must have garages

EyeDoc

Are you doing geothermal heating for the house and floors and driveway? If not you should really consider it! Our house is all geothermal with a Waterfurnace system... But then again, that's how I make my money I am an HVAC contractor and largest Waterfurnace dealer in the PACNW :-)

I second the central vac idea, we have one in our garage, it's very easy to clean out cars with.

Radiant floor is nice but it can't cool, so look at mini split systems for cooling, we didn't do radiant in the garage due to cost so we have a mini split that heats and cools our garage.

I love the jackknife garage door openers, super quiet.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think carpet looks nice but that's it. Imagine driving in torrential rain or into serious mud or salty snow then it will melt on your carpet. You will have all around wet and dirty smelling garage floor. Hit some tiny animal or vegetable on the way without noticing it, you will have things rotten and maggots or flys on the carpet. Before you know it, it will have more going on than hippie tie-dyed bandana. Not ideal. Ofcourse you might live in a place where none of that happens...or happens rarely...

Then again all cars will drop fluids or something else at one point of time.

If you are Ralph Lauren then yes you can manage that carpeted garage.

Othervise and without zero real knowledge for apparent reasons, I think it might let you down after some time.

I think carpet looks nice but that's it. Imagine driving in torrential rain or into serious mud or salty snow then it will melt on your carpet. You will have all around wet and dirty smelling garage floor. Hit some tiny animal or vegetable on the way without noticing it, you will have things rotten and maggots or flys on the carpet. Before you know it, it will have more going on than hippie tie-dyed bandana. Not ideal. Ofcourse you might live in a place where none of that happens...or happens rarely...

Then again all cars will drop fluids or something else at one point of time.

Othervise and without zero real knowledge for apparent reasons, I think it might let you down after some time.

I live in OC California, we have one of the cleanest roads in the nation. It rarely rains here, besides I mentioned that I would probably use vinyl car mats where the car parks so tracking and stains would be protected from. I seen it before while passing a house that had their garage door opened and it looked great but didn't bother to knock on their door asking about it.

Just some of my all time favorites....

8ae1a8520231e871_6985-w500-h400-b0-p0--eclectic-garage.jpg

garage-dream-06.jpg

This house/garage is still available in Bellevue WA not far from where I used to live:

Car-Enthusiasts-4million-luxury-haven_4.jpg

Not real, but still captures my imagination:

luxury-home-garage-with-luxury-garage.jpg

20851.jpg

Simple, but elegant, and it gives a classic Italian feel to itself:

alfa-romeo-dream-garage-6.jpg

Ralph Lauren lives near my father. I saw him in his yellow P1 two weeks ago. I wouldn't do carpet in a garage. Some sort of stained concrete seems more appropriate as the quality can look like marble or granite.

Anyone ever had carpet in their garage? I'm thinking I would try it but asking for input for any cons from real experiences, stains would be isolated from the cars with vinyl car mats in the parking spots.

Shaw Carpet makes some extremely nice walk off carpets that can be power washed.

Suggest carpet squares that can be replaced individually.

Are you doing geothermal heating for the house and floors and driveway? If not you should really consider it! Our house is all geothermal with a Waterfurnace system... But then again, that's how I make my money I am an HVAC contractor and largest Waterfurnace dealer in the PACNW :-)

I second the central vac idea, we have one in our garage, it's very easy to clean out cars with.

Radiant floor is nice but it can't cool, so look at mini split systems for cooling, we didn't do radiant in the garage due to cost so we have a mini split that heats and cools our garage.

I love the jackknife garage door openers, super quiet.

I have GEO - the floors were laid for GEO but the cost was insane and I scrapped it. The driveway also has GEO but have not decided to use the systems.

Anyway what is a water furnace - all the water heaters are electric old school. The HVAC units have em heat and that feature came in handy once or twice.

• 1 year later...

I thought this section would be the right place for this. I know there are 2 different ideas for garage lifts (2 or 4 post)

The 2 post had significant advantages here.

Yesterday I helped my Dad reunite the body to the chassis of his 61' over at my house. This has been a 5 year "frame off" rotisserie project that I have helped him with a little here and there.

Hope you enjoy.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPbgqB...W9vX0VRaGlucWR3

DONT DO CARPET! I have carpet and am getting rid of it. It stains from water and dust and just a pain in the ass and after a couple months it looks horrible.

I thought this section would be the right place for this. I know there are 2 different ideas for garage lifts (2 or 4 post)

The 2 post had significant advantages here.

Yesterday I helped my Dad reunite the body to the chassis of his 61' over at my house. This has been a 5 year "frame off" rotisserie project that I have helped him with a little here and there.

Hope you enjoy.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPbgqB...W9vX0VRaGlucWR3

I love that car, can you please post more photos when it's all done? Thank you.