Bye bye Bugatti? VW emissions scandal forces cash away from non-core projects

diabloking

I honestly believe their build quality is terrible, I dislike their new designs and on the tech side they are behind the other major Euro brands, this coming from a HUGE BMW fan, unfortunately my love affair with the brand ended with their late 80's models, nowadays they aren't building anything worth talking about.

It would not want Lambo in their hands, I'd rather see it go to Benz.

I respectfully disagree with your tech comment. Just by thinking top of mind, they were the first brand to adopt laser headlights, mount turbos on-top of an engine and have a bucket of new-to-market features on the new 7. They were also the first to market with the i-drive, rolled the dice with Hydrogen cars and now manufacturer a completely electric car as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respectfully disagree with your tech comment. Just by thinking top of mind, they were the first brand to adopt laser headlights, mount turbos on-top of an engine and have a bucket of new-to-market features on the new 7. They were also the first to market with the i-drive, rolled the dice with Hydrogen cars and now manufacturer a completely electric car as well.

I thought the developer of the laser lights was Audi and they are available in the new R8 or was it a similar claim equal with the emission scandal LOL?, also I hate the i-drive :icon_mrgreen: different strokes I guess.

I think its also worth mentioning that they sell diesel cars that comply with environmental standards.

:moon3:

I wouldn't be so quick on that, apparently Benz, Honda and Mazda have been caught out also :shock: I think it's just a matter of time, I personally believe nobody complies because the rules are simply ridiculous.

I wouldn't be so quick on that, apparently Benz, Honda and Mazda have been caught out also :shock: I think it's just a matter of time, I personally believe nobody complies because the rules are simply ridiculous.

Yup

Even more than that. Mercedes-Benz, Honda, Mazda, Renault, Nissan, Hyundai, Citroen, Fiat, Volvo and Jeep diesels all emit way more NOx in realistic driving conditions. A Guardian article says that there is no evidence of illegal activity such as with Volkswagen, but rather that the manufacturers designed the cars to perform great in the lab but not on the road (although IMO the manufacturers probably knew that).

I thought the developer of the laser lights was Audi and they are available in the new R8 or was it a similar claim equal with the emission scandal LOL?, also I hate the i-drive :icon_mrgreen: different strokes I guess.

I think Audi announced it in a concept, but BMW integrated it into the first production car .

755.jpg

The hot vee concept was not a BMW idea. Ferrari F1 egines used it from 81 to 84. First production engine to use it was a GMC 4.5 duramax V8 almost ten years ago. Audi, MB, Bentley, BMW, and even Ford all developed new engines using this concept at the same time.

Remember BMW has many marques just like WV. Surely there is good quality on Rolls Royce, right? I have yet to see more horrible engine sound/cabin noise/cabin design than late 2000 diesel Seat/Skoda...

Another example of idealistic governance where laws are made to fit an ideology rather than the realities of technical limitations.

Another example of idealistic governance where laws are made to fit an ideology rather than the realities of technical limitations.

[/closethread]

BMW has made some great motors in some terrible cars lately. It would be an amazing merger though.

:iamwithstupid: The N55 (turbo inline 6) is a bad ass little motor. My wife has been eyeing the 435's lately and it's not a bad little car, I just don't know of I can stomach ~$60k for one.

In 18 months it will be a good buy at $40k though. :icon_mrgreen:

:iamwithstupid: The N55 (turbo inline 6) is a bad ass little motor. My wife has been eyeing the 435's lately and it's not a bad little car, I just don't know of I can stomach ~$60k for one.

In 18 months it will be a good buy at $40k though. :icon_mrgreen:

The greenies will throw rocks at you :icon_mrgreen:

I hated my 3 series BMW. The clutch sucked and I never got used to it. The hands free voice commands rarely worked. Interior was not ergonomic at all. Car felt way to heavy.

I traded it for a VW Golf R. Man do I love that car.

I just hope Lambo doesn't go to some Chinese or Malaysian car company.

