da_bull

06-08 Range Rovers? Run?

Hey all, I am currently researching the acquisition of an SUV to my home and one of the brands on the list is the Range Rover. I absolutely love the car and brand but have heard horror stories with the "older models" (2006 - 2008). I'm not in a position yet to fork over money for a new car. I have no preference between the Sport model vs the standard model.... are the horror stories with respect to reliability of the 06-08 cars valid? Or should I elsewhere? Any insight from you folks is appreciated. :icon_super:

Hey all, I am currently researching the acquisition of an SUV to my home and one of the brands on the list is the Range Rover. I absolutely love the car and brand but have heard horror stories with the "older models" (2006 - 2008). I'm not in a position yet to fork over money for a new car. I have no preference between the Sport model vs the standard model.... are the horror stories with respect to reliability of the 06-08 cars valid? Or should I elsewhere? Any insight from you folks is appreciated. :icon_super:

Run....we had a new 07 RRSS. Drove well but no Cayenne, good looking truck, small inside, shitty gas mileage. It was my wife's car and she drives like an old lady and couldn't average 15 mpg. Runs through brake pads like they are going out of fashion, awful build quality, horrible dealers/service, massive problems with the air suspension. NAV/bluetooth is archaic.

This comes to mind...

article-1190340-052DB0E3000005DC-567_634x331.jpg

Neighbor's kid had one for a month. I saw it being towed away on a flatbed twice in that time. After that it was last seen sitting on the street five houses up in a puddle of oil with the driveshaft on the ground.

This comes to mind...

article-1190340-052DB0E3000005DC-567_634x331.jpg

Neighbor's kid had one for a month. I saw it being towed away on a flatbed twice in that time. After that it was last seen sitting on the street five houses up in a puddle of oil with the driveshaft on the ground.

Thanks for the reminder - I forgot to mention our AC also failed in the Valley on a 110 degree day with my 65 year mum and my six month old son in the car....good times.

Thanks for the reminder - I forgot to mention our AC also failed in the Valley on a 110 degree day with my 65 year mum and my six month old son in the car....good times.

Between that and the M3, one would think you'd be sick of lemons by now.

Run, run, run!!!!!!! There isn't enough room here to fit all the problems we had with our various range rovers. What makes it worse is after three years of being without one, my wife now wants another one!

When mine got to 60k miles and about 6 years old gearbox went, radiator went and hoses split, needed new bushes all round as it rattled and handled like a boat with them knackered, also various electrical bits started to break, such as steering column and central locking, serious dosh spent

Great car but can be a money pit when things go wrong.

Quite want another one though been just about long enough to forget its issues! In the preceding years pretty much nothing went wrong at all though, until it fell apart!

The Evoque also!!??...wife wants one as a dd .

No I think the '10+ Rovers have been much better. I have a '12 LR4 (same platform as the RRS) that I've put 27k miles on with zero issues.

I have an 07 Supercharged Fullsized and love it. 140K km's on it. Its had ball joints done, break pads and a rear bushing but its also a 6000lbs vehicle. I've heard both sides, I have a friend who bought one new in 07 and also never any issues.. so cant comment on the horror stories. All I know is that at six foot four living in a country with snow 9 months of the year I can not think of a better vehicle. The Cayenne, X5 etc are tiny in comparison. Im not a huge fan of the sport, but I like the G55 and RR because I dig the boxy look. You need to remember its a 130K SUV, it's like a Gallardo or Murci, might be great, might have issues and if they do it'll be $$.

Had and still have various LR's & RRvrs' for years. I have been very fortunate as aside from the regular maintenance, it has been great. That being said, I had seen some horrors at the shop of the dealership. So it's really a hit or miss thing for Land Rovers; perhaps the joke about never buy a car made on a Friday afternoon/Monday morning is true. I agree that MY10 onward, the quality had improved substantially.

Between that and the M3, one would think you'd be sick of lemons by now.

Unfortunately that is not the only cars problems I have had. I lemoned a Jaguar and 2 other BMW's as well. And if the RR had been my DD, I would have probably got that lemoned too.

Somewhat ironic since I actually own a lemon grove and literally have an unlimited supply.

Unfortunately that is not the only cars problems I have had. I lemoned a Jaguar and 2 other BMW's as well. And if the RR had been my DD, I would have probably got that lemoned too.

Somewhat ironic since I actually own a lemon grove and literally have an unlimited supply.

That's what I was getting at. Now all you need to do is name the rows and trees after past vehicles. :lol2:

LOL!

I had an 04 HSE DD which was a continuous disaster, but that is true of all the BMW built cars. They had some major design flaws that were really unforgivable given that it was the "most expensive design/build program in the history of automotive blah blah" at the time.

The Jaguar built cars were much better. I replaced the 04 with a 2010 and had no trouble whatsoever.

The interesting thing with Range Rovers is they really do seem to have a lot of character over other SUVs. I know a lot of folks who have had continuous issues with different versions over the years but STILL go back for more (I still have my 95 County Classic)...

My best friend had an '07 RRS for just about 50k miles and 5yrs. I was in it almost on a daily basis and he never had an issue. I know that is a rare statement when describing RR's but it is the God's honest truth. He has had a '13 RRS for two yrs now and he has had small issues that have been an annoyance more than anything. Still been solid though.

we put 30k miles on a new 2012 sport supercharged, no issues, but the interior wore quick, electronics were a disaster, not a great experience....

Wow, thanks to eveyone for the replies. Lots of great information and humour too. Cheers.

Which other SUVs are on the list?

To answer your question, and to be more specific around price, I am looking at somethimg in the $35,000 range.

Also on the list are (and would be newer than 06-08):

BMW X5

Infiniti FX

Acura MDX

Audi Q5

Benz ML500

Toyota 4Runner

No kids yet and it really is just to beat around town and head to the mountains with gear and friends... and the dog (large retriever). I am going to start test driving likely next weekend. Thanks again everyone.

Wow, thanks to eveyone for the replies. Lots of great information and humour too. Cheers.

To answer your question, and to be more specific around price, I am looking at somethimg in the $35,000 range.

Also on the list are (and would be newer than 06-08):

BMW X5

Infiniti FX

Acura MDX

Audi Q5

Benz ML500

Toyota 4Runner

No kids yet and it really is just to beat around town and head to the mountains with gear and friends... and the dog (large retriever). I am going to start test driving likely next weekend. Thanks again everyone.

Nice list. I am stubborn. I will usually just buy what I like after test driving. The best way to learn about ownership is through experience!

Take a look at Lexus SUVs also. That's where I would dump my $