Volkswagen AG stock 23% down

RM-S8

So I'm responsible for the pollution of 20m cars? LOL! You should see the fuel these things burn, if it cools down it has the consistency of tar, if it gets too cold it turns into a solid.

Ship fuels are very sulphuric. Or used to be around 6-7%. International law rules max sulphur content of 3,5% from 2012. Starting from 1.1.2020 it will be 0,5% max. But for example in our baltic ocean (SECA area) maximum allowed has been 0,01% from start of 2015!

Not that any passing russian ship would really give a damn about it.

You should propably consider the effects of pollution. And you could use the argument of using cleaner fuel in positive marketing.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I'm responsible for the pollution of 20m cars? LOL! You should see the fuel these things burn, if it cools down it has the consistency of tar, if it gets too cold it turns into a solid.

200m :lol2:

Good thing you got that I3 for the offset :lol2:

Yeah I've read that bunker fuel is barely above road tar. Iirc the ships have a boiler system just to heat the fuel so it's fluid enough to be injected. Sounds like some nasty shit!

I remember I'd get sick feeling at the end of each school day.

Imagine how your teachers must have felt.

I may be mistaken, but didn't the government outlaw those diesel tuning computers you can buy? Regarding the soot coming out of a diesel, at least from what I've read (also not an expert), the thing is that while it looks very dirty, it doesn't stay in the air but rather settles back down to the ground. Whereas the gasoline engine may look a lot cleaner, but the emissions it emits stay in the air.

You're once again incorrect on every possible point. Impressive as usual.

Ever seen a diesel truck cloud out an intersection or blanket the entire lane with soot? I'm sure it's heavier than pure gas emissions, but that crap lingers at low levels for quite some time.

Just to be clear as I am a dumbo on all this, but is enriched uranium not allowed on the market because it can be used to make nuclear weapons?

Enriched Uranium is on a "market" but the sellers and buyers are highly regulated. My company manufactures fuel and sells it around the globe. That being said you can't just ring up Westinghouse and ask for 5 kg of Uranium.

As for making a bomb out of it there is a big difference between 3% enriched that is powering your nuke plant and the 98% powering your military vessels. 3% would get you a nice dirty bomb but nothing like Hiroshima or anything in our current arsenal.

Diesel smog has a shit load more (than gasoline) very unhealthy particles that never leave your lungs once inhaled. Inhale it often and you will have cancer guaranteed.

Yup. Whether you 'believe' in human-activity-contributed climate change or not (in other words, whether you listen to scientific consensus), the big problem here is from diesel particulates (primarily NOx), which have nothing to do with gobal warming.

These are local pollutants which hang in the air and damage your lung tissue when you breathe them in. People are affected to varying extents, but on average, you're estimated to be twice as likely to be killed by air pollution (of which diesel particulates are the primary component) than by a car crash.

It's true that commercial traffic is far more polluting than cars, but unless you live by a dock or a heavy vehicle route, it's local runabouts that'll be the biggest risk factors in giving you a respiratory disease (primarily lung cancer). A car with 40 times the particulates can potentially be doing 40 times the damage.

Ok - so take the past / future mileage and VW cuts them a check.

EPA should have caught this but did not and now has more egg on their face than VW.

Still fail to see the bug deal :)

I will tell you what the big deal is, it's called Fraud. When you deceive someone with false claims to sell your product, it is fraud. When they remedy the cars, and who knows when that will be, the owners will be stuck with a car that does not perform to specification as well as a car that does not get the same fuel economy. Therefore, the consumer is left with something that they didn't actually buy.

I am waiting to see what happens. I have a '14 TDi Passat SEL. I took advantage of the 0% interest they were offering as I bought it through my company. If they don't fix the issue to my satisfaction, I will leave it in my driveway with the keys in it and stop paying the note. Problem solved for me.

Yeah... on one hand it's fcuking diabolical. On the other (and i'm anything but a tree hugging hippie) they were polluting with some seriously dangerous shit way off the charts. I'm sure it won't sink the company, but there is a HUGE chance some execs will face criminal charges and it will be a clusterfuck for several years to come. The biggest headache (after the potential $18B) will be that for all the effected cars they either need to retrofit pieces that bring them in compliance, or take them off the road via buyback. For owners this is a huge issue, because the retrofit will undoubtedly hurt power and worse yet mpg. So if they do some retrofit fix that drastically affects either of those, they will be paying out to owners as well in one way or another.

