Cayman GT4

cake

Gorgeous! Cobalt is my fav blue Porsche color.
It's Sapphire Blue if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks BusDriver! I appreciate your comparison comments.

Enjoy your beautiful ride!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is making the decision of getting my wife a Cayman as her track car a lot easier (she is starting to outgrow the panamera on track). Plus the hidden agenda is I sort of want one, been hearing so many good things about caymans. Cayman GTS for her though, need/want the PDK.

This is making the decision of getting my wife a Cayman as her track car a lot easier (she is starting to outgrow the panamera on track). Plus the hidden agenda is I sort of want one, been hearing so many good things about caymans. Cayman GTS for her though, need/want the PDK.
A dear friend's wife has started track driving. She has a 2015 base Cayman. She decided after her 2nd track event - she probably needs more power. Her hubby (who is a dear friend and track "husband") has a hidden agenda of wanting a Cayman GTS. There's a good likelihood they'll order one. She is going to make a final decision at her next (third ever) track event. If alll goes well and she feels her car is under powered - GTS allocation here they come!

He (my friend) fully understands that it is utterly ridiculous for his newbie track driving wife to need more power. She needs to build some skill....BUT....if it makes her happy and in favor of spending time at the track he is in favor of it (and they both earn a very comfortable living and can well afford it if they so choose). I don't blame him one bit. Many of the guys I meet say they wish their wife/GF/SO would go with them to the track.

One way to get an excellent test drive is to do the Porsche Sport Driving School at Birmingham. They use Cayman S for autocross, and they had Caymans on the track as well. I assume you can also book a Cayman experience at the new center in Atlanta.

They are fantastic track cars. Beautifully balanced. I was sliding all over the track this past weekend (on brand new Michelin Pilot SS) and other than a couple tank slappers that was my own fault cause I was pushing too hard and having a blast - the car is beautifully balanced and very intuitive to reign in once it loses grip.

I did drive a Panamera GTS on track at Birmingham - one of the best surprises of the weekend! But obviously a P-mera is a big, heavy car and even though fun on track very expensive relative to the consumables - compared to a smaller lighter car like a Cayman.

If you are looking to buy used I've seen several GTS come up recently from people who got a GT4 allocation and want to make room in the garage. If looking to build one I think allocations may be a bit tight so don't delay.....

I'm not big on internet forums, but enjoy reading this one and would like to buy a Lamborghini at some point.

Don't know about Cayman R, but compared to 911 GT models...GT4 is not as sharp/racey as a GT3 RS or even a GT3, but a *lot more fun*. I prefer the GT4 to any 911. Most fun of any current Porsche!

very nice!

Yes the panamera is hard on consumables!

One problem she is having now with the panamera (we only have a 4) is that she feels like she is driving a better line (instructors agree) than other people but they are pulling away from her. We both have discussed and know it is not "racing" and going fast in that sense shouldn't matter but it is hard psychologically to not be able to keep up with most people at least and always feel like you are an obstacle on the track to get around. So I understand her want for a faster car. (and like your buddy said, I have a wife that is enjoying tracking I am going to keep it that way!!)

I have heard the GTS can be a pain to get if your cards don't line up with allocations. We are in no rush so I can wait it out if need be or look for the right used one to come up. We are in Boston so I have a long period now at this point until our next "track days" seasons starts full steam and we would want to have the cayman. :(

On the testing it on track front we are going to LV for SEMA in Nov and I already have our exotics racing line up booked. Both of us have ample laps in the cayman to see if we like it on track.

I am actually interested in going to something light and balanced. Right now I have a heavily (and I mean everything is modified) modified GTR so I am looking for something different and I think cayman might be it. All in all this track hobby is getting expensive with both of us running (I got in about 10 track days this season so far and my wife is at 4-5 so far, this has been our best year!). We are in intermediate group so I pay for instructor because I still like getting tips, pay someone to trailer my GTR so we can drive to track in one car, paying for tires/brakes/fluids on 2 heavy expensive cars that like to eat tires and brakes..... So I think it will make me happier for both of us to either use one smaller car or get 2 of them.

The panamera for what it is handles track days really well. Usually we always have someone that comes over and makes a comment that it is much faster than they thought it would be.

But I do have a recent love of porsche, I just feel like they best fit my lifestyle right now. I am even on the list for the 988 if it ever happens to replace my GTR.

