Anyone looking at investing in Facebook Stocks?

IanMan

My problem with the facebook play is that if you look at the market cap for facebook the company is way overvalued for the amount of revenue that they have. The real play in this was to be a private investor in Oculus a year or 2 prior to them being bought by facebook.

I have a lot of money tied up in private investments and they are riskier, but the ROI can be amazing sometimes.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+ a billion (dollars :D )

I have a friend developing a VR model home platform for the new home construction industry. You can tour the house, change finishings, paint colors, add your own furniture, fcuk, even see what your dog looks like curled up by the fireplace... The surface hasn't even begun to be scratched from a marketing perspective. This industry will be enormous.

Yup, its already happening. Condo developers in So Fla are doing virtual tours w/ Oculus in their sale centers. No flexibility, like your friend is doing, but its happening quickly.

My problem with the facebook play is that if you look at the market cap for facebook the company is way overvalued for the amount of revenue that they have. The real play in this was to be a private investor in Oculus a year or 2 prior to them being bought by facebook.

I have a lot of money tied up in private investments and they are riskier, but the ROI can be amazing sometimes.

Drop in the bucket for FB. See my first post. There are mid-cap companies that poise to gain big from this.

VR is going to be incredibily huge. it's niche now, but it's not actually out yet. It will pick up quicker than you think.

I've been involved in demoing the oculus to the publid several times. I've shown hundreds of poeple the DK2 in action and everyone walks away stunned and wanting to know when they can get one.

there's amazing posibilities as some people have already mentioned.

Canadian Tire for example has just launched a new showcase store in Alberta where they have an Oculus Rift setup so you can see virtually tour patio furniture setups.

It's going to change the way simulation rigs are built and percieved.

There's virutal theatres being developed where you sit in a room wiht other people wearing vr headsets online to watch a movie together.

There's a theme park called the void being developed that will be virtual augmented reality experiences.

defiitely a good play to bet on the GPU manufacturers.

While it is cool to learn the new ways for its use.. but that doesn't imply adoption by the masses.

"There's virutal theatres being developed where you sit in a room wiht other people wearing vr headsets online to watch a movie together. "

What does this look like exactly? you put on the VR and see yourself in a movie theater with people watching a movie?

While it is cool to learn the new ways for its use.. but that doesn't imply adoption by the masses.

"There's virutal theatres being developed where you sit in a room wiht other people wearing vr headsets online to watch a movie together. "

What does this look like exactly? you put on the VR and see yourself in a movie theater with people watching a movie?

Trust me. I'm not calling you old, but as a younger guy, this is what people in my generation are looking towards and what people keep talking about. This is what people younger than me are looking towards, and the fact that even elderly people are interested in this definitely means something. Trust me when I say that people are going to be purchasing these. Call me crazy now, but wait for ten years. These platforms bring gaming to an entirely new level of realism and you're going to find them in every home, once they become even more affordable over time.

Trust me, after you try one out for yourself you won't be anywhere near as skeptical. VR can't be explained to someone, it has to be experienced to understand fully.

Oculus has said that there will be demos set up in retail locations for people to see for themselves. This is what will spur mass sales. Only those who truly believe in the tech, and those who have tried it will be willing to buy, but once you try it will change your whole opinion.

Not to mention, VR headsets are going to let people experience things that they wouldn't otherwise have any hope to do. Like an ederly person who's not very mobile can go for a tour through a rainforest.

Or for example someone in a wheelchair, getting to scuba dive, like Paul who got to test HTC's Vive recently.

We're just scratching the surface of what these headsets will be capable of. The world will be a very different place in just a few short years because of virtual reality technology.

I have no doubt in the technology being amazing (funny, one thing that word actually can be used for properly), however my question wasn't about that. I just don't see the social dynamics supporting this in a household for people who have kids or are planning them. I could very well be wrong and families adopting this for educational reasons as well as there being a way to be "with your family" as you all sit stupidly on the sofa with helmets on. Women give guys hard times about playing video games as is...I just don't buy that this will have growth past the certain point/demo, but maybe that's already enough. Imo, things will will most likely get a lot worse within social dynamics as a result of this.

• 2 months later...

People much smarter than me are catching on that VR has some legs and Nvidia is a critical part of its execution... price target raised 30% by Jefferies yesterday.

