Any road bikers here?

MrDoctor

hate to say it but I would low ball the 2300. Something Sub 2. Most bikes on craigslist don't sell, so if you are showing interest and have cash in hand.. most likely your low ball offer will take the bike. A little trick I have learned looking at used Carbon frames is bring a quarter with you, tape the frame up and down the tubes... if the frame is cracked you will hear the pitch change.

supersix cdales are nice bikes, I rode one for a little back in 11. Nice frame/weight and for a good price.

The wheels... Chris King. I love love king products, I have had their headsets and hubs off and on for the past 13years... oh and they sound they make.. golden

I am not a fan of Sram group, so make sure you like how it shifts.

I have ridden a Prologo saddle.... Not a fan of most of them. So good chance you will be switching that out.

if you get it under 2k... and maybe drop another 300+ or so youll have a nice bike that is to your liking.

I say go for it.

I support buying 2nd bikes.... a lot of people buy the really nice stuff and just sell it cause they never use it. I have gotten the nicest of the nice for 1/5th the price.

Good info, thank you ! :icon_thumleft:

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wheels... Chris King. I love love king products, I have had their headsets and hubs off and on for the past 13years... oh and they sound they make.. golden

:iamwithstupid:

I've run their headsets on my mountain and bmx bikes forever, and currently have a custom set of their hubs on my bmx bike. They are as bulletproof as you'll ever find.

What helmet are you guys rocking?

Don't laugh, but I wear a Giro Reverb. I got it pretty much for free, but it is a terrible helmet.

Thinking about picking up this Specialized Evade. Thoughts?

I was honestly going to just pick up a $30 bell helmet from Costco, but they sold out :(

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works/g...WMj4BoCqWPw_wcB

Specialized makes some of the best soft goods on the planet. I ride their shoes. Their helmets are amazing, but in hte last few years, not in love with the way they look. The Evade is a great lid, so is the Prevail. I just ordered a new KASK Protone in blue. I hope I love it, it isn't cheap. I haven't bought a new helmet in 7 years due to getting team stuff for free for so long, I had plenty laying around. THey are all either broken, or stank, and needed to be replaced.

If you want to talk about soft goods

I love my shoes

I ride with giro slx shoes

It's contrary to conventional trendy ratchet shoes.

I finally found shoes that fit me so perfectly and are light as hell.

I love them so much I purchased three pairs just so if one or two go bad I have another.

If you want to talk about soft goods

I love my shoes

I ride with giro slx shoes

It's contrary to conventional trendy ratchet shoes.

I finally found shoes that fit me so perfectly and are light as hell.

I love them so much I purchased three pairs just so if one or two go bad I have another.

You love them so much you posted it three times!

I have never had great luck with Giro, the uppers dont work for me. Great sole though, Easton does a nice job with them. I have a pair of Sub 6 right now, had a pair of brand new Empires, had to send them back because the heel cup was so flaccid. I have worn Specialized shoes for years, did a stint with some Lake (nice, wasn't racy enough), Bont (several pairs, just can't make them work), Garneau (4 pairs, good for a couple months, then they fall apart).

I want to try some Fizik shoes some time, as well as Rocket 7, but since Rocket 7 is custom, its kinda once and done.

rocket 7 went out of business years ago.

nice and light but a flimsy heel cup

you want the best unknown shoe? Simmons customs are the best. Have some simmons racing skate boots. Will never use anything but them for skating.

Current Helmet-Catlike Whisper (white) I got it for $50 new, needed a helmet my Sworks broke by me dropping it ( I know) I stopped by a shop to get a new one but I couldnt pass up $50 deal

shoes- Sidi Drako (white) I want to get new shoes, I love Sidi... But idk my feet kinda hurt after 5 hours. But I am in my shoes 5-7hrs aday.

past helmets- Specialized Sworks, Specialized Sworks Prevail, catlikewhisper (black)

shoes- Specialized Sworks, Nike armsrtong

Specialized helmets are my favorite... They fit my head great.

Welp. After a lot of thought and getting frustrated as heck with figuring out what to buy, I ended up buying this:

IMG_20161006_203621.jpg

CAAD12 105 mid 2016 and I got it at a FANTASTIC price, I could not pass it up.

