Bye bye Bugatti? VW emissions scandal forces cash away from non-core projects

diabloking

Are you saying that people died directly as a result of the exhaust that was coming out of a VW automobile tailpipe?

It's impossible to prove an exact number in terms of the death toll, but yes. NOx causes and aggravates lung and heart diseases, and these cars were pumping out a ridiculous amount of it in heavily populated areas.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's impossible to prove an exact number in terms of the death toll, but yes. NOx causes and aggravates lung and heart diseases, and these cars were pumping out a ridiculous amount of it in heavily populated areas.

Those pre-emissions law diesel cars and trucks must have left quite the trail of dead bodies in their wake...

As someone who has spent his entire life around stinky and smoky diesel powered stuff I find your comments to be a little out of tune with reality.

Please tell me you are not serious .

Er, yup....

Don't take my word for it. The study's adapted from EPA data, the implication is backed by an EPA-funded institute, and a quick Google search will see it reported in many major news outlets.

The health impact of diesel particulates is widely known, which is why these emissions are regulated in the first place, and continually more strictly as compliance becomes technologically feasible. We're not talking about a small discrepency from the published figures - if you live in a crowded European city (which tend to be swarming with VW, Skoda, Seat and Audi diesels), you'll effectively have had a fleet of small lorries driving past your house every day for the last seven years.

Just as with smoking, many people will ostensibly be unaffected by that, others not so much.

Those pre-emissions law diesel cars and trucks must have left quite the trail of dead bodies in their wake...

Well, they did. NOx reduction controls in the US are estimated to have reduced annual mortality by a couple of thousand over the last decade or so. As mentioned, though, particulates are an epidemiological agent, so hard figures are always impossible to come by - all anyone can do is estimate.

Statistically speaking, it would be quite shocking if you had developed a major health condition, given that particulates aren't nearly as damaging as smoking (unless you get right up to the tail pipe I guess). Keep in mind how many millions of people will have been exposed to VAG diesel emissions, and that the mortality estimates are only in double or triple figures.

Holy shit, Dr. Vertigo has me in tears. :lol2:

Also, I drove around a '98 Hummer with a 6.5TD for over a decade. Guess I'm totally fucked, might as well start smoking.

Holy shit, Dr. Vertigo has me in tears. :lol2:

Also, I drove around a '98 Hummer with a 6.5TD for over a decade. Guess I'm totally fucked, might as well start smoking.

:iamwithstupid:

The cat for my duramax sits on a shelf in my garage for all but one week on a two year rotation. I'm shocked to still be alive and typing this.

Now I realize NOx emission are VERY bad... but a 2L diesel VW is adding a thimble of water to lake Michigan compared to the freighter ships, jets, and other industrial equipment running around.

Er, yup....

Don't take my word for it. The study's adapted from EPA data, the implication is backed by an EPA-funded institute, and a quick Google search will see it reported in many major news outlets.

The health impact of diesel particulates is widely known, which is why these emissions are regulated in the first place, and continually more strictly as compliance becomes technologically feasible. We're not talking about a small discrepency from the published figures - if you live in a crowded European city (which tend to be swarming with VW, Skoda, Seat and Audi diesels), you'll effectively have had a fleet of small lorries driving past your house every day for the last seven years.

Just as with smoking, many people will ostensibly be unaffected by that, others not so much.

Well, they did. NOx reduction controls in the US are estimated to have reduced annual mortality by a couple of thousand over the last decade or so. As mentioned, though, particulates are an epidemiological agent, so hard figures are always impossible to come by - all anyone can do is estimate.

Statistically speaking, it would be quite shocking if you had developed a major health condition, given that particulates aren't nearly as damaging as smoking (unless you get right up to the tail pipe I guess). Keep in mind how many millions of people will have been exposed to VAG diesel emissions, and that the mortality estimates are only in double or triple figures.

1535.gif

1525.gif

160.gif

As someone who has spent his entire life around stinky and smoky diesel powered stuff I find your comments to be a little out of tune with reality.

Lol. I still have a few 71 series detroits running around. One of my cranes has a 1271 and an 871, I must be on the verge of dropping dead.

• 2 months later...
I respectfully disagree with your tech comment. Just by thinking top of mind, they were the first brand to adopt laser headlights, mount turbos on-top of an engine and have a bucket of new-to-market features on the new 7. They were also the first to market with the i-drive, rolled the dice with Hydrogen cars and now manufacturer a completely electric car as well.

Image that!

2016 Technology of the Year Award