Virtual and Augmented Reality products from Oculus (Rift, Touch), HTC (Vive), Microsoft (HoloLens), and Magic Leap will hit the market in early 2016. We think investors will appreciate that these technologies will have the potential to ultimately transform industries. And since the VR/AR experience will work better with faster (and higher priced) graphics chips from NVDA, we think that there is the potential that NVDA’s P/E could expand before its earnings estimates do from the ramp of these products. The upside from the VR/AR markets could be material. Should VR/AR applications cause 1% of PC buyers to upgrade their PC with a high-end GPU card from NVDA, that could translate to $1 billion of incremental revenues and $0.25 in EPS; a 3% conversion would be $3 billion and $0.75.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2...ns&ru=yahoo

• 1 month later...

I bought as much FB during the IPO as I could. It's up ~182% .

I also own an Oculus Rift DK2. I think it's neat, a good stepping stone but not yet ready for prime time. I hope the consumer model they release is. Also, I get headaches when I use it which sucks :( -- Hopefully the addition of the virtual nose fixes that stuff. I haven't tried that yet.

I'm hoping that we get to the point where I can step into the metaverse and leave meat space.... those of you who have read snowcrash know what I'm talking about.

So what is this?? Holographic television?

We had that idea back in the 1970's !

VR is definitely not holographic. It works basically like this....

Your eyes are separated by distance so you get the effect of seeing things in a 3 dimensional world, at least from your perspective.

With VR, a screen sits roughly 4-5" in front of you and is split into two halves. On each half of the screen, a special lens sits in front of each side of the screen, one for each eye. In a normal setting, if you sat 4-5" in front of a tv screen you would strain your eyes and have a hell of a time focusing. But... since each side of the screen creates a SMALLER image, from a different perspective, if you use focal lenses, each eye can focus on the image and it appears natural with no strain. Now, sit your eyes in front of both images, where your eyes would normally see, and you are left with a real time experience of virtual reality.

Some games are so convincing and so good that when you do things like fall quickly or fall far, your stomach and body literally get the feeling of falling and you feel your stomach turn. It's incredible. The first time I played Elite Dangerous on my rift, getting used to dogfighting was really hard for my stomach because my body was constantly going, "OH this is gonna SUCK!"

It's absolutely incredible.

Now.... on a separate note, MICROSOFT is coming out with holographic technology called the hololense which actually projects images from a headset onto things in your environment which is a completely different idea and a very different concept altogether.

I'm all about the VR.

Here's a few videos of me playing on the rift in Elite Dangerous. Highly recommend opening them in HD full screen. So far it is the most beautiful game I've played on the rift. Alien Isolation is a close second, though the controls aren't great and they need to work heavily on their calibration for the headset. Elite Dangerous is VR ready and gorgeous. Ark is also beautiful but incredibly demanding, not at all optimized, and their interface is horrendous.

Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are also amazing.

You'll notice a few odd jerking motions now and then and it going slightly gray, this was a but with the 0.6 software they released so I went back to 0.5 and had no issues. 0.7 seems to be the most stable and best so far but they got rid of extended mode and it killed a lot of compatibility with games so I still play in .5 and work in .7.

Checking out the galaxy map in VR in game. Which is absolutely stunning.

(edit) And one more flying around a random planet.

I have been working on a project that uses VR and Haptics to teach surgeons how to operate. Imagine if a surgeon could remove your gall bladder 500 times before they even touched the first live patient and the Haptics would add sensory feel of cutting tissue. Right now the only practice a surgeon gets is with cadavers, which keep going up in cost. Or in the operating room with another surgeon present. Race car drivers have been using VR to drive a course the night before a race. Now add Haptics and they can feel the road.

I have been working on a project that uses VR and Haptics to teach surgeons how to operate. Imagine if a surgeon could remove your gall bladder 500 times before they even touched the first live patient and the Haptics would add sensory feel of cutting tissue. Right now the only practice a surgeon gets is with cadavers, which keep going up in cost. Or in the operating room with another surgeon present. Race car drivers have been using VR to drive a course the night before a race. Now add Haptics and they can feel the road.

THIS

Now that is awesome.

Read today they are using VR to show people scenarious where they decide against drinking/for drinking and show consequences to curb alcoholism.

• 8 months later...
I've been following VR for a while and have posted before that I think it is going to be 'the next big thing'. My 65 year old mother, who has no care for tech, was absolutely blown away by the DK2 when I gave her a demo and was ecstatic about where this tech could be in 10-15 years when she won't be as mobile as she is now. This, and my friends that have no interest in gaming say they want to get a PC and Oculus when they become available, makes me think there is real potential for this to catch on and have some legs on it.