The greenies will throw rocks at you :icon_mrgreen:

I have a 500hp 8000lb 4x4 diesel pickup truck, they masturbate to the thought of beating me to within an inch of my life with tofu bricks and hemp ropes, then gluing my eyelids open and forcing me to watch Al Gore lectures on a continuous loop.

I have a 500hp 8000lb 4x4 diesel pickup truck, they masturbate to the thought of beating me to within an inch of my life with tofu bricks and hemp ropes, then gluing my eyelids open and forcing me to watch Al Gore lectures on a continuous loop.

Hahaha

I just hope Lambo doesn't go to some Chinese or Malaysian car company.

Unheard of! That could never happen!

:lol2:

"ROME (AFP) -

Italian police on Thursday raided Volkswagen's main office in the country and those of its sports car unit Lamborghini in connection with the investigation into the company's rigging of emissions tests.

Six Italian-based executives of the group were placed under investigation, including VW Italy's CEO Massimo Nordio and Luca De Meo, the marketing and sales chief of the Italian branch of Audi, another VW company, the AGI news agency reported."

Just read through this thread. So heads will roll, everyone will freak out, jobs will be lost, families disrupted, manpower will turnover, brand names will be sold off or disestablished, millions of vehicles will be recalled, resources will be exhausted, laws rewritten, and the sky will fall.

Meanwhile a handful of 767s will be out there cruising the friendly skies, on what is commonly known as Tuesday, contributing more greenhouse gas emissions than VW could ever hope to contribute with its dirtiest most illegal engines possible over an x-year period, lol.

Just read through this thread. So heads will roll, everyone will freak out, jobs will be lost, families disrupted, manpower will turnover, brand names will be sold off or disestablished, millions of vehicles will be recalled, resources will be exhausted, laws rewritten, and the sky will fall.

Meanwhile a handful of 767s will be out there cruising the friendly skies, on what is commonly known as Tuesday, contributing more greenhouse gas emissions than VW could ever hope to contribute with its dirtiest most illegal engines possible over an x-year period, lol.

True but the cash cow is on the ground, cars have become a major source of income for the blood sucking bureaucrats, they got ripping off down to a since, now car manufacturers messed up with their "formulas" they don't give a crap about the pollution levels, they are concerned with revenue loss, they missed on charging more but now with the "think of the children" scare campaign they will be able to suck dry the coffers of the "filthy" car manufacturers. Pay day is here! They will not let go until the funds are transferred.

Look at the cash registers around every single corner, hiding behind bushes, they even put speed cameras in rubbish bins placed on the side of the road, it's truly sickening, they get people for 1km/h over, easiest money one can make.

Us as people are slowly beaten into submission by all sort of weasels who wiggled their way into positions of power and created all kind of positions of control.

You see? There is no need for brute force, guns and other fire power to enslave someone!

BMW always has the most boring interiors out of the germans, except maybe VW. Definitely agree with Fortis.

...And Rolls-Royce arguably have the best interiors in the world. BMW also made one of the best supercar engines ever for McLaren's F1. Lamborghini could do very well out of BMW ownership.

Like I said in the other thread, the real problem is diesel particulate emissions, rather than greenhouse gases. As far as I can tell, they're suggesting that these engines emitted several times more NOx than a light duty truck... There will almost certainly have been people who got sick and died as a result of the tampering, and potentially quite a lot of them.

Interesting that GM were only fined $35m for consciously allowing 13 people to be killed by their faulty ignition switch, going up to $900m when the death estimate rose to 124 (similar to what I've seen projected for VW's emission excess).

Like I said in the other thread, the real problem is diesel particulate emissions, rather than greenhouse gases. As far as I can tell, they're suggesting that these engines emitted several times more NOx than a light duty truck... There will almost certainly have been people who got sick and died as a result of the tampering, and potentially quite a lot of them.

Interesting that GM were only fined $35m for consciously allowing 13 people to be killed by their faulty ignition switch, going up to $900m when the death estimate rose to 124 (similar to what I've seen projected for VW's emission excess).

Are you saying that people died directly as a result of the exhaust that was coming out of a VW automobile tailpipe?