high mileage manual LP640

whiteout

It isn't just 640 gated. It is 430, 550M, 599, 612, and a shit load of other late model exotic gated cars that finally gained recognition. LPs then Gallardos are soon to follow! :)

How come people just came out of no where to desire these 6 speeds all of a sudden. 2 years ago they werent selling.

Few examples:

Whiteouts 640 was on the market close to a year or 6 months i believe for a price on par if not less than comparable E-Gear cars.

ASSMANS car im not sure about, but it was known it was for sale.

Former Nick Cage car was same price as E-Gear cars if not lower maybe 2-3 years ago. Believe Roy sold it some time back.

Red Canadian car was for sale for so long and no bites and all of a sudden if it came up for sale again it would sell within days.

BMC White car also, sat for a while

Gold roadster Roy had for months.

Im sure there are more examples

The inflation/appreciation is across the market, certainly not limited to 640s or stick Gallardos. The Porsche market has doubled or tripled in various segments, the mundane Ferrari market has doubled, 350/400/Miura/Countach is all 3-4x, the runout of manual gearboxes for most manufacturers has helped but also the recognition that some of these examples are truly rare has increased the interest. Some of these cars are subject to bubbles - 993s, 308/328, TR, etc. but some of the truly rare stuff will hold well.

The factory thought they imported 23 cars to the US but I have counted 26 + 3 SV + 3 to Canada. Among those there were 2 press cars, 3 were totaled, 2 were exported, 1 received a branded title, at least 3 have had major accidents/paint work, and I am sure that there are other stories beyond what carfax and the internet reveal. Less than 10 are in top tier, all original shape and most of the configurations are extremely unique. The car drives considerably better than an e-gear car, particularly at low speed. The values make sense and I didn't mind paying a strong premium for mine versus what it had sold for 2 years earlier.

This car appears to be well maintained and the only excuse it seems to need is for the miles. If I had to pick among miles, poor equipment, recurring maintenance issue or lack of maintenance, accident, paintwork, etc. as the reason a car is below the average for the market - I always go for miles. It looks like it will make a great car for someone.

On a side note, I do recall Simon (member here and from the UK mag) tracking his Murci and LP an getting some crazy mileage from it 100+k.

256k. I think 80k+ track miles. Brilliant stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

The red Canadian car was for sale when I bought my roadster, debated it but it had an ugly ass red/white interior. Weissach re-upholstered it in red/black and dropped the price 10k.

Miles are just a number. Unless you are expecting something catastrophic like a head or a block going more miles means more chance for the stuff that was going to break to have broken and been replaced already. Miles would be last on my list after colors, conditions, options and a bunch of other items.

The MT are going up because they just aren't making them anymore. Not everyone is going for F1 star track speed. Nothing more relaxing then driving a MT on a weekend cruise with no where to go or be.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about miles either. Good deals are to be had with clean cars with miles on them. I've seen absurd amounts of people rolling back exotics, I would guess 30% of all exotics are roll backs. Its sad a lot of people that you know and see their cars online all the time rollback odometers, some even on a monthly basis. Me, I'd rather sleep at night.

I wouldn't worry too much about miles either. Good deals are to be had with clean cars with miles on them. I've seen absurd amounts of people rolling back exotics, I would guess 30% of all exotics are roll backs. Its sad a lot of people that you know and see their cars online all the time rollback odometers, some even on a monthly basis. Me, I'd rather sleep at night.

I'd say the number is probably closer to 50%.

I am sure that you can roll back the mileage on the clock but I thought that the ecu stored the mileage as a non delete able/change able memory?

Speedo can be disconnected before it hits the ECU.

I was almost burned by this on a car. ECU had more starts/stops than the mileage readout coincided with, lots of wear that was un-usual for the age, etc.

Which statistically means half the people reading this thread do it. I guess its the ones not posting :)

Which statistically means half the people reading this thread do it. I guess its the ones not posting :)

This is the most mind blowing thing I have read on LP in years. Holy shit. Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Just getting caught up with L-P, and I saw this thread. I owned that car for 7 months in 2010 into 2011. I know the full history of it before my ownership, and some afterward. I really liked it and of my 3 Murcielago's, definitely made out on that one in-terms cost of ownership.

Anyway, if anyone wants to know more about it because they're seriously interested in buying it, I'll tell what I know. Just understand that my knowledge of it ends in 2012.