I rode the SuperSix back to back with the CAAD12 and the CAAD12 honestly felt like the better bike. Braking isn't that good, but it's good enough. Tried out ultegra vs 105 and they both felt pretty similar. Maybe ultegra a little smoother, but 105 was smooth as well.

Figured, this is my 2nd road bike. For now. It will do.

Thanks for all the help along the way Rouleur, TopCarbon, teetruss, and everyone else

Since it was so cheap, I'm able to get some better components and a nice bike fit at UC Davis. Can't wait to take this bad boy out!

Welp. After a lot of thought and getting frustrated as heck with figuring out what to buy, I ended up buying this:

IMG_20161006_203621.jpg

I rode the SuperSix back to back with the CAAD12 and the CAAD12 honestly felt like the better bike. Braking isn't that good, but it's good enough. Tried out ultegra vs 105 and they both felt pretty similar. Maybe ultegra a little smoother, but 105 was smooth as well.

Thanks for all the help along the way Rouleur, TopCarbon, teetruss, and everyone else

Since it was so cheap, I'm able to get some better components and a nice bike fit at UC Davis. Can't wait to take this bad boy out!

Congrats!!!! I have never ridden the caad12, but I loved the 10. youll love it... slowly you be sinking some $$$ into it. You have any plans on first upgrades?

again congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!!! I have never ridden the caad12, but I loved the 10. youll love it... slowly you be sinking some $$$ into it. You have any plans on first upgrades?

again congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank You!

Yes, the upgrades never stop, unfortunately :(

Only thing I bought for it are some 105 pedals, which is an upgrade from what I had! I am going to throw my RS-81 wheels on it. And maybe some new brake pads to make up for the weak brakes (imo).

IMG_20161006_203621.jpg

First of all, Congrats on the new ride! Bike looks great!!! Secondly, no need to get frustrated....this is your second bike (there will be many more in the future, trust me...lol) the main thing is you get it out and put miles on it!!!! That will make you a stronger rider than anything you can bolt on it!

Got my first Cannondale awhile back, and I gotta say it

MUCH more comfortable than other bikes I've had.

Welcome to a terrible addiction, on the positive side you are actually bettering your health!

image.jpeg

UC Davis for fit? That's my Alma Mater, love that biking environment.

Such good times there. Rode to class every day on my Trek 1220. I was 60 pounds lighter then and hauled ass.

I have a CAAD 10 with RS80 wheels now. Hard to go wrong with a CAAD

Why are my pictures always sideways???

I can never figure out how to upload pictures correctly either :)

How do you like having discs on your synapse? We'll be seeing a Tom more disc road bikes in the coming years

How do you like having discs on your synapse? We'll be seeing a Tom more disc road bikes in the coming years

I love them! It's become my "chance of rain" day bike!

I love my disc brakes on my cross bike, I will leave them there.

My eebrakes stop me just fine on the road.

I can't see where I need more stopping power than those.

I may sit in the minority but rim brakes are here to stay for the road

rocket 7 went out of business years ago.

nice and light but a flimsy heel cup

you want the best unknown shoe? Simmons customs are the best. Have some simmons racing skate boots. Will never use anything but them for skating.

Rocket 7 got revived. Greg Van Avermet was wearing them last year. I spoke with the guy, he bought the name from the original owner that went out of business, he used to work for the guy. The guy is going around the country doing custom fittings in areas where interest has been shown. I think he is having a tough go of it, but he is still doing it.

Never heard of Simmons, I will have to check them out. ALso thought getting shoes from Adam Hansens custom company out of Australia would be cool, but man, 1300 bucks for shoes is kinda crazy.

IMG_20161006_203621.jpg

Congrats! Awesome looking bike man. You'll enjoy the feel of aluminum, it still makes a great bike. I have heard (no experisnce) that the CAAD12 has a better feel than the carbon bike for compliance. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

I love my disc brakes on my cross bike, I will leave them there.

My eebrakes stop me just fine on the road.

I can't see where I need more stopping power than those.

I may sit in the minority but rim brakes are here to stay for the road

You are not alone, I am a rim brake guy for life. Unfortunately, we will be phased out soon. They are going to stop building rim brake bikes in the next 5 years. Everything will be disk. THey have to explode the used bike market somehow.