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...

Some more thoughts on the GT4...

First the bad,

- Some modern features - hate the electric parking brake, stereo turns itself on like its haunted.

- Emissions compliance stuff - not that smooth between 2000 and 3000 rpm, as car is tuned for emissions instead of driveability in that rpm range. Also, forgets Sport and Exhaust settings at every startup.

- gearing too long in 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Third is good for 105 or 110 mph

Now, the good

- fantastic gear shift - feels great and lever is positioned perfectly

- sounds. Exhaust sounds great with perfect but not overdone pops and crackles. Also, just the right amount of gear whine makes it sound like a mini Carrera GT

- power is the perfect amount. Enough to get in trouble, but not so much that trouble is inevitable.

- Carbon bucket seats are perfect - feel great and look fantastic

- Looks absolutely gorgeous in sapphire blue metallic

Am enjoying the car so much that I driven it 1000 miles in 2 weeks. More enjoyable to drive than any car including 918/CGT/911 Turbo/GT3/GT3RS, and any modern production Ferrari or Lamborghini (!!). Overall, I absolutely love the car.

Great review. Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Radio comes on in the Cayman R at every start unless I turn it completely off.

It's the same in the LP560 and was a pet peeve. Didn't want to turn it off cause the rear view cam would also be off.

I researched if there was a way to disable this feature in the Lambo and never found a way. I eventually gave up.

Usually I'll mute it first thing. I prefer to hear when RPMs drop after the initial start.

I usually don't listen to music unless on a very long trip. Even then....not the entire trip.

I don't understand why some manufacurers make cars that do this.

We brought this home last week:

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_5031.JPG

IMG_5024.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

Keeping the C-R at least for now.

Only have 350 break in miles and of those - I've only pried it away from hubby for 100 miles! He positively LOVES the car. I do too, but will have a more complete idea once we are past break in.

It's not the best paint job, and yellow isn't my fave color. And of the four in our area so far - three are yellow, one black. I'd much rather have a different color even though the racing yellow is nice enough, and the launch color which is kinda cool.

We had the chance to buy one and my allocation position is poor - so we figured better to have one than probably not get one at all. If we are lucky enough to get a build slot we'll sell this one and build one to spec (which would include the LW CF sport buckets). This was was originally spec'd with the buckets but Porsche switched them out (without notice) to the 18 way comfy seats.

The car has incredible presence. I love the stance, the look, how low it is.

It's SO easy to drive. The torque reminds me of the C6 ZeeOOOSix - you just let out the clutch and it goes. I don't need to be nearly as careful as I am with the R.

The shifting is amazing. The FEEL of the shifter is very much a GT feel. I've extensively driven a friends 997.2 GT3 modified with lots of RS goodies, and this feels very similar to his car. The R is trickier to drive but that also makes it fun and rewarding too.

This one came with Dunlops. Treadwear rating of 60 - just like sport cup2 or Pirelli PZeroCorsa - so it'll be interesting to see how they are.

It won't go to the track until broken in which is likely next spring. Then I guess we'll see whether the R stays - although I've spent a couple years kitting it out perfectly - just for me. I hate to start all over again when I enjoy the R so much. Hubby would be happy keeping the GT4 as a fun street car (and maybe we will). It'll see some track time either way. How can we NOT take THAT car to the track at least to experience how it's meant to drive. But whether it turns into the track car (to replace the R) remains to be seen.

In the mean time....I'm a very lucky girl to have what I consider to be the best of both worlds, and a guy who loves the garage even more than I!

And thanks to the very small number of people who were in on this - for keeping it quiet until I was ready.

I had to hop a 14 hour flight to Dubai just to keep this secret a bit longer. The pics you were sending me were amazing. So excited for you two and I can't wait for you to get some more seat time so we get additional reviews and compare/contrast between the GT4 and the R.

Yes!!!!!

I had to hop a 14 hour flight to Dubai just to keep this secret a bit longer. The pics you were sending me were amazing. So excited for you two and I can't wait for you to get some more seat time so we get additional reviews and compare/contrast between the GT4 and the R.

Yes!!!!!

Thanks B! I could hear you screaming all the way from there!!! :icon_mrgreen:

I can't believe how much more aggressive the gt4 is compared to the R. Congrats that thing is incredible. Not a fan of yellow Porsches but damn it looks good!

Congrats Cake, that thing is bad ass!
Thank you!

I can't believe how much more aggressive the gt4 is compared to the R. Congrats that thing is incredible. Not a fan of yellow Porsches but damn it looks good!
Me too. Very aggressive stance. WAY lower than the R. It's almost funny seeing them side by side in the garage. The R looks so tame in comparison. For a yellow car it looks good but yellow still isn't my choice. I do like the racing yellow better than speed yellow which is more "mustard-like". Racing yellow is brighter, cleaner but it shows EVERY spec of dirt.

First the bad,

- Some modern features - hate the electric parking brake, stereo turns itself on like its haunted.

- Emissions compliance stuff - not that smooth between 2000 and 3000 rpm, as car is tuned for emissions instead of driveability in that rpm range. Also, forgets Sport and Exhaust settings at every startup.

Now, the good

- sounds. Exhaust sounds great with perfect but not overdone pops and crackles. Also, just the right amount of gear whine makes it sound like a mini Carrera GT

- power is the perfect amount. Enough to get in trouble, but not so much that trouble is inevitable.

Am enjoying the car so much that I driven it 1000 miles in 2 weeks. More enjoyable to drive than any car including 918/CGT/911 Turbo/GT3/GT3RS, and any modern production Ferrari or Lamborghini (!!). Overall, I absolutely love the car.

Wow, that's an incredible review!

Very cool to see these cars deliver so much under the radar. My 6th sense sensed that this could be a special car. :icon_thumleft:

We brought this home last week:

Keeping the C-R at least for now.

Only have 350 break in miles and of those - I've only pried it away from hubby for 100 miles! He positively LOVES the car. I do too, but will have a more complete idea once we are past break in.

It's not the best paint job, and yellow isn't my fave color. And of the four in our area so far - three are yellow, one black. I'd much rather have a different color even though the racing yellow is nice enough, and the launch color which is kinda cool.

We had the chance to buy one and my allocation position is poor - so we figured better to have one than probably not get one at all. If we are lucky enough to get a build slot we'll sell this one and build one to spec (which would include the LW CF sport buckets). This was was originally spec'd with the buckets but Porsche switched them out (without notice) to the 18 way comfy seats.

The car has incredible presence. I love the stance, the look, how low it is.

It's SO easy to drive. The torque reminds me of the C6 ZeeOOOSix - you just let out the clutch and it goes. I don't need to be nearly as careful as I am with the R.

The shifting is amazing. The FEEL of the shifter is very much a GT feel. I've extensively driven a friends 997.2 GT3 modified with lots of RS goodies, and this feels very similar to his car. The R is trickier to drive but that also makes it fun and rewarding too.

This one came with Dunlops. Treadwear rating of 60 - just like sport cup2 or Pirelli PZeroCorsa - so it'll be interesting to see how they are.

It won't go to the track until broken in which is likely next spring. Then I guess we'll see whether the R stays - although I've spent a couple years kitting it out perfectly - just for me. I hate to start all over again when I enjoy the R so much. Hubby would be happy keeping the GT4 as a fun street car (and maybe we will). It'll see some track time either way. How can we NOT take THAT car to the track at least to experience how it's meant to drive. But whether it turns into the track car (to replace the R) remains to be seen.

In the mean time....I'm a very lucky girl to have what I consider to be the best of both worlds, and a guy who loves the garage even more than I!

And thanks to the very small number of people who were in on this - for keeping it quiet until I was ready.

Congrats Cake, your GT4 looks great!

Looking forward to hearing track reports and general driving impressions going forward.

First the bad,

Now, the good

Wow! Pretty strong statement to say it is more enjoyable than a CGT/918.....I absolutely love driving my CGT - the epitome of input vs reward.

In any case, I saw the GT4 in Monterey and it really caught my eye. Beautiful car and looks very well balanced. Wish they were easier to get. Congrats to the owners.

I'm also curious as to how the GT4 would compare to an Exige on track.....

Wow! Pretty strong statement to say it is more enjoyable than a CGT/918.....I absolutely love driving my CGT - the epitome of input vs reward.

In any case, I saw the GT4 in Monterey and it really caught my eye. Beautiful car and looks very well balanced. Wish they were easier to get. Congrats to the owners.

