An Interesting Experience

Supercar Ace

Supercar Ace I hate to ask but what race are you? I am wondering if that played any roll in how you were treated (cuffs and number of responding officers).

No worries, I'm black :ph34r: I never see things as a matter of race (except when living in Virginia briefly and experiencing some pretty overate racism) so I personally am giving the officer the benefit of the doubt that he still would have reacted the way he did f I was white, asian, ect. A lot of my friends have been quick to raise the race flag, which I am strongly opposed to because I don't feel that incident was racially motivated. The officer was pretty chill beforehand, and the reason for the large number of officers was that where I wound up pulled over was right in front of their Police Station.

During the ordeal I could not help but think of race in terms of the current social-political context, in the sense of if I am a police officer who happens to be white, then I should know how this is going to look. For example, I don't see race but I do have a certain "racial awareness" that I keep i the back of my mind...If I'm traveling through Mississippi and come across a group of white guys with shaved heads and white robes, you can believe my situational awareness will be at full attention. So looping back to my situation. If I am in the officer's shoes, I should understand that while yes there is a job to be done, given that the media is waiting to leap onto the the next white cop vs black guy story I would want to take caution, especially after being handed proof ownership. There's no reason (in my mind at least) that I need to be cuffed and curbed when they could have rechecked everything with me just sitting in the car, none the wiser.

In any case, just as I never want to give an officer a reason to shoot me, they should also be aware enough not to give the media (or citizens) a reason to attack them. More often than not there's the "what it is vs how it looks" syndrome at play. Keeping this in mind helps keep them safe and the citizens safe as well. My situation could have gone very south very quickly, and I am grateful it didn't. My hope is that some way this story can help both sides since the outcome I'd say was a positive one and not one that lead to some rioting, which it could have turned out that way.

My situation could have gone very south very quickly, and I am grateful it didn't..

For some reason this makes me think of the scene in Crash, where after being carjacked, Terrence Howard gets out of his Navigator in the circle/driveway and says "What are you going to do? Pull the trigger pig!"

Great flick btw, Paul Haggis did an outstanding job! Sorry to derail a tiny bit.

Ace, at least you have the sense to see things rationally. Keeping calm is always the best solution, whether black, brown, white, red, yellow.... You don't want to ruin your entire future on a momentary lapse in judgement.

Ace, at least you have the sense to see things rationally. Keeping calm is always the best solution, whether black, brown, white, red, yellow.... You don't want to ruin your entire future on a momentary lapse in judgement.

+100. There is little or nothing to be gained by being a dick to the cops, and a whole lot to lose potentially. Remember, they have the guns and the authority in that situation. Best thing to do is to get out of the situation as smoothly as possible and if you really do have a beef with the way you are treated, you can handle it in a different forum.

The OP handled the situation 100% correctly.

No worries, I'm black :ph34r: I never see things as a matter of race (except when living in Virginia briefly and experiencing some pretty overate racism) so I personally am giving the officer the benefit of the doubt that he still would have reacted the way he did f I was white, asian, ect. A lot of my friends have been quick to raise the race flag, which I am strongly opposed to because I don't feel that incident was racially motivated. The officer was pretty chill beforehand, and the reason for the large number of officers was that where I wound up pulled over was right in front of their Police Station.

During the ordeal I could not help but think of race in terms of the current social-political context, in the sense of if I am a police officer who happens to be white, then I should know how this is going to look. For example, I don't see race but I do have a certain "racial awareness" that I keep i the back of my mind...If I'm traveling through Mississippi and come across a group of white guys with shaved heads and white robes, you can believe my situational awareness will be at full attention. So looping back to my situation. If I am in the officer's shoes, I should understand that while yes there is a job to be done, given that the media is waiting to leap onto the the next white cop vs black guy story I would want to take caution, especially after being handed proof ownership. There's no reason (in my mind at least) that I need to be cuffed and curbed when they could have rechecked everything with me just sitting in the car, none the wiser.

In any case, just as I never want to give an officer a reason to shoot me, they should also be aware enough not to give the media (or citizens) a reason to attack them. More often than not there's the "what it is vs how it looks" syndrome at play. Keeping this in mind helps keep them safe and the citizens safe as well. My situation could have gone very south very quickly, and I am grateful it didn't. My hope is that some way this story can help both sides since the outcome I'd say was a positive one and not one that lead to some rioting, which it could have turned out that way.

Well said!

+100. There is little or nothing to be gained by being a dick to the cops, and a whole lot to lose potentially. Remember, they have the guns and the authority in that situation. Best thing to do is to get out of the situation as smoothly as possible and if you really do have a beef with the way you are treated, you can handle it in a different forum.

The OP handled the situation 100% correctly.

:iamwithstupid:

Right or wrong, you will never improve your situation or win an argument on the side of the road with a cop.

If you feel totally dicked over by a cop, have no hesitation to make him call out his watch Seargent to the scene. It might take a while but you will be heard and sleep better that night. At the end of the day Cops are human, they fcuk up and make mistakes too.

What if he refuses?

Yep. Seen it happen to people I know in the past.

IMHO an officer knows within himself if he is going to give someone a hard time as soon as he has approached their vehicle. If you did not win the "You get a pass" sweepstakes your life is about to become really miserable. Most often you really can't "talk" your way out of it......but as long as you're not arrested or car impounded you win. Remember you can always run away today in order to fight tomorrow!!!