Getting through this without seriously pissing off their entire market base will be the biggest challenge. Some serious owner ass kissing will be in order to keep everyone from washing their hands of the whole brand.

Rouleur: You have had a lot of problems with your TDI? Shit, I thought those cars held their value like a mofo. I see 10yr old shitboxes with 300k out here still selling for $10k+. For a daily commuter i'd rock a 6spd manual tdi, or I thought I would.

I had a ton of problems with my GTi. Specifically with the DSG transmission. It blew up at 100k miles and is unfixable. Bought an Audi Avant after that and loved it. Traded it for the TDi, and regretted every minute. Transmission, at least in mine, sucks. They don't educate you on the servicing needs of the car when you buy it. I thought I had investigated most of it, but wasn't aware of some stuff. AdBlue is not included in oil changes. It is an extra 25 bucks or so per 10k miles of driving. Oil change is 80 bucks on a 4 cyl, my wife's van takes over 5 quarts and is 35 bucks all in at the Honda store. You have to change the fuel filter every 20k miles or risk frying the injectors. You still have to do a service to the DSG transmission every 40k miles to the tune of 350 bucks a copy.

When you start to add all the servicing costs, the car makes less sense. Then, you have a weak car to begin with. One buddy lost his engine at 65k miles, right after the power train warranty expired. They left him holding the bag for a 7k engine replacement. Always serviced at the dealer. My other buddy just lost the fuel system on his. He is outside the powertrain, which I doubt would have covered it, but VW stepped up and replaced it to the tune of 8k. They also paid him for rental expenses and flying him back out to AZ to pick the car up. It died by the Grand Canyon.

I wish I would have bought a gas car. My life would have been a lot easier. The gas mileage is like crack, but when you add it all up, it isn't exactly what it is purported to be.

I will tell you what the big deal is, it's called Fraud. When you deceive someone with false claims to sell your product, it is fraud. When they remedy the cars, and who knows when that will be, the owners will be stuck with a car that does not perform to specification as well as a car that does not get the same fuel economy. Therefore, the consumer is left with something that they didn't actually buy.

:iamwithstupid:

The primary reason people buy diesels is for the mileage. The fix will inevitably hurt that along with the power.

People can view the emissions aspect however they wish, but it's the deceit which will be most damaging in the long term. You paid a couple grand more for ~10+mpg and more power, which very well may end up being a wash compared to the 1.8T. There would be some compensation in order to account for that.

I am driving a diesel Benz on loan at the moment because Benz failed to deliver my C63, my car is 2 months late from the initial promised delivery date, some moron in their office forgot to place the order while sitting on a contract and cashed my deposit, anyway that's a different story for another day, they gave me a diesel ML to drive, biggest POS I drove in a long time, took it back after two days, they replaced it with a C class diesel, this thing sound like a farm tractor, at idle you can't hear yourself talk, the clunkiest thing I've sat in lately, these are brand new cars, diesels are rubbish, I don't care about fuel consumption I just want something which drivers properly and sounds like a car should.

I certainly hope the C63 is better, at this stage, after the recent experience with Benz, all I can say is that I am concerned, very concerned.

this thing sound like a farm tractor, at idle you can't hear yourself talk, the clunkiest thing I've sat in lately, these are brand new cars,

Now you know what any kind of ICE vehicle feels like after driving electric for a while :icon_mrgreen:

I am driving a diesel Benz on loan at the moment because Benz failed to deliver my C63, my car is 2 months late from the initial promised delivery date, some moron in their office forgot to place the order while sitting on a contract and cashed my deposit, anyway that's a different story for another day, they gave me a diesel ML to drive, biggest POS I drove in a long time, took it back after two days, they replaced it with a C class diesel, this thing sound like a farm tractor, at idle you can't hear yourself talk, the clunkiest thing I've sat in lately, these are brand new cars, diesels are rubbish, I don't care about fuel consumption I just want something which drivers properly and sounds like a car should.

I certainly hope the C63 is better, at this stage, after the recent experience with Benz, all I can say is that I am concerned, very concerned.

Thats surprising, all the newer diesels I have been in are quite nice and don't sound like much of anything. Though MB doesn't have the greatest track record in the diesel department.

They really only make sense if you drive 100+ miles a day. The fuel consumption and engine longevity pays dividends there, if you'll drive it for the intended lifetime (300k+ miles). Buying one to drive for a year or two is pointless, you'll never recover the cost delta, other than the benefit of going to the fuel station once a month.

