i8

jhbchess

Just picked it up today and it seems like a pretty fun car for a DD. Storage space is laughable. Access to the front cover is restricted to the service center. The rear has space for a rolling bag or some light overnight stuff. There's a 5 piece LV luggage set made for it but it doesn't look wheeled so that's less than appealing.

Flipped through the manual and it has some interesting stuff. Very tech intensive and gadgety.

Has some cool exposed CF parts around the door sills.

Car seemed peppy and responsive on the short ride home. Will out some miles on it this week and post some more. Here are some pics in the meantime!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was going to pick one up as a dd but it's way too much of a pain in the ass to get in and out of. Great looking car though, congrats!

I was going to pick one up as a dd but it's way too much of a pain in the ass to get in and out of. Great looking car though, congrats!

Agreed, the doors are a deal breaker for me.

It is a deep car but the entry is a lot like how I get into my Performante which is lowered, turn with my back toward the driver seat and sit down on the door sill and swing legs in. I'm 5'9 and 185 though. The seat bolstering would make it uncomfortable for someone wider than me. If you're 225 it probably won't be comfy.

Looks good in black. I checked one out a few weeks ago, I found it easy to get in and out of and very roomy. Of course I am used to those types of doors on the Mclarens I previously owned. Congrats!

Looks good in black. I checked one out a few weeks ago, I found it easy to get in and out of and very roomy. Of course I am used to those types of doors on the Mclarens I previously owned. Congrats!

For Vbug, the long legs make it easier. It has a very wide sill like a lotus Elise.

JBChess, did you think the electric to engine handoff was spotty? When I got on the car I felt the software dropped the ball and there was a lag between electric to engine. It almost felt like turbo lag felt.

JBChess, did you think the electric to engine handoff was spotty? When I got on the car I felt the software dropped the ball and there was a lag between electric to engine. It almost felt like turbo lag felt.

In "Comfort" mode it did feel that way off the line on my drive home, like the electric motors got me rolling but slowly and then the engine kicked in. Turbo lag is a good way to describe it. I didn't feel it that way in the "Sport" mode. I'll play around with it in the different modes off the line and shifting at regular speeds and pay attention to it.

I stuck it in the garage for now, have clear bra appointment and detailing scheduled for Tuesday and-this being Houston--I don't want to press my luck too much with too much highway driving till the front end is covered.

I did convince my wife to switch garages with me so the toys can sleep together. ;)

image.jpeg

I can't speak to the i8, however in the i3 when the 2 cylinder kicks in, it is quite loud and harsh sounding. The engine noise is unrelated to speed, which is a little odd. Also if you draw more energy than the engine can produce it will cut power, sometimes dramatically. One time I was stuck on the freeway maxed out at 55 mph going up hill with minimal AC on a super hot day. It sucked. BMW has a software update for the i3 (which I have yet to get) to improve the switch over and pending notification of loss of power.

The i8 uses a different system where the gas engine works in concert with the batteries, not an either or situation like in the i3. I'm sure BMW will becoming out with a similar update for the i8.

First one I have seen in all black, looks good. Congrats on the purchase. They grow on you.

In "Comfort" mode it did feel that way off the line on my drive home, like the electric motors got me rolling but slowly and then the engine kicked in. Turbo lag is a good way to describe it. I didn't feel it that way in the "Sport" mode. I'll play around with it in the different modes off the line and shifting at regular speeds and pay attention to it.

I stuck it in the garage for now, have clear bra appointment and detailing scheduled for Tuesday and-this being Houston--I don't want to press my luck too much with too much highway driving till the front end is covered.

I did convince my wife to switch garages with me so the toys can sleep together. ;)

In sport mode the engine is always on so the delay may be the engine cranking in comfort mode.

First one I have seen in all black, looks good. Congrats on the purchase. They grow on you.

Thanks! It's actually a very dark metallic gray they call Sophisto Gray with some lighter gray accents ("frozen gray") instead of the BMW blue. I will post some pics in different light but it's hard to photograph.