I'm also curious as to how the GT4 would compare to an Exige on track.....

Yes, GT4 is more enjoyable but of course not as exciting as a CGT.

When I get in the CGT and start up the engine, my chest tightens and I am "on" before I even drive off. One wrong move with that car, and it will kill you - it is the most intense car I have driven, and an absolute masterpiece. There will never be another car like it. But enjoyable only when I am in the mood for it.

The GT4 is enjoyable almost any time and has none of the intimidation factor. The GT4 is a fine wine, the CGT is 80 proof moonshine, and the 918 is a synthetic designer drug...

When I get in the CGT and start up the engine, my chest tightens and I am "on" before I even drive off. One wrong move with that car, and it will kill you - it is the most intense car I have driven, and an absolute masterpiece. There will never be another car like it. But enjoyable only when I am in the mood for it.

The GT4 is enjoyable almost any time and has none of the intimidation factor. The GT4 is a fine wine, the CGT is 80 proof moonshine, and the 918 is a synthetic designer drug...

So that's why I'm so addicted to the 918!

Congrats Cake, your GT4 looks great!

Looking forward to hearing track reports and general driving impressions going forward.

Thank you! There was a yellow GT4 on track at Mid-OH this weekend and the owner is an instructor colleague. He is loving it. He took the dealer service manager for a session and I asked his impressions. Among other things he said, "it's got a lot of grunt". He (svc mgr) is also an instructor and has been in many cars including RS, race prepped R, cup cars, etc. For him to say it has plenty of grunt carries some weight.

When the GT4 was coming down the front straight it sounded GREAT! He would come past without any traffic around so we had a good chance to hear the car at full throttle. It's certainly not the loudest but it suits my preference perfectly. Loud enough to sound like business, great crackles and pops - but quiet enough that we can easily live with it when turning off sport exhaust button.

Cake huge congrats, I am so happy for you :icon_thumleft:
Thank you Fortis!!

Congrats! I drove one last Saturday and it was a blast.
I agree! Thanks!

Wow, so you got one, congrats! I am sure you will enjoy the heck out of it, it looks great.
Thank you, and thanks for helping out with your quick response to text and email with the info we were looking for.

The GT4 is a fine wine, the CGT is 80 proof moonshine, and the 918 is a synthetic designer drug...
One of the most quotable posts ever! Great analogy! Since I've only seen CGT and 918 but never driven or even sat in one I'll take your word for it!

Aw yes, good clarification.....great analogy, perhaps the GT4 is the "gateway" drug!

Really would love to drive the GT4

How did I miss this thread?

Huge congrats Cake! Enjoy!

Thank you!

After living with it for two weeks (and driving it exactly THREE times ;) ....some impressions

- BEST car by far I've ever shifted. LUV LUV LUV this manual - it's perfect

- Clutch feel is great. Stiffer than Cayman R, much stiffer than C6 ZeeOOO6 but not as stiff as GT3 (I've had a lot of seat time in a friend's). JUST RIGHT.

- Super tight/precise handling. It almost reads your mind. Point & shoot

- I don't understand how the suspension can be so comfortable on the street.

- Haven't tracked it yet but I know it'll be awesome. There was one on track at Mid-OH this past weekend and the Porsche dealer service manager went for a ride and said it's an amazing car (and he's been in them all and driven many)

About the yellow....it might be the WORST color I've ever lived with from the standpoint of staying clean. Even a short 10 minute ride to the grocery store results in the entire rear end covered with black dust. Just a light layer - but on almost every other color we've owned is more forgiving. The yellow contrasts with every spec of dirt. I don't know how you yellow lambo guys do it. I suspect if the paint had metallic flake it would be better - but even so.....

It's a pretty color and the car looks sharp but I would never buy another yellow car. If we have the chance to build our own (and sell this one) - it will be a darker color or a metallic color - but definitely not racing yellow.

On the grid at Mid-OH. A friend was the subject of a photo shoot for Panorama and they wanted our car parked on the grid. It stayed for awhile after the shoot was done.

IMG_1607.JPG

That car is super sexy! I'm really liking all the porsche line up now. Even the SUVs look really good.

Yes they do. My wife picked up a Macan in the spring and we absolutely love it.

Cake, congrats on the new toy. Can't wait to see it in person.