Diablo Won't Start

Lfsglass

Battery died from sitting up for several weeks.

I brought the battery to the parts store and it would not accept a charge. They replaced the battery with a brand new one and I decided to connect a CTek while the wheel was off.

After installation was complete, I attempted to start the car but one click from what sounds like the starter and that is it. Turn key back and tried again, one click only.....

Any ideas on trouble shooting or narrowing down what it may be?

263ebcc7bfebb6172cdd91f3ad49fd51.jpg

I would start with tracing the ground wire to ensure it's not disconnected somewhere along the line, then I would look at the starter solenoid. I recently ran into this issue on my car and spent a few hours looking for other factors when it ended up being really simple. :icon_thumleft:

Also, not sure about the fuses on the Diablo, but I understand that some vehicles can blow a fuse when connecting a battery due to a bad fuse or the sudden power surge.

I would start with tracing the ground wire.

Also, not sure about the fuses on the Diablo, but I understand that some vehicles can blow a fuse when connecting a battery due to a bad fuse or the sudden power surge.

I will trace the ground and check the fuses, thanks.

Really dumb question, but was the new battery charged to begin with?

Not a dumb question, the new battery is fully charged though.

Check engine bay fuses and relays. You did not attempt to jump the old battery right or the jump connections in the engine bay?

Any place in particular to start looking. Any pics?

I haven't tried jumping it yet because I've read mixed opinions......

Does the electronics work at all?

Gauges and dummy lights seem to work fine. I don't recall which gauges function when the key is on but the car is not started though.

could be a starter solenoid or relay

Location? Pics?

Check the switch on cabin , mine did same thing and small pin on knob got loose so I used spare one from tool kit.

Switch is on. Dome light seems bright. Starter clicks. Wouldn't think it would click if the switch wasn't working.

I was hoping you didn't jump it, so that's good. On my 91 the fuses and relays are on the drivers side in the engine bay kind of above the oil filter area on top. I believe that contains fans, starter, fuel pumps relays. Not sure if that box is in that place on the SVs.

I had a problem with the diode in my alternator causing a direct short to ground. Had all of the same symptoms. disconnected the wire from the back of the alternator and the battery charged, I was able to start the car. Do not run it more than a few seconds without the alternator. New alternator is approx 1500.00 rebuilt for about 300.00

I had a problem with the diode in my alternator causing a direct short to ground. Had all of the same symptoms. disconnected the wire from the back of the alternator and the battery charged, I was able to start the car. Do not run it more than a few seconds without the alternator. New alternator is approx 1500.00 rebuilt for about 300.00

How accessible (or inaccessible) is the alternator?

• 2 weeks later...
I would bet anything on poor battery connection. Pickup a cheap ($3) battery terminal brush at the auto parts store and really scuff up your battery terminals and connections. Good luck!

If there is an alarm, make sure the red light is not lit before turning the key (press unlock on fob if it is lit).

I've also seen several Diablo owners turn their on then off then on, four cycles, then ignition. I dunno if it's an electrical contact issue or just voodoo.

PS Optima batteries are junk and do not fare well in exotics or other vehicles that do not see daily use.

If you do use the optima do not charge it with the regular battery setting on that ctek. Use the winter storage mode only on the optima. I've read that the ctek can kill an optima in that full charge mode. (i use a ctek, winter mode on all batteries... It's better for the cells to trickle charge)

I did not love my optima red top either. Alternator ...I believe you need to remove the coolant pipes to get the alternator out but can't remember for sure. Maybe the exhaust heat shield too. Easy Diablos are the same as a Porsche 928. Not sure about later Diablos. Can pick up a high output remanufactured one for less than 300 if I recall right. There was just a spacer on the alternator mounting bolt that wasn't needid with the new alternator for it to line up right.

If there is an alarm, make sure the red light is not lit before turning the key (press unlock on fob if it is lit).

I've also seen several Diablo owners turn their on then off then on, four cycles, then ignition. I dunno if it's an electrical contact issue or just voodoo.

PS Optima batteries are junk and do not fare well in exotics or other vehicles that do not see daily use.

If you do use the optima do not charge it with the regular battery setting on that ctek. Use the winter storage mode only on the optima. I've read that the ctek can kill an optima in that full charge mode. (i use a ctek, winter mode on all batteries... It's better for the cells to trickle charge)

I only recommend Deka batteries to my clients. They make top quality batteries and i love that there US made and local to Fabspeed.

• 3 months later...

Did you get your car going? What ended up being the problem?

I had optima batteries before, but once they go down low once, they are usually ruined. So I have been using the die-hard platinum batteries since and have been happy.

Did you get your car going? What ended up being the problem?

I had optima batteries before, but once they go down low once, they are usually ruined. So I have been using the die-hard platinum batteries since and have been happy.