How fast is your internet?

Hovik

Your upload speed is over twice as fast as mine - you should be cock-a-hoop !

I hear that a lot...

not really, you'll need 10Gbps switching and cat6.... plus 10Gbps cards in the computers....

The point is I can tell all my friends my Internet is faster than theirs. Cat 5 ethernet throughout the house will be fine.

:lol2:

not really, you'll need 10Gbps switching and cat6.... plus 10Gbps cards in the computers....

I was being a smart ass. I know what it would take. I have friends who tell me they have 100M download speeds but have 10m switches in their houses. Some people just see a big number and think thats enough and it makes me laugh too.

So, let me ask you. When your internet is choppy, who do you blame?

It depends on a lot of different things. The Internet is like a HUGE LAN (local area network). You might get great speeds from one site but crap speeds from another site.

In Norway all the ISPs are connected to NIX (http://www.uio.no/tjenester/it/nett/fastnett/nix/info-english-short.html). That means you should get full speeds from all the major Norwegian internet sites and also to/from other regular users - If I send a file from my computer to a friend on another ISP that also has the same speed, it should max out the connection.

Big sites (like Google/Netflix) usually have their own server in the ISPs facility for local cache, so Netflix/Google will also be really fast (as it's hosted like a LAN).

The smaller sites don't have the $$ for local servers at the different ISPs, so then it uses regular routing: from a to b. It will take a long path where there are/can be bottlenecks. These bottlenecks depend on a lot of different things and the agreements that the ISPs have with companies that route international traffic.

A Swedish ISP (fiber - BBB, 10-15 years ago at least) had awesome domestic speeds, but their international speeds were horrible (like 10% of their domestic speed). Same with Korea etc. While people in the Netherlands/Norway had great international routing. So there are a lot of things that matter but the consumer is more or less "in the dark" about a lot of this.

The longer the route, the more chances there are for your speeds to get reduced. Your speed will only be as fast as the weakest link in the whole route from A-B.