/camaro T56.

I'm still sticking with the carbed 383 being out of place on this car. You can build that motor in your garage for under $5k without any trouble, and it will work provided it's tuned properly but are you prepared to/or have you dealt with a non-oem carbed car before? This is the number one reason I would want EFI on a car at this level, it normally just works. Dropping $70k on something that is a constant headache is no fun, and since you're looking at something complete I take it you don't want to be out there jetting the carb and reading plugs.

What other car are you looking at for comparison?

IMO the Chris Alston suspension is totally decent and doesn't require cutting up the car to make it fit (rear specifically). But I would ditch the silly airbag shocks and put some adjustable coil overs on it to match the front, it will handle a whole shit load better.

Like I said, it's hard to say without going over the bodywork extensively and letting a magnet and paint depth gauge do the talking. Overall it looks like a nice car, but it's not a $90k nice car.

Do you have more recent pictures of the car? The link on CACW shows that car with a 3spd turbo 350 (transmission) and definitely no electronic paddle shift, which IMO is kinda gimicky and silly on a car like this. Keep a floor shifter in it for an auto or run a 6spd viper/camaro T56.

I'm still sticking with the carbed 383 being out of place on this car. You can build that motor in your garage for under $5k without any trouble, and it will work provided it's tuned properly but are you prepared to/or have you dealt with a non-oem carbed car before? This is the number one reason I would want EFI on a car at this level, it normally just works. Dropping $70k on something that is a constant headache is no fun, and since you're looking at something complete I take it you don't want to be out there jetting the carb and reading plugs.

What other car are you looking at for comparison?

Here is the expired ebay posting http://www.ebay.com/itm/400922294229?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The comps I'm looking at are here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291487511663?_trks...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And here

http://www.rkmotorscharlotte.com/sales/inv...amaro-RS/134896

I'm actually looking at all these right now. Everyday something new pops up though.

@emanon I've never dealt with a non-oem carbed car. I'm not even technical with cars. bad idea?

The appeal of a daily driver will fade very quickly.

No matter how well it was rebuilt, a car almost 50 years old is just that.

@emanon I've never dealt with a non-oem carbed car. I'm not even technical with cars. bad idea?

How much are you budgeting for repairs and maintenance? These are ALL project cars in the truest sense of the word, especially if it has a carb. You're either in it for the joy/hobby of working on them and building them, or you cut a check and buy one completed, that still needs regular work.

This is one area where having an EFI LSx motor from a new car is very nice, it just works. But no matter which one you buy it will need work over time.

It sounds to me like you're SERIOUSLY under budget, given how much work you want to/are capable of doing on them. If you want to learn that's fine and another story, none of it is super difficult, but it's time consuming and a fcuking money pit.

These cars that are total turn key with no headaches cost $150k plus and come out of shops like DSE. As much as I hate to say it, you'll be 100x happier buying a new hellcat and beating the snot out of it.

How much are you budgeting for repairs and maintenance? These are ALL project cars in the truest sense of the word, especially if it has a carb. You're either in it for the joy/hobby of working on them and building them, or you cut a check and buy one completed, that still needs regular work.

This is one area where having an EFI LSx motor from a new car is very nice, it just works. But no matter which one you buy it will need work over time.

It sounds to me like you're SERIOUSLY under budget, given how much work you want to/are capable of doing on them. If you want to learn that's fine and another story, none of it is super difficult, but it's time consuming and a fcuking money pit.

These cars that are total turn key with no headaches cost $150k plus and come out of shops like DSE. As much as I hate to say it, you'll be 100x happier buying a new hellcat and beating the snot out of it.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't have a budget for repairs or maintenance. I assumed it would cost as much as a regular car with regular maintenance. As you stated, I'm not capable of doing the work myself so I spent a week thinking about that. Lot's of good advice here so I decided to pass on it.

I actually considered a hellcat. I went to see it in person and it looks too bulky. It's cool but I don't think it is for me.

I'm still going to keep looking for something with a new chassis, LS motor, and updated everything really. Thanks for all the info. You probably saved me a big headache.

On a side note, the guy has built LS3 that he's willing to throw in for some extra cash. It needs a wiring harness and still needs to be swapped out (labor).