I was gonna say the cop owes you one, if you can find a way to reach him and just remind him... but I don't think this works in US.

That's certainly an interesting story. Cuffing you for not having a sticker on your plate is pretty bogus if you ask me. Sucks that you had to deal with 2 rookies that didn't know what they're doing.

What's funny is a lot of my friends have been plenty angry for me, and I am not a cop-basher. There's a lot of great stand up officers out there that really are doing good. But then there's that group that gives the rest a bad name.

Your right there are more good than bad in my experience, except Las Vegas. Those cops are bad news-I knew a few of them personally. Scary.

On the sticker thing it was NHP, by statute if there is a warrant out he had to take me in to jail. My warrant? A seat belt ticket which I had paid 3 years previously. It was a computer error. He didn't have any choice he had to take me in, if it was a regular Vegas cop I would have been warned. I thought he might be bullshitting me. He wasn't. So I did my 4 hours in the joint, had my limo driver pick me up when my bid was up and take me to Golden Steer a old school mob joint for steak and lobster. I just missed chow while serving out my time.

That's the only time I been to jail,

I ended up paying that ticket 4 times. It went to warrant 2 times again. They had huge software problems, lots of people caught cases for that.

Funny,

I never had any issues with police. Except one time I fucked up during a traffic stop and gave permission to search my vehicle. Will never make that mistake again. They were really cool till second I gave permission, then they instantly turned into major fuckheads. They pulled everything out of my car and threw it in the ditch, accused me of being a drug runner, and gave me shit for 20 minutes. Then when they came up empty and out of ideas, they just said "thanks you're free to go" and drove off.

Never again.

In Vegas you get shot if your breathing they are out of control

I wouldn't doubt that. Vegas is like the wild west :fsniper:

I never had any issues with police. Except one time I fucked up during a traffic stop and gave permission to search my vehicle. Will never make that mistake again. They were really cool till second I gave permission, then they instantly turned into major fuckheads. They pulled everything out of my car and threw it in the ditch, accused me of being a drug runner, and gave me shit for 20 minutes. Then when they came up empty and out of ideas, they just said "thanks you're free to go" and drove off.

Never again.

That's not cool. Even during my incident if they would have asked to search my vehicle I would have locked the doors and said no. It always sucks when someone abuses their power. :jackoff:

What happened was they tried to get you by "fishing" in an area with high crime. We don't need to go in to all the cases of why we, as the general public, should be suspicious of our interactions with law enforcement.

1. pull someone over (for a legit vc22350)
  2. escalate under false pretenses (stolen plates here)
  3. detain them while you search the unsecured vehicle
  4. write chickenshit ticket (because they still need to be 'superior' to civilians and never admit guilt or lies)
  5. repeat on public until successful in major drug bust and/or shooting someone

For future reference:

They cannot open/enter the vehicle without a search warrant if the windows are up and the doors locked. Probable cause cannot supercede a secured vehicle. How that goes down for you (being non-white) may infuriate the cowboy-sociopaths carrying badges these days.

Youtube tax:

For future reference:

They cannot open/enter the vehicle without a search warrant if the windows are up and the doors locked. Probable cause cannot supercede a secured vehicle. How that goes down for you (being non-white) may infuriate the cowboy-sociopaths carrying badges these days.

That's certainly something people should be aware of.

Racism is the stupidest thing in society.

Sadly its worldwide, in America relative to many other places it's not that bad, however it's unacceptable period. I'm guilty of using every racial word you can imagine, however there is no hate behind them, it's just a slang thing, isn't PC- but that's how I roll, if I ever offend anyone I'd feel like shit and apologize, but that ain't happened, I respect people and generally like everyone-guess I'd be a bad cop..... I base my decisions on people by the content of their character and I don't lock in on a belief about a person, I'm always looking for the good. Even if I don't agree that don't make me hate anyone

Why some cops are racist and are not dismissed from their job is the real question, one of my best friends for 22 years in LA, will not drive thru Beverly Hills at night, he is black. That's just sad. I was parked in one of my cars with him in the Valley-Burbank side at 7/11, chopping it up as I hadn't seen him in a while. Cops started circling us. 30-40'minutes, 3 hit us from all sides, we were wearing gym cloths. Got shook down, the whole bit. Nothing of course. If he was white wouldn't have happened. That's just bad on so many levels.

There's a lot of great stand up officers out there that really are doing good. But then there's that group that gives the rest a bad name.

Yeah it's sad that 99% give the rest a bad name.

ps. clean Laguna Seca E46!

Racism is the stupidest thing in society.

:iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid: :iamwithstupid:

When I lived in Virginia it was really overt. If people want to severely limit their interactions in the human experience then it's a shame, but I do not pity the intentionally ignorant.

Yeah it's sad that 99% give the rest a bad name.

ps. clean Laguna Seca E46!

Thanks! It was my first dream car so it was a happy when 6 years ago when I picked it up :icon_thumleft:

Interesting stories with the law. Thanks for sharing everyone. Well handled SupercarAce. Loved that M3 Laguna Seca. One of my all time favorite car and color.

Interesting stories with the law. Thanks for sharing everyone. Well handled SupercarAce. Loved that M3 Laguna Seca. One of my all time favorite car and color.

Thank you, same here :icon_thumleft: I want a Monetery Blue Diablo SV and a Blu Nethuns Aventador SV to go along side it...I'm going to be that guy with all blue cars one day :shock: