Amazon Fire TV Stick

HannibalACP82

Alright guys the move to AD is happing this week! I plan on running a router that is flashed with DD-WRT and has a VPN client installed right on it so that everything I do in my apartment looks like it is orriginating from the good ol'e US OF A!

Who has a fire stick from Amazon? I am thinking of getting a few to plug in to the TVs over here that way we can get:

Prime

You Tube

Hulu

Netflix

Anything else I should think of? Thanks!

Alright guys the move to AD is happing this week! I plan on running a router that is flashed with DD-WRT and has a VPN client installed right on it so that everything I do in my apartment looks like it is orriginating from the good ol'e US OF A!

Who has a fire stick from Amazon? I am thinking of getting a few to plug in to the TVs over here that way we can get:

Prime

You Tube

Hulu

Netflix

Anything else I should think of? Thanks!

It will do everything you want. I have two FireTV boxes (not the stick) but it's supposed to be the same interface etc and it's great. I have AppleTV as well and frankly use that more (have a huge music and video library on iTunes) but the FireTV is great. You can also let it access your computer and use it as a media server in case you have stored music or videos on tour computer.

It will do everything you want. I have two FireTV boxes (not the stick) but it's supposed to be the same interface etc and it's great. I have AppleTV as well and frankly use that more (have a huge music and video library on iTunes) but the FireTV is great. You can also let it access your computer and use it as a media server in case you have stored music or videos on tour computer.

Thanks. I bought a handful of them this morning anyway!

To the guys running kodi on the firestick's. I'm coming from a ATV2 which is now dead in the water (kodi-wise). Currently i'm airplaying content from macbook to the atv2. Considering picking up one of the Asus chromebook's. Would there be any advantage to one verse the other, meaning firestick vs. chromebook 1080p stability wise?

I have 2 with Kodi. A lot of the streams are dead. I think I have to update the sources. Now I have 1 Samsung TV where I can get Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

I have 2 with Kodi. A lot of the streams are dead. I think I have to update the sources. Now I have 1 Samsung TV where I can get Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, etc.

Your in the same boat as I am then. The ATV2 has been dropped from kodi, read here. The developers did what they could with 10 year old technology for as long as they could. The hardware in the ATV2 is super outdated and to cater to its outdated functionality brought more headaches than not. Kodi announced in January or so when they released version 14.2 "Helix" that it was the last update for the atv2. All of my apps that I used started dropping out as they shifted to the new updated software, "Isengard". The problem is that the developers can't keep the previous helix builds stable while running the current software. The way around that which works for me is installing Kodi on my macbook and airplaying media to the atv2, and living with 720p.

As of now the best solution is android based, if your using the ATV2 as a media hub. All of the options are inexpensive (sub$200) and will all allow streaming of 1080p raw, 3d, etc. Main issue is the loss of airplay which I'm playing off as a reason to shop for a new receiver. The amazon firestick, or asus chromebook are both on my radar as a permanent replacement.

• 3 months later...

Get a Roku. Roku is awesome! I don't even have cable because I rarely watch TV. But I can guarantee there is something I will like to watch whenever I use my Roku. :icon_thumleft:

Any updates on the firestick or fire tv? Did you guys do the kodi install yourself?

I didn't do the Kodi install myself but I am sure it is pretty easy if you are relatively familiar with installing software on a computer. My brother came over and said he installed it on his laptop and uses it. He updated my streams but I haven't really had time to even see what is out now.

My guess would be finding the most recent stable version might be the biggest obstacle.

I have the fire stick. If you are a Prime member it is an absolute no brainer. One of the best bang for buck entertainment devices out there.

I'm unsure how recent this is, but you can now install Kodi onto your FireStick without a PC. Just need to make sure you have wifi connection. I did it a couple nights ago and have been going to bed very late watching all the shows/movies that aren't on Netflix or Hulu. Haha.

I used the link below:

Any updates on the firestick or fire tv? Did you guys do the kodi install yourself?

Firesticks are here but I haven't set them up yet...still getting the DD-WRT router with open VPN up and running in the apartment.

I use adbfire to remote in via IP address to the firestick/tv's and drop the FTV file for download. I've also been loading the firestarter app as well to reprogram the home button function to load kodi. Takes me about 10-15 min to get a new firetv/stick loaded. Had awesome luck with "the beast" build for kodi up until a month ago or so.