Any road bikers here?

MrDoctor

I have a favorite ride route that I do when I am there. I don't love to climb, and every route you have mentioned is an ass kicker. I do a ride leaving from Westlake Plaza, riding through Hidden Valley/Lynn Road/Hueneme Rd/Los Posas to PCH. Ride PCH until you get to Pepperdine and climb up Malibu Canyon Rd to Agoura Rd and ride that back to Westlake. I think it is around 75 miles, but you can check my Strava account and see it, just page back a few months. The nice part is, if you feel like cutting that loop short, you can turn up any canyon road early (Encinal, Kanan, Latigo) and get back to 23 via Mulholland and drop back down into Westlake to the car.

Also, if you want to see all of the SoCal climbs being ridden, follow Phil Gaimon on Strava. He is a freshly retired Cannondale pro that has taken up a mission to get the KOM times on all the local climbs that were taken by a local performance enhancing drug dealer/user. The rides he has logged are pretty epic.

Awesome, thank you.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome, thank you.

Yeah man, all good. Hope you have a great time. Also, the Naciamento Highway is above the Hearst Castle, so quite a bit north of where you are talking about. It is also not paved.

• 11 months later...

Not road bike related, but I have a strong itch for a new mountain/trail bike. Don't want a full enduro but a nice medium travel all around fun ride.

Looking at the Santa Cruz 5010, maybe a Hightower. Both seem like a hell of a fun bike, just not sure on the 27.5 vs 29 bit.

Transition Sentinel or Evil Calling both look bad ass, but no real local dealers and thus no way to Demo one. (I'm not going $3k deep on a frame without riding the damn thing first)

Anything else worth looking at? Intense Tracer maybe?

Not road bike related, but I have a strong itch for a new mountain/trail bike. Don't want a full enduro but a nice medium travel all around fun ride.

Looking at the Santa Cruz 5010, maybe a Hightower. Both seem like a hell of a fun bike, just not sure on the 27.5 vs 29 bit.

Transition Sentinel or Evil Calling both look bad ass, but no real local dealers and thus no way to Demo one. (I'm not going $3k deep on a frame without riding the damn thing first)

Anything else worth looking at? Intense Tracer maybe?

My buddies sister was the rep for Intense up until a week or so ago. I would steer clear of them for a while, I think they are about to be in trouble. Cannondale Habit is the way I would go, maybe a Scalpel as well. Awesome bikes. The Santa Cruz is a great bike, can't go wrong there. Never ridden the Transition, but I hear amazing things about the Evil and the technology behind it.

My buddies sister was the rep for Intense up until a week or so ago. I would steer clear of them for a while, I think they are about to be in trouble. Cannondale Habit is the way I would go, maybe a Scalpel as well. Awesome bikes. The Santa Cruz is a great bike, can't go wrong there. Never ridden the Transition, but I hear amazing things about the Evil and the technology behind it.

Thanks for the info. I used to love c-dale but havent touched one since everything went to taiwan. Ill give them a look and see how they ride.

Ive also heard great things about the Evil suspension, especially when you get that insane 11-6 shock.

I have a 2017 5010C and absolutely love it. It's almost scary how much confidence it gives me on the trail. Another one to consider would be the Specialized Stumpjumper.

post-629-1521565313_thumb.jpg

I have a 2017 5010C and absolutely love it. It's almost scary how much confidence it gives me on the trail. Another one to consider would be the Specialized Stumpjumper.

Nice man! :icon_thumleft: That's the exact same bike my buddy has.

Are you on the stock 130 fork, or did you increase it?

I keep wondering if 130 is enough but for a trail bike, but nobody has a bad word to say about them. I have a DH bike so the Nomad would be borderline redundant and probably overkill for most of the local trails.

I'm also hearing rumors of a revised 5010 and/or Bronson with the Nomad swingarm/link. :eusa_think:

CS5010.jpg

Have you considered Yeti?

I was going to mention Yeti as well, they make great bikes. Every other MTB I see in CO is a Yeti since their HQ is in Golden. I would also consider Specialized Stump Jumper as Mastershake suggested, love mine and it isn't even close to one of the higher end Stump Jumpers. That said, it has always impressed me on the trails I have ridden in CO. While nowhere close to a full DH bike, it handles any of the big and rocky descents I can find on my local trails in the front range. You would have to do some serious descents to exceed it's all mountain abilities.

I need a mountain bike....gotta try mountain biking out one of these days...

I love my specialized hock hopper

Would not go back to 26, 27.5.

29s the way to go

I love my specialized hock hopper

Would not go back to 26, 27.5.

29s the way to go

Does Cannondale make any Mountain Bike models worth looking into?

It's hard to find specialized on discount around here.

I generally have good luck getting Cannondale deals from REI.

Would love a Rock Hopper though.

Does Cannondale make any Mountain Bike models worth looking into?

It's hard to find specialized on discount around here.

I generally have good luck getting Cannondale deals from REI.

Would love a Rock Hopper though.

IMO, find a good local shop and give them a chance to match the rei sale price.

Support your local bike shop, im sure they are having a hard time surviving on repair labor alone and fighting the internet companies.

Im also curious about the 27.5 (not +) vs 29. Being a smidge over 6'3" and 215lbs most guys are telling me it's the only way to go.

Like i said previously, im not an XC guy, definitely more trail/enduro. Seems like the 27.5 would turn and accelerate better, but the trend is definitely going toward 29.

