Assistance Requested - Winding Back E-Brake Caliper To Fit New Pads?

slownrusty

Hi Gang - I have almost completed the Brembo big brake upgrade on my '91, and I have a question. How do you go about winding / turning back the piston on the e-brake caliper?

The new Brembo rotors are much thicker than stock throw in the additional thickness of the new pads and the caliper just does not fit. I am so close to finishing this project!!! I can snap a few pics to help visualize.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

On the back side of the parking brake caliper there are 5 Allen head bolts that have to be removed (I recommend removing the calipers from the car by disconnecting it from the parking brake cable threaded rod). Once the 5 Allen head bolts are removed the aluminum cover can also be removed (careful not to damage the sealing gasket) and there you will come across a white plastic cap that is the cover for ratcheting mechanism for the caliper. Remove this white cap, should pop off easily and then put a flat edge into the winder and turn it back counter clockwise.

Hope this helps.

Y

Yes, that helps a lot, I plan on doing the upgrade to the Brembos later this year. Do you have to split the caliper apart to accommodate the thicker rotor? If so, any tips on doing it? Or is it straight forward?

On the back side of the parking brake caliper there are 5 Allen head bolts that have to be removed (I recommend removing the calipers from the car by disconnecting it from the parking brake cable threaded rod). Once the 5 Allen head bolts are removed the aluminum cover can also be removed (careful not to damage the sealing gasket) and there you will come across a white plastic cap that is the cover for ratcheting mechanism for the caliper. Remove this white cap, should pop off easily and then put a flat edge into the winder and turn it back counter clockwise.

Hope this helps.

Y

"Yes" the e-brake caliper has to be split apart and the Brembo kit comes with spacers to insert between the two (2) halves and longer bolts. My calipers were a 1/16" still too tight with the new pads on the thicker rotor, so I made shims out of aluminum flat stock and it worked perfectly, once the pads wear a bit, I can remove these home made shims. I also adjusted the the tension on the e-brake cables and have a really positive feel at the handle, where as it was a bit sloppy (loose) before.

The Brembo brake upgrade is expensive by the time you throw in 18" wheels and tires but certainly worth it.