Any road bikers here?

MrDoctor

Just looked up the frame geometry to my 2014 Spec. Elite.

According to the calculator on competitive cyclist, the smallest possible frame I can ride is 54.8CM.

Is this 2014 frame is a perfect 54.8cm for me?

I mean, seems like I'm anywhere between 54.8-56cm frame size right, so maybe stack/reach is just off.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bike-arch...lez-elite/49718

Also, the stem I'm riding is about 10-15mm shorter than recommended. Hmm.

Might try upgrading some parts on this bike first to see how close I can get it before ditching it for a new bike. Although, I really want a new bike :D

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just looked up the frame geometry to my 2014 Spec. Elite.

According to the calculator on competitive cyclist, the smallest possible frame I can ride is 54.8CM.

Is this 2014 frame is a perfect 54.8cm for me?

I mean, seems like I'm anywhere between 54.8-56cm frame size right, so maybe stack/reach is just off.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bike-arch...lez-elite/49718

Also, the stem I'm riding is about 10-15mm shorter than recommended. Hmm.

Might try upgrading some parts on this bike first to see how close I can get it before ditching it for a new bike. Although, I really want a new bike :D

Not sure I am converting the CM correctly, but are you 5'8"? You have super long legs. I am with Top, I always get the smallest frame that I can, but that doesn't always equate to the most comfortable. Then again, my bike isn't about comfort although it works for me in that regard as well. I think a 54CM frame should be good. I say that because I don't think you would love having the standover height so big on the bike, but also you can adjust the top tube length cheaply by using different stem length. I prefer a longer stem as it keeps the steering from being twitchy, oh, and it looks way cooler.

The EVO High Mod is on my list of two bikes to replace my current Scott FOIL. The other is a Pinarello Dogma F8. The groupset will be SRAM eTap. Wheels will be built by my buddy Richard at ProWheelBuilder.com who built my current wheels.

Raj, I will keep you posted with what I do with the current set on my bike. They won't match the new bike as the hubs are the wrong color, so of course I cant have that! I have what now, after I have had them for a while, have become the new standard. But they are very light and strong. YOu cannot break them.

Not sure I am converting the CM correctly, but are you 5'8"? You have super long legs. I am with Top, I always get the smallest frame that I can, but that doesn't always equate to the most comfortable. Then again, my bike isn't about comfort although it works for me in that regard as well. I think a 54CM frame should be good. I say that because I don't think you would love having the standover height so big on the bike, but also you can adjust the top tube length cheaply by using different stem length. I prefer a longer stem as it keeps the steering from being twitchy, oh, and it looks way cooler.

I believe it converts to 5'9.6" . I always just assumed I was 5'10.5" after all those Dr. visits!

This morning, I decided to go ahead and order a 115mm stem (current is 100mm) and a setback seatpost. See if that makes a difference in the feel. Maybe I'll take it into a bike shop to get a bike fit if I can't get it right on my own.

Also, didn't know they made wide road shoes, so I ordered some Lakes. Hoping those help with foot pain as well.

BTW, where does everyone order parts from? I usually shop with Jenson because they have fast shipping. Decent prices too.

you live in my old training area

Missed this tibit. In what area did you used to train, if you don't mind me asking? I've tried mimicking the tour of CA routes over here, it's crazy how the pros can do it so fast and (what seems like) effortlessly. I was dying!

I believe it converts to 5'9.6" . I always just assumed I was 5'10.5" after all those Dr. visits!

This morning, I decided to go ahead and order a 115mm stem (current is 100mm) and a setback seatpost. See if that makes a difference in the feel. Maybe I'll take it into a bike shop to get a bike fit if I can't get it right on my own.

Also, didn't know they made wide road shoes, so I ordered some Lakes. Hoping those help with foot pain as well.

BTW, where does everyone order parts from? I usually shop with Jenson because they have fast shipping. Decent prices too.

I have relationships with shops from racing. They are pretty long standing so I pay based on a cost plus scenario for my stuff. I do buy some stuff online, some of the sales you can find are pretty great. I got my Lake shoes from Colorado Cyclist, but I don't use them anymore. Great shoes though.

If you are 5'10" (sorry for my shitty conversion) you could do either a 54 or a 56. Depends on how aggressive you want the position to be. Most of the 6 foot guys I ride with are on a 54 as they want the saddle drop. Especially since a lot of the newer bikes are coming with such long head tube lengths.