I looked at the yeti (not in person yet), the 5LR looks sweet but that sliding stanchion lower pivot just seems odd. I know it's built by fox and must be super high quality, but i cant help but question long term durability. Ive broken lots of parts over the years so durability is paramount. Hell my DH bike has profile chromoly cranks lol. Im trying to find one locally to scope out, these things are easier to judge in person.

IMO, find a good local shop and give them a chance to match the rei sale price.

Support your local bike shop, im sure they are having a hard time surviving on repair labor alone and fighting the internet companies.

Im also curious about the 27.5 (not +) vs 29. Being a smidge over 6'3" and 215lbs most guys are telling me it's the only way to go.

Like i said previously, im not an XC guy, definitely more trail/enduro. Seems like the 27.5 would turn and accelerate better, but the trend is definitely going toward 29.

I looked at the yeti (not in person yet), the 5LR looks sweet but that sliding stanchion lower pivot just seems odd. I know it's built by fox and must be super high quality, but i cant help but question long term durability. Ive broken lots of parts over the years so durability is paramount. Hell my DH bike has profile chromoly cranks lol. Im trying to find one locally to scope out, these things are easier to judge in person.

Do a 27.5 Plus bike. That is what the Habit is, as well as the Trek Remedy I think. 27.5 wheel, 3" tire. Point and shoot.

Nice man! :icon_thumleft: That's the exact same bike my buddy has.

Are you on the stock 130 fork, or did you increase it?

I keep wondering if 130 is enough but for a trail bike, but nobody has a bad word to say about them. I have a DH bike so the Nomad would be borderline redundant and probably overkill for most of the local trails.

I'm also hearing rumors of a revised 5010 and/or Bronson with the Nomad swingarm/link. :eusa_think:

I'm located in the Midwest so the 130 is just fine. Most of the trails by me are a mix of cross county with all mountain. I probably would have considered the Bronson had I lived out west.

Im looking at a stumpy (hear there is a revision coming soon, which should change up the geometry a little and add some top tube length). Really like Specialized. Also looking at a Yeti, Santa Cruz (likely 5010 C) and for grins, a Canyon Spectral CF -- direct mail, so you'll have to put it together, but I've read some good reviews on Canyon bikes. Ibis I think , also seems to make some popular bikes.

Been riding a Niner Jet 9 RDO, but have had it about 5-6 years now and that was before manufacturers started to tweak the geometry and before 27.5 and 27.5+ bikes started coming out as well as those with the 1X11 drive-trains. So things are new enough to justify another bike purchase!

Im looking at a stumpy (hear there is a revision coming soon, which should change up the geometry a little and add some top tube length). Really like Specialized. Also looking at a Yeti, Santa Cruz (likely 5010 C) and for grins, a Canyon Spectral CF -- direct mail, so you'll have to put it together, but I've read some good reviews on Canyon bikes. Ibis I think , also seems to make some popular bikes.

Been riding a Niner Jet 9 RDO, but have had it about 5-6 years now and that was before manufacturers started to tweak the geometry and before 27.5 and 27.5+ bikes started coming out as well as those with the 1X11 drive-trains. So things are new enough to justify another bike purchase!

I've read mixed reviews on Canyon. I might consider some of their aero road bikes but would stray from their carbon mountain bikes.

• 8 months later...
4 hours ago, topcabron said:

Merry Christmas to me and my

wife

Very nice!!!! My next bike for sure will be Specialized.

Was not feeling my Cannondale and surprisingly , after my Cannondale took a dump, my DIamondback has been the best bike I've ever had. 

I was watching the new phil gaimon video of him cycling in PV. Seem like that area is more suited for a gravel bike? I'm going to take a summer trip out there, take all of your KOMs :D

1 minute ago, MrDoctor said:

Very nice!!!! My next bike for sure will be Specialized.

Was not feeling my Cannondale and surprisingly , after my Cannondale took a dump, my DIamondback has been the best bike I've ever had. 

I was watching the new phil gaimon video of him cycling in PV. Seem like that area is more suited for a gravel bike? I'm going to take a summer trip out there, take all of your KOMs :D

Lots of places to ride without gravel.

phil was a nice guy

On 12/24/2018 at 2:28 PM, topcabron said:

Merry Christmas to me and my

wife

649D7174-04EF-4E34-8C8E-DAE491D7C444.jpeg

9EBCC695-2DE5-4942-A079-06622FC275DC.jpeg

I friggin love that bike! I was looking at the new S Works Venge Disk. I want a new bike, but can't figure out what to get. I would buy Spec in a minute, but I don't know anyone who is a dealer to get the hookup, so I might go with a Trek or the new Cannodale Aero bike. Also considered a Parlee, but I don't want to drop that coin. The Tarmac S Works is one of the best bikes on the planet right now in my opinion.

On 12/29/2018 at 5:12 PM, Rouleur said:

I friggin love that bike! I was looking at the new S Works Venge Disk. I want a new bike, but can't figure out what to get. I would buy Spec in a minute, but I don't know anyone who is a dealer to get the hookup, so I might go with a Trek or the new Cannodale Aero bike. Also considered a Parlee, but I don't want to drop that coin. The Tarmac S Works is one of the best bikes on the planet right now in my opinion.

I was willing to buy just about any pro level bike

this bike does everything well.

not the lightest but the transmission of power is immeadiate and smooth.

bought some s works 7 shoes- they are the bomb. Fit perfect

I remember you saying a Evo Hi-Mod was your next bike. Glad you went the S route, fantastic bikes. I went through a Cannondale phase and their bikes were ehhh, not my style. 

Rim brakes and carbon wheels?! Have you tried a disc bike yet? I won't go back to rim after having disc.