In sport mode the engine is always on so the delay may be the engine cranking in comfort mode.

Ah that explains it.

Nice - congrats. I am probably going to seal the deal on one tomorrow.

Awesome! What color scheme are you going for?

[see the contrast between the black in the BMW emblem and the hood color]

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I played around today and figured it some things out:

In /Comfort Mode/ (which is electric primary and engine for boost), there is a noticeable lag from when you mash the accelerator to when the engine cuts in and launches you. Real world example: I'm turning right on a red light and inching forward to make the turn, looks clear so I start to go when a dodge charger comes roaring through his green light. If I keep creeping into my right hand turn I'll cut him off so I tag the accelerator expecting to zip off but there's a big pause before it does.

In /Sport Mode/ (engine primary and electric boosting the front wheels) there's no lag. It's fast as fcuk off the line, darting into openings in traffic, dusting cars at stoplights, etc. The electric+engine is a bad, bad mamba jamba. So much fun. I also like how when you select Sport mode the interior dash lights change from cool blue to evil red and all the Eco-boost electronic gauges are replaced with a big Tac and a boost meter.

In the /Eco Mode/ (electric primary, maximize efficiency) I'd expect it to be like comfort mode or slower. The manual says in Eco the car will regulate the throttle responsiveness to maximize efficiency.

In /E-Drive Mode/ (all electric) I'd expect the Dodge Charger to smash into the i8.

So far I have driven mostly in Comfort mode. I will probably start switching into Sport if I'm trying to cross traffic or do something nimble from a standstill or crawl.

In /Sport Mode/ (engine primary and electric boosting the front wheels) there's no lag. It's fast as fcuk off the line, darting into openings in traffic, dusting cars at stoplights, etc. The electric+engine is a bad, bad mamba jamba. So much fun. I also like how when you select Sport mode the interior dash lights change from cool blue to evil red and all the Eco-boost electronic gauges are replaced with a big Tac and a boost meter.

Told you!

If anyone is looking for a Protonic Blue i8 with the blue seatbelts, there's a brand new one at my local dealership that is available. The guy who put the deposit on it is passing I guess.

Email Jared at BMW West Houston for details: [email protected]

image.jpeg

Would you vbox the i8? Inquiring minds want to know! :eusa_dance:

Will-do! It's getting clear bra and Modesta this weekend so when I get it back I'll take it to the same spot I vbox the gaillardo. It's a 2% decline I think.

Will-do! It's getting clear bra and Modesta this weekend so when I get it back I'll take it to the same spot I vbox the gaillardo. It's a 2% decline I think.

What's a modesta?

If you drive in electric mode will it kick into a different mode / start the engine if you floor it or will it purely stay in electric mode until it's depleted?

Driving impressions?

How's the tech - any recommendations for settings?

What's a modesta?

If you drive in electric mode will it kick into a different mode / start the engine if you floor it or will it purely stay in electric mode until it's depleted?

Driving impressions?

How's the tech - any recommendations for settings?

Modesta is a paint protection coating that's getting pretty popular down here. It's a liquid glass sealant that helps stop scratches and replaces waxing, comes with a 3-7 year warranty depending on who installs it. Cool video here

and website here: http://modestausa.com

The tech is bad ass, but you need to separately buy the snap-in iPhone adapter. I'll edit this post add some pics in a minute so you can see the part number. The BMW website SUCKS in this regard because it has no option for purchasing this for the i8 (it doesn't even list the i8 in the drop down menus) but I went to the dealership and was able to buy it. I got the universal adapter because it's large enough to accommodate the phone with a case on it, but there's an iPhone specific one without the little wire but some people complain you can't dock the phone into it with the case still on it.

Once your phone is linked in you have some badass apps you can download and run in the car. I've got a BMW lap timer, a BMW remote control app for the car (unlock/lock, find its GPS location on a map, flash the headlights, honk the horn, turn on the A/C or heat, look at all your MPG and efficiency stats, see what the battery charge is like), etc. I'm still trying to learn my way around the in-car menus, there's so much tech it's a little overwhelming.