Missed this tibit. In what area did you used to train, if you don't mind me asking? I've tried mimicking the tour of CA routes over here, it's crazy how the pros can do it so fast and (what seems like) effortlessly. I was dying!

mount hamilton over to livermore was twice a week

Mount Diablo added for extra miles

up highway 9 through saratoga to skyline and kings mountain or Canada(92)

Over highway 9 to the coast and up through bonny doone

I was all over that place.

Its the best place to ride I have ever found.

I have relationships with shops from racing. They are pretty long standing so I pay based on a cost plus scenario for my stuff. I do buy some stuff online, some of the sales you can find are pretty great. I got my Lake shoes from Colorado Cyclist, but I don't use them anymore. Great shoes though.

If you are 5'10" (sorry for my shitty conversion) you could do either a 54 or a 56. Depends on how aggressive you want the position to be. Most of the 6 foot guys I ride with are on a 54 as they want the saddle drop. Especially since a lot of the newer bikes are coming with such long head tube lengths.

my Lake 331cx were the best cross shoes(in orange)

I road ride and mountain bike when I have time. Great groups to road ride here in town and a lot of great loops! As for mountain biking you can not beat AZ and all the trails they have! I used to race triathlons/ironman events as well but have not done and since 2004! One of my favorite rides I did with three other bro's was riding from AZ to Telluride and back! One night we stayed in Durango, next Ouray then next day to Telluride and same loop back. What an amazing trip and some beautiful climbs/pass!

mount hamilton over to livermore was twice a week

Mount Diablo added for extra miles

up highway 9 through saratoga to skyline and kings mountain or Canada(92)

Over highway 9 to the coast and up through bonny doone

I was all over that place.

Its the best place to ride I have ever found.

Those are sweet rides! Some of those I haven't done, but I love Mt. Hamilton. I climb it at least 1 time per week. That is awesome, I didn't know you did all that.

You now have to get a bike rack on the Ferrari, that would be hardcore and awesome lol.

I really want to try out this route next: https://www.strava.com/routes/2253348

my Lake 331cx were the best cross shoes(in orange)

That is what I will buy if I do cross this year. I would like a set of their MTB shoes too. I just like Specialized S Works for my road bike a lot better.

I road ride and mountain bike when I have time. Great groups to road ride here in town and a lot of great loops! As for mountain biking you can not beat AZ and all the trails they have! I used to race triathlons/ironman events as well but have not done and since 2004! One of my favorite rides I did with three other bro's was riding from AZ to Telluride and back! One night we stayed in Durango, next Ouray then next day to Telluride and same loop back. What an amazing trip and some beautiful climbs/pass!

If you ever do that again, don't forget to invite a brother!!! That sounds epic. My buddy is a pro triathlete in Scottsdale, been there forever. I went out and rode with him two years ago, I have to say that place is something special. I need to go again soon!

Those are sweet rides! Some of those I haven't done, but I love Mt. Hamilton. I climb it at least 1 time per week. That is awesome, I didn't know you did all that.

You now have to get a bike rack on the Ferrari, that would be hardcore and awesome lol.

I really want to try out this route next: https://www.strava.com/routes/2253348

Must have lost my invite...

Must have lost my invite...

Invite for the rides, or for strava?

The rides, I'm always down. Hit me up,you can stay with me, let's go riding :icon_thumleft: !

Are you on Strava? I have it, don't log too often, but will probably start logging more.

Maybe we can have a multi day epic ride in a central area.

Or come to Mexico and we can ride from Puerto Vallarta to many places

I'm always down for something like this.

I am shit at organizing stuff, so if someone puts something together, like a California deal or maybe the Southwest, I will fly out. Make a couple day gig and I am in. I will start getting fit now.

Invite for the rides, or for strava?

The rides, I'm always down. Hit me up,you can stay with me, let's go riding :icon_thumleft: !

Are you on Strava? I have it, don't log too often, but will probably start logging more.

For the rides! I am on Strava, just type in my name and my athlete information will pop up.

Go to athlete search and type in Chris Constantin and it should show me, I think I am the only one.

Maybe we can have a multi day epic ride in a central area.

Or come to Mexico and we can ride from Puerto Vallarta to many places

I'm always down for something like this.