My take on investing in VR:

Facebook picked up Oculus, but that isn't even a drop in the bucket for a $275BN company. Lets say Oculus catches on and is worth $10BN in 2017. That $8BN in appreciation is a ~3% gain in value for the company. Yeehaw.

I'm betting on the chips that power the VR experience. For those who don't know, VR is VERY demanding and requires a powerful GPU to deliver a good experience. Oculus has stated that the minimum spec for the first consumer version is going to be Nvidia's GTX 970. Yes, there will be an AMD equivalent, but I think NVDA is a better run company and their balance sheet is strong as hell (I think ~$5 per share is reflective of their cash holdings). When VR catches on there are going to be LOTS and LOTS of people upgrading their GPUs and new customers coming in purchasing PCs that have these GPUs. Additionally, this serves as a bit of a mitigant, as there are several companies releasing VR headsets, but they are all useless without the computing horsepower behind them. Even if Oculus doesn't win the race, it is 99% certain that Nvidia or AMD will be powering whoever does. For what its worth, AMD is powering the Xbox One and PS4, but that only applies to this generation of console and its an open playing field going forward. I view Nvidia as a clear leader in the PC arena.

So, I'm long NVDA. Been buying since ~$12 and I think my weighted cost is a little south of $17 now. They also have big upside potential from other businesses.

A. Just released a streaming gaming service (think NetFlix for games).

B. Automotive computing. Their chips are showing up in Audis, VWs, Teslas, etc.

C. They're making a big push to be the leader in self driving cars: http://www.cnbc.com/id/102697961

Well guys, I don't know how much easier I could have made this for you :D (pats self on back). Up about 150% and one of, if not the, top performing stock in the S&P over the last 12 months. The GPU business, which their nearing a monopoly in, is the bread and butter and the applications for these chips are expanding daily... deep learning, AI, cloud computing, autonomous driving are all cutting edge stuff that Nvidia drives. VR is probably still 5-10 years off, but it will change the world. I'm not a seller until we see a $100bn market cap.

Well guys, I don't know how much easier I could have made this for you :D (pats self on back). Up about 150% and one of, if not the, top performing stock in the S&P over the last 12 months. The GPU business, which their nearing a monopoly in, is the bread and butter and the applications for these chips are expanding daily... deep learning, AI, cloud computing, autonomous driving are all cutting edge stuff that Nvidia drives. VR is probably still 5-10 years off, but it will change the world. I'm not a seller until we see a $100bn market cap.

Legit call.

• 5 months later...

I want to "invest" in VR companies so badly. It's infancy just scares me a little bit, because no companies are really "experts" at VR and most companies are private. Hard to see, reason why I like FB stock so much because they hold Oculus.

Ok guys on VR and AI, this is definitely worth your time:

Give this a listen, Kevin Kelly is like a prophet about technology, predicted internet before there was one. Go to 1:13:00 he talks about what they can do with VR now, until about 1:25. Second life is a game online for people to hang out with each other kinda like Sims but multiplayer. But if you start at 1:05 its a pretty good take on what AI will do for jobs, etc. And if you go after 1:25 he will talk about what hackers can do to destroy physical properties, it goes a for a few mins, anyway its interesting shit coming down the pipe. Easy to see this being the next huge thing,and he says right now there are no VR or AI experts.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/9/8/e98d45368a...420b78850bd7467

As a teaser, he says we'll have VR sex on mass scale within 5 years. Add Ai and haptics to that and..we're gonna have some interesting social adjustments.

Ok guys on VR and AI, this is definitely worth your time:

Give this a listen, Kevin Kelly is like a prophet about technology, predicted internet before there was one. Go to 1:13:00 he talks about what they can do with VR now, until about 1:25. Second life is a game online for people to hang out with each other kinda like Sims but multiplayer. But if you start at 1:05 its a pretty good take on what AI will do for jobs, etc. And if you go after 1:25 he will talk about what hackers can do to destroy physical properties, it goes a for a few mins, anyway its interesting shit coming down the pipe. Easy to see this being the next huge thing,and he says right now there are no VR or AI experts.

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/e/9/8/e98d45368a...420b78850bd7467[/

As a teaser, he says we'll have VR sex on mass scale within 5 years. Add Ai and haptics to that and..we're gonna have some interesting social adjustments.

Ready for all of it.