As far as driving goes, yes the engine will always kick in if you floor the accelerator or if the mode you're in can't handle the load. The display flashes a message that says something like "Insufficient Power In This Driving Mode" and cuts the engine in. The driving modes are really cool, Comfort, Eco-Pro and Sport. I've only put 150 or so miles on it but my favorite mode so far is Comfort mode with the engine enabled.

Eco-Pro is supposedly the most efficient mode but it also regulates your climate control and throttle input to maintain max efficiency. You can use Eco-Pro with or without the engine. If you want Eco-Pro + All Electric you click the E-Drive button. Otherwise Eco-Pro will just make judicious use of the engine for regulating battery charge and load with the goal of maximizing MPG.

Comfort is what I've liked the best. It does engine cut in/cut out but doesn't try to maximize MPG, it just responds to what you ask it to do and it doesn't override your climate controls or throttle inputs like Eco-Pro will do. You can use Comfort with or without the engine, the E-Drive button works with this too. Comfort mode with e-drive is super stealthy and fun. If I'm not getting on the highway I've been crushing around like this.

The all-electric battery range is really like 15-20 miles, not 25. I wish it were 50. But if you run in Sport or Comfort mode, the engine will recharge the battery. So you can conceivably go forever without actually plugging the car into a charging outlet and just rely on the gas engine to recharge your battery (does this most efficiently in Sport mode).

The car comes with a 110v charger and it seems sufficient. Recharges the car in 3-4 hours. You can mount it on the wall if you want to.

BMW and Bosch will pay for an electrician to come do a house survey to tell you where they could install a wall charger. I was disappointed to learn I basically have to install the charger right next to an electrical panel (or within easy distance for running new electrical lines to the panel) because it requires a new 30 amp fuse to be installed. Also, don't bother buying the BMW branded charger, it's 3x as large as it needs to be and looks like a phone booth. Bosch sells a PowerMax and PowerExpress product that are better, smaller and cheaper. This guy has a good blog about the differences: http://insideevs.com/home-installation-lev...e-electric-car/

I'm going to get the Bosch PowerExpress: http://www.pluginnow.com/power-xpress because you can install it into a wall plug (electrician will install a big NEMA plug, like the kind you'd plug a computer server or a heavy-duty electric drier into) and the charged can plug right into the NEMA plug. Then you can take the charger down and move it, or plug an RV or a Tesla into the NEMa plug if you ever need to. The BMW charger and the powermax both have to be hardwired into the wall (or the warranty is voided), so you'd need an electrician to help you move it.

When do you pick up your ride? I'm excited to see the pics and hear how you like it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi! Thanks for the response!

Modesta sounds interesting - i had a full PPF on my Speciale so will check out the site later.

When you say snap in adaptor do you mean some sort of dock / cradle for it for use in the car?

Heating the car here in London for the winter prior to entry in the mornings will be amazing!

I'm really curious to see if i'll be able to get to work and back every day (

The car actually was meant to be collected this weekend but when conducting the PPI (it has 1200 miles on it) they found a leak on a turbo seal. Instead of fixing the seal they opted to replace the entire turbo under warranty (i'm sure overly cautious so they could get $$$ from BMW) so with a lead time of 4-5 days for the unit as of last Thursday and installation i am guessing Friday of next week at the earliest which sucks as i'm away for a month after that and will only get a few days usage out of it!

I should get my car back tomorrow or the next day and I'll start seeing how far I can really go all electric. My daily commute is about 22 miles one way and I don't yet have an outlet or charger at work so Ill have to run gas some of the time.

Yes for the phone there's a spot under the center console kid for you to install a cradle for the phone. The cradle also acts as an antenna enhancer for the phone reception. It just snaps into a spot in the console and can snap out. There's no separate usb or charger port inside that console so if you don't use that for your phone then you have to stick it in a cup holder and have a wire running to the USB port by the shifter.

Here's a pick of the cradle before snapping it in.

image.jpeg