Where can I get a gun before the gun nuts take away my rights?

Cabbe

Where is the best place to buy a gun? And what is a good gun for a beginner?

I just want like a 9mm or something like that, something that I can take to the range and have fun with.

What about rifles? Can I still buy a semi auto in California? I also need a gun safe right?

What are some cheaper brands that aren't total crap?

What's the best way for a beginner to get into guns?

Thanks!

Yes you can still buy semi-auto rifles in CA, not terribly difficult even.

Have you shot anything at all recently?

What do you want the gun/s for?

IMO, if you own guns it's mandatory to have a gun safe to secure them. Not law, just my own personal opinion. But regardless they need to be secured so they aren't easily accessible by people you don't want accessing them.

What in your mind is "inexpensive" for a handgun or a semi-auto rifle?

I just tried out a glock and a baretta last week, both 9mm.

I just want to go to the range and practice my aim for fun. Turns out right now the safest place is right behind the bulls eye when I shoot.

I was thinking about $1000-1500

Do you have the Bill Goodman's gun shows in your parts? They are fantastic opportunities to see a WIDE range of weapons and feel which one feels best in your hand (not firing of course).

Look up Hickok45 on YouTube. He's got some great content for beginners. My personal opinion is that you should start with a Glock 19. It's a medium sized 9MM that does virtually everything well. It's a good carry gun, fun to shoot at the range, and it has a good balance of size, weight, price, capacity, and caliber.

Go rent some at the range if you can and see what fits your hand comfortably. I personally don't care for Glocks but I know a lot of people who love them.

Beretta 92FS is hard to beat for a solid first gun, inexpensive, and will run forever. Can't go wrong with a Sig P226 or P229 either (226 is just a little bigger than the 229, virtually identical otherwise), and are regarded as very well made, super reliable guns.

I would probably avoid 1911's until you get more familiar with handling guns, how they work, etc.

Your budget will get you into a pretty nice semi-auto rifle or about any handgun you could ever want that isn't a competition performance gun.

Buy a nice but reasonably priced handgun and then spend an equal amount of money on range time and ammo. It will take you much further than a super expensive gun will.

Where in CA are you?

1. Sig 226 9mm $800-900 best pistol ever.

Where are you? I know a guy.

Have you read the "I need a new gun" thread? good stuff in there!

1. Sig 226 9mm $800-900 best pistol ever.

Where are you? I know a guy.

Have you read the "I need a new gun" thread? good stuff in there!

I'm in Los Angeles.

I'll find the gun thread now.

Thanks!

Go rent some at the range if you can and see what fits your hand comfortably. I personally don't care for Glocks but I know a lot of people who love them.

:iamwithstupid:

Everyone has a favorite handgun and many times their favorite isn't the best gun made, but it is what feels the best in their hand which leads to feeling comfortable, in control, and therefore more accurate with that particular pistol. I personally love my Glock 21 full size frame, but many of my gun owning friends hate it.

The gun that felt best to my wife is the Smith & Wesson MP 9mm Compact, so that is what she got after trying 5-6 other pistols at a range.

My personal favorite is a gun I never expected to like, CZ 75 P01. Fit and finish is nothing to brag about, but it is a reliable gun. What I love about it is how accurately I shoot it, it feels made for my hand. The slide is set low in the frame so barrel flip is reduced. Even my friends who have their own favorite guns, the first time they try the CZ they shoot it very well and most end up loving it after only a few magazines.

I'm in Los Angeles.

I'll find the gun thread now.

Thanks!

Perfect. My guy is in Orange County. Huntington Beach. Pm me. You won't get a better deal. Wholesale prices.

Where is the best place to buy a gun? And what is a good gun for a beginner?

I just want like a 9mm or something like that, something that I can take to the range and have fun with.

What about rifles? Can I still buy a semi auto in California? I also need a gun safe right?

What are some cheaper brands that aren't total crap?

What's the best way for a beginner to get into guns?

Thanks!

They came close to outlawing semiautomatic rifles with detachable box magazines as "assault weapons" in the state, but then Jerry Brown vetoed it. The state I believe is mandating a new technology, where the firing pin has a special identification code on it that it imprints onto the cartridge casing every time the gun fires. The industry took it to court, but lost. Right now they are seeking an appeal. The technology is useless for stopping gun crime of course, as it can be easily bypassed either by using a revolver (for hand guns) or just replacing the firing pin with an un-microstamped one or just filing the firing pin, yet it greatly increases the cost and complexity of manufacturing the hand guns.

California has an approved list of hand guns that can be sold in the state. These hand gun models must be renewed every five years, and right now the microstamping is required by law, so as models come up for renewal, many are dropping off the list as the manufacturers are refusing to produce hand guns that comply with the law. From what I've been reading, some also say the technology really is impossible to be made workable.

Another concern is that a criminal could collect spent brass from say a shooting range and then spread it at a crime scene to frame someone.

Agree buy what feels best at the range.

For protection something that holds a light and or laser is helpful.

Suggest buying a safe - larger than you originally imagined then get the next size up.

Sig is a good start.

Any thoughts on the .380?? I am also a novice but interested to learn more.

Depends on the gun you plan to buy and it's intended use.

Would I buy a Glock 42 (.380). Yes.

Would I buy a AMT Backup (.380) fcuk no.

Also depends on the use. I carry a Glock 19 (9mm for concealed carry). But even as compact and light as it is, it's still too big for when I go on bike rides. I bought a Glock 42 (.380) just for that.

Would I have a .380 for home defense. No. but I guess it's better than nothing.