Fortis, you're probably not their target demo. :lol2:

Now you know what any kind of ICE vehicle feels like after driving electric for a while :icon_mrgreen:

I can imagine but I wouldn't have one I have close to zero interest in an electric car, it would be at the extreme opposite end of the diesel car which is equally as annoying for me, I am old school that way, I want my cars to look and sound like a car should, I don't want a transport appliance, I love driving and certain ingredients have to be present for it to be enjoyable for me, cost of fuel isn't a factor, locally those cars cost as much as a luxury sedan from European brands, there is no way I'd buy a Tesla over a S8, S Class or a 7 series, it wouldn't even cross my mind, maybe at half the price I might consider it for my wife but knowing her she will forget to charge it and I'd need to buy her a second, just in case car. :icon_mrgreen:

Thats surprising, all the newer diesels I have been in are quite nice and don't sound like much of anything. Though MB doesn't have the greatest track record in the diesel department.

They really only make sense if you drive 100+ miles a day. The fuel consumption and engine longevity pays dividends there, if you'll drive it for the intended lifetime (300k+ miles). Buying one to drive for a year or two is pointless, you'll never recover the cost delta, other than the benefit of going to the fuel station once a month.

Fortis, you're probably not their target demo. :lol2:

The diesels from Audi are fantastic, the ones I experienced from Benz are horrible, I will film this thing but don't know how to post videos :icon_mrgreen:

Imagine how your teachers must have felt.

emanon, you need to get over the harsh criticism I gave of that building you like in the architecture thread. Or just put me on Ignore again. The criticism was nothing personal BTW, but you seem to have taken it very personally.

You're once again incorrect on every possible point. Impressive as usual.

Ever seen a diesel truck cloud out an intersection or blanket the entire lane with soot? I'm sure it's heavier than pure gas emissions, but that crap lingers at low levels for quite some time.

That doesn't mean I am wrong. I said that the soot doesn't stay in the atmosphere, that it settles back down to the ground. That doesn't mean that the soot being sprayed out in a crowded area like a city is fine, because as you said, it can linger in the air for quite awhile. But I was referring more to overall atmospheric pollution, not local pollution. If you look at one of my previous posts, I specifically mentioned about the importance of pollution control for vehicles solely due to the issue of local pollution (smog in cities). Also never seen a truck do those things.

Regarding the diesel tuners, Google "epa diesel tuners" or "epa diesel programmers" and you'll find a bunch of threads on diesel forums about it. They either banned, or tried to ban, something related to the technology.

I bought a VW Golf TDI for my x-girlfriend new a while ago (2011) -- it is one of the affected vehicles. I saw an ad for a firm that is going after them and hit them up: http://vwrecallattorneys.com/

I guess the sharks are circling.

I hit them up and I'll keep you guys updated with what they are saying... but I can't be the only one who thinks they deserve some compensation for being lied to/misled.

This doesn't look good for VW

Germany Gives Volkswagen 10 Days to Present Solution to Diesel-Emissions Problem

If Volkswagen can’t present a viable solution by then, according to Dobrindt, the German government would have no choice but to ban the 2.8 million affected cars from driving on that country’s roads.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/germany-gives...ssions-problem/

I can imagine but I wouldn't have one I have close to zero interest in an electric car, it would be at the extreme opposite end of the diesel car which is equally as annoying for me, I am old school that way, I want my cars to look and sound like a car should, I don't want a transport appliance, I love driving and certain ingredients have to be present for it to be enjoyable for me, cost of fuel isn't a factor, locally those cars cost as much as a luxury sedan from European brands, there is no way I'd buy a Tesla over a S8, S Class or a 7 series, it wouldn't even cross my mind, maybe at half the price I might consider it for my wife but knowing her she will forget to charge it and I'd need to buy her a second, just in case car. :icon_mrgreen:

i love that term "Transport Appliance" brilliant!!!!!

im 100000% with you,

• 4 weeks later...
Does anybody really believe this hogwash?

Exactly. Gm is actually incinerating people with their shitboxes and they're making a bid deal out of this?!

This whole thing is beyond ridiculous, I consider it so dumb I refuse to read any articles or information on it, give it 12 months and I bet nobody will care to talk about it anymore.

This whole thing is beyond ridiculous, I consider it so dumb I refuse to read any articles or information on it, give it 12 months and I bet nobody will care to talk about it anymore.

I think the opposite. More pressure. more $