I am shit at organizing stuff, so if someone puts something together, like a California deal or maybe the Southwest, I will fly out. Make a couple day gig and I am in. I will start getting fit now.

I'm 100% down. We should do this sometime. I need to get fit for this for sure though, lol. Endurance athletes kick my butt. I can out sprint anyone, but endurance, my body isn't meant for it.

TC will get us in with the Cartels so we'll be safe.

For the rides! I am on Strava, just type in my name and my athlete information will pop up.

Go to athlete search and type in Chris Constantin and it should show me, I think I am the only one.

Going to add you...

Here's my bike setup.

I just finished installing my new stem + seat post. Went for a quick spin.

Immediately I noticed a difference-- all from using ballpark figures from the competitive cyclist calculator, amazing. No more shifting in my seat, no more straining. It's a beautiful ride now.

One thing I did notice was that now, since I have the stem so high, when I rode the hoods, I was uncomfortable. But, when I rode deep in the drops, I was very comfortable, and could ride on without discomfort. Will more than likely be flipping the stem and angle-ing the handlebars a little more downward.

Still more tweaking to do here and there, but MUCH better than what it originally was. New shoes helped a lot also, they placed my foot right in line with the peddle axle.

IMG_20160806_170942.jpg

Proabaly want to think around a bigger frame next time. That is a 120 stem and you have 2cm of spacers below the stem with the stem flipped. If that is a 54, you might want to try a 56 next. The stem flipped makes the bike steer a bit strangely. And you had a set back seatpost. Nice bike though, big Specialized fan here.

Proabaly want to think around a bigger frame next time. That is a 120 stem and you have 2cm of spacers below the stem with the stem flipped. If that is a 54, you might want to try a 56 next. The stem flipped makes the bike steer a bit strangely. And you had a set back seatpost. Nice bike though, big Specialized fan here.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will. I heard they are taking away the Allez DSW with the tarmac fork this year, so maybe I'll pick one of those up before they are gone.

Have you seen the 2017 Spec's? Crazy designs they are experimenting with. One frame, I believe, changes color when it reaches above 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will. I heard they are taking away the Allez DSW with the tarmac fork this year, so maybe I'll pick one of those up before they are gone.

Have you seen the 2017 Spec's? Crazy designs they are experimenting with. One frame, I believe, changes color when it reaches above 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

If you see some of the Olympic roadrace(replay of yesterday) the top pros like nibali and aru you could see some of the course their bikes were glowing yellow then back to orange

Very cool

Those were the paint jobs on the Olympic bikes. Special paint.

The new Specialized aluminum bike is the Allex Sprint I believe. They offer it with a 1x11 setup as well as a double. It is their "SmartWeld" technology, supposed to be pretty nice. My buddy rides for Axeon Hagens Berman and they are sponsored, he loves the Tarmac S Works they gave him. He rode the under 23 Paris Roubaix and was in the break until 10k to go when they crashed on the cobbles. Specialized sent them all brand new Roubaix S Works bikes, full cadre of wheels and 28c tires. He said the bike was amazing. My buddies don't sell Specialized, if they did, I would have one.

Here is what I am planning for my next purchase. I might sell one of my watches to buy it. I'm in love.

Screen_Shot_2016_08_07_at_4.25.05_PM.png

If you see some of the Olympic roadrace(replay of yesterday) the top pros like nibali and aru you could see some of the course their bikes were glowing yellow then back to orange

Very cool

WHAT. A. RACE!!!

The women's race today was amazing as well. Didn't understand the tactics, but it was still awesome to watch. If Mara could descend better, we would have had our first gold since '84. Too bad.

Those were the paint jobs on the Olympic bikes. Special paint.

The new Specialized aluminum bike is the Allex Sprint I believe. They offer it with a 1x11 setup as well as a double. It is their "SmartWeld" technology, supposed to be pretty nice. My buddy rides for Axeon Hagens Berman and they are sponsored, he loves the Tarmac S Works they gave him. He rode the under 23 Paris Roubaix and was in the break until 10k to go when they crashed on the cobbles. Specialized sent them all brand new Roubaix S Works bikes, full cadre of wheels and 28c tires. He said the bike was amazing. My buddies don't sell Specialized, if they did, I would have one.

Here is what I am planning for my next purchase. I might sell one of my watches to buy it. I'm in love.

post-203-1470601561_thumb.png

F8 is very nice

Right up there with the s works vias