Everyone will have their favorite brand. You have to just find what YOU like and go with that. If you like it, you can't really go wrong, unless it's some crap brand gun.

Is .380 a decent caliber? To each their own. I do know it's WAY better than having to call 911 and praying the cops will be there in the next 3 seconds. That much I'm sure of.

The Smith and Wesson MP .40 is my favorite. I've put at least 2000 rounds through it now and it's incredibly well balanced. You can swap out the grip as well so it fits just about any size hand.

Depends on the gun you plan to buy and it's intended use. Would I buy a Glock 42 (.380). Yes. Would I buy a AMT Backup (.380) fcuk no. Also depends on the use. I carry a Glock 19 (9mm for concealed carry). But even as compact and light as it is, it's still too big for when I go on bike rides. I bought a Glock 42 (.380) just for that. Would I have a .380 for home defense. No. but I guess it's better than nothing. Everyone will have their favorite brand. You have to just find what YOU like and go with that. If you like it, you can't really go wrong, unless it's some crap brand gun. Is .380 a decent caliber? To each their own. I do know it's WAY better than having to call 911 and praying the cops will be there in the next 3 seconds. That much I'm sure of.

Appreciate the feedback...

Was speaking to someone recently when the subject of gun ownership came up. They are licensed and own several. They advised me that as the intended purpose is work related and may at times be in confined spaces the .380 would be less likely to penetrate walls and hit innocent bystanders.

He claims his .380 ( I forgot the manufacturer) was light to the touch & had a firm recoil. Does that sound accurate??

Im going to try and be short in my reply.

Like asked before what is your end result for the firearm? Just target shooting at the range. or Self defense? Some people will say they go hand in hand but they dont. If you are not willing to take someones life with it then you are just using it to target shoot for fun. Which is totally fine bud.

Mentioned above, everyone has a favorite firearm. For me I love the look and feel of a high end sorted out 1911. But I do not use or carry one for work nor daily. 1911 for me is pretty, not a tool. My guns I use and carry everyday are tools of my trade. And I use and beat the crap out of them. And I have put thousands and thousands of rounds through each one of my gun I use when Im on job, training, or instructing.

For my secondary I use either a Glock 17 or M&P9 VTAC if Im running in a overt or low vis operation. 19 would be suited more for a complete non vis/total concealment operation....See the trend, all 9mm. So many people want to debate over what cal to carry. Carry a 9. Higher load count, current ballistics are really good, and more times then not when you eliminate a threat they are carrying 9mm ammo (which you politely take and resupply). All 3 of those pistols I listed have no mechanical safety on the firearm itself. Which will teach you very good gun handling, your finger is the safety.

Gun Safe is a really good idea! There are so many out there. You need to figure out if your building your collection or having just a coupe. You can get a night stand safe with biometrics and fancy stuff. I have a few of that type of single pistol safes around the house (I have kids which have friends that come over). Gun safes and placement is a whole topic on its own. haha.

For your rifle situation, similar Q's as the pistol. Purpose? If staying domestic US AR is a go to, if your going anywhere else in the world you more then likely will be around AK. But that is changing in certain parts of the world due to US "giving" certain people weapons. You need to figure what your end result for the rifle will be as well. Like what range you want to reach out to...CQB/CQC, long range, mix of both...Only you can know what your plans on. The more clear your end result is, the less money you will use to reach it.

And get TRAINING behind YOUR weapon system. Never enough training.

The Smith and Wesson MP .40 is my favorite. I've put at least 2000 rounds through it now and it's incredibly well balanced. You can swap out the grip as well so it fits just about any size hand.

ive got the same one. The grip of the gun feels fantastic, but it kicks like a mule compared to my buddies .40 glocks.

Appreciate the feedback...

Was speaking to someone recently when the subject of gun ownership came up. They are licensed and own several. They advised me that as the intended purpose is work related and may at times be in confined spaces the .380 would be less likely to penetrate walls and hit innocent bystanders.

He claims his .380 ( I forgot the manufacturer) was light to the touch & had a firm recoil. Does that sound accurate??

In my opinion a .380 would go through walls just about as well as any other round, give or take a bit. It will also depend on the ammo to a degree. There's lots of variables, none of which can be predicted when you need to use the gun.

In my opinion a .380 would go through walls just about as well as any other round, give or take a bit. It will also depend on the ammo to a degree. There's lots of variables, none of which can be predicted when you need to use the gun.

:iamwithstupid:

I tired of the caliber debates among us that are using it for personal protection and home defense. You need to go with what feels comfortable and you will use. I'd rather have a .22 on me than a 45ACP at home in the safe. That being said I used to daily a Glock 36 in 45ACP and now I daily a Ruger LCP in .380. I found myself leaving the glock at home too much and took my own advice.

To the OP go to a range and rent a bunch and see what you like and feel comfortable with! Welcome to the club!

The best first gun?

Not sure.

I have been buying my best first gun about 50 guns ago. :icon_mrgreen:

My 2 cents...

What I recommend is taking a few classes on gun safety and operation.

Find a range with rental guns where you can shoot various types and see what feels best for you.

Never skimp on quality.

Shoot often.

Join the NRA.

Buy more guns.

The best first gun?

Not sure.

I have been buying my best first gun about 50 guns ago. :icon_mrgreen:

This. Each time you buy a gun that you think is the best. You will find a reason you don't like it and will buy something else. Even when you own 10+ guns, you will find an excuse why you need another one. That's pretty much the only fact about guns and gun debates. Everything else is opinion and personal taste.