Porsche Guys........Need Help! Please.

Pretzel_Guy

I had someone approach me about a car they have decided to sell (I have a dealers licence, and buy/sell from time to time on the side).

Here is what I know so far:

---1973 Porsche 911S Targa---

*Silver over Black

*100% Complete car (as it was last time it was driven)

*I am told all original parts, no modifications.

*Hasn't been licensed or driven since 2006.

I will get plenty of pictures of it.

I have done a little research, but I need input from you that really know.

Based on what you've read......

Is this car anything special?

Is there any real value to it?

Desirable?

I have built/restored classic cars, but they have all been 60s-70s muscle cars.

I know that prices have jumped on older Porsche the last 2-3 years, but I am very uneducated on them.

Any real help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Any help at all, ideas, thoughts, comments(I know thats loaded on here), are welcome.

(I put this in the general section thinking it would get more traffic, if that is wrong I apologize.)

I am interested in the car for myself. I've been halfway looking for a 73 for a while as that is my birth year. Please keep me in mind and this could be quick and easy. Thanks.

I just sold my 1974 911 S that was MINT with a rare color combo and had a lot of trouble selling it but I wouldn't take anything less than $33k and that's exactly what I got after two months of BS.

I was in the market last year for the EXACT car that you are referring to. To answer some of your questions, yes, the targas have value, but not as much as a coupe, unless you have a guy that is specifically looking for a targa. The market for the 67-73 cars is still very strong, especially for a numbers matching "S" car, but in my opinion has started to cool down. You still see high auction estimates on these cars but not infrequently they are no sales. If you want to post the asking price, I can give you a better estimate of where the market currently lies.

Thank you for the feedback.

Headed to look at it now, I will get pics and post for opinions.

Update.

The car is being stored in a small building on the property. It has been on jack stands since it was put there in 2006.

*Car was purchased new by his father.

*He got it in 1980.

*Complete car w/ full size spare.

*Engine rebuilt in 1989.

*All documentation/paperwork of services

I will have a lot more info on it next week. I apologize for the quality of these pics, it was very difficult to photo in the garage with the lighting.

Any info on what you think a fair price would be in its current non-running condition would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

WIthout knowing much about the mechanical condition of the car in question or if there is any serious rust involved, I can tell you that when I was looking last year at silver '73 S targas in basically 2+ condition (essentially cars that needed zero but were not quite at concours level) that they were actually getting sold for about 150K. The car in your pix is no where near the same level of condition of cars I was looking at but the market has gone up a small amount since the time I was active. Hope that gives you some kind of guidance.

Budget 25k for the body and probably about the same for all mechanical. The car is complete from the looks of it. New floor parts will be about 5k plus install, rotisserie paint another 15 plus rechrome of parts. You need to look at the bottom and suspension mounting points. I think if you could get it for 15-25k you'd have a solid foundation. Parts have gotten pricey on these, check out sierra madre collection and stoddards for parts you KNOW you will need. I have a 65 in good shape but there is always a few hundred here a few hundred there... As long as parts aren't missing, most can be restored. News pistons and cylinders are about 3500 and a trans rebuild about 3k... Theoretically 85k restored is not impossible

Luckily old Porsches are easy to work on just time consuming. If u can pull the motor crate it and take it to a shop, pull the seats take it to an upholsterer etc you'll save a ton of $$

Budget 25k for the body and probably about the same for all mechanical. The car is complete from the looks of it. New floor parts will be about 5k plus install, rotisserie paint another 15 plus rechrome of parts. You need to look at the bottom and suspension mounting points. I think if you could get it for 15-25k you'd have a solid foundation. Parts have gotten pricey on these, check out sierra madre collection and stoddards for parts you KNOW you will need. I have a 65 in good shape but there is always a few hundred here a few hundred there... As long as parts aren't missing, most can be restored. News pistons and cylinders are about 3500 and a trans rebuild about 3k... Theoretically 85k restored is not impossible

I don't disagree with any of your comments except that i don't believe anyone would part with such a car for 25k . I don't think the early 911's are anything super special but the market seems to think so, the prices have gone through the roof, i have seen some 911s models sell for 250k which i think is ridiculous.

I agree....as great as a 993t is I don't see a 200k car.... Driving a 65-early 70's 911 is a spiritual experience. The issue with a car like this is: if you drop it off at a porsche restoration company you'll be looking at a year and a ton of $$$.., for a flip it's not worth it... Your cash will be tied up and you won't turn much profit... A very tidy 911s targa could be 120k but again the restoration will be 50-75k and a year.

If you do a lot of work yourself, it still takes a long time, lots of $$ invested....

Original owners who have them sitting around are in god same dilemma..... Most people dont have 50-75k just sitting around, and rich speculators want a turn key here's a check where's my concours car.....

Thank you to those who have contributed on and off the site. I have a couple offers and another coming in the next day or two. I hope he will get one that he's happy with.