Tipping your car service guys?

Minte

Over the years, I've haven't. My LP640 was delivered back today from the dealer. The man that brought it did such a nice job with everything I thought it was appropriate.

What's the etiquette?

Over the years, I've haven't. My LP640 was delivered back today from the dealer. The man that brought it did such a nice job with everything I thought it was appropriate.

What's the etiquette?

Depends on where you are I would say. I love to tip people when they've been great to me, as an extra way to say thank you. I'm pretty sure most dealerships have a policy against accepting tips and what not. I would say it depends on the place, but it doesn't stop me. I just try to be real discreet about it.

Since most dealerships have issues with cash, what I've found to be a great way to say thanks is to send a card and a nice bottle of wine/booze/gift card to be a great way tip.

I asked a service manager once. I was looking to tip him and also our tech. Both take great care of us.

We ended up opting for cash. Not everyone drinks alcohol or appreciates your choice as a gift. The svc mgr suggested a CC gift card (like AMEX or =) but there are restrictions on some, and user fees, and deadlines and it seemed a PITA. I wanted to give a restaurant gift cert but learned these guys prefer not to eat out.

We opted for cash.

Sometimes it's given in a very discreet handshake or private way in which no one can see (so the person doesn't get "in trouble"). I've also done a hand written note of thanks with cash in a sealed envelope and hand delivered to service manager or tech.

I think cash is best because it's most appreciated by everyone - unless you know specifically what someone enjoys (a fave restaurant gift cert for example). Discretion is important especially if you are tipping one person who is part of a larger team.

In our case - we used to tip our AMG tech because he did SO MUCH for us above/beyond call of duty. We've also tipped other techs & service managers who provide exceptional service. In general these are people we have a relationship with and who are "assigned" to our car(s) and we know when we schedule service who will be working on the car.

With most dealerships, cash is a no-no

Sending in a small inexpensive lunch (delivered pizza, bbq, or sandwiches) is always welcomed, acceptable, and appreciated.

The best of the best is a great Yelp or Google review. People only seem to post there when they are upset. Not enough satisfied customers will take the time to post a good interaction.

I also wanted to mention surveys. Especially when a car is under warranty. Many "pay plans" at dealerships have a CSI (customer satisfaction index) component. Several companies only consider 100% as an acceptable score. 1 badly scored question has a big impact.

Cash is King. I yet have to meet somebody who refuses it. On the contrary, it always brings smile on their faces.

I agree re positive survey response, or on-line review.

I always mention by name the people who continue to provide excellent service and build a great relationship. The service manager receives a copy of each survey response (which goes far up the food chain) and always sends an email of appreciation.

My responses are heart felt - no bullshit. If I am not fully satisfied I would go to them first and try to resolve before using a survey as a weapon. Their compensation is tied directly to survey results and is very important to them.

I agree re positive survey response, or on-line review.

I always mention by name the people who continue to provide excellent service and build a great relationship. The service manager receives a copy of each survey response (which goes far up the food chain) and always sends an email of appreciation.

My responses are heart felt - no bullshit. If I am not fully satisfied I would go to them first and try to resolve before using a survey as a weapon. Their compensation is tied directly to survey results and is very important to them.

Bingo! I treat them like I would like to be treated. Makes all the difference in the world.

if the tech is cool and cuts me some slack i reach into the $100 bill pocket and grad a big piece of what he saves me. Or if get a 'on the spot" fix like air in a fuel line during a run once-i took care of the guy. If its a square dealership and i'm paying full pop for service(very rare) they go zero coming. Its all about one hand washing the other.

I've done $50-$100 to transport drivers that have delivered cars from out of state to me.

$100/car minimum unless the driver is a dick. I have a very short list of who gets nothing, wait he isnt allowed to touch my cars since he fcuked one up. So yes everyone gets a "yard or 2" per car per transport.

$100/car minimum unless the driver is a dick. I have a very short list of who gets nothing, wait he isnt allowed to touch my cars since he fcuked one up. So yes everyone gets a "yard or 2" per car per transport.

That's what I thought was appropriate. The delivery man had a 6 hour one way drive to bring my car. It was cold out, called my office when he was 20 minutes out, but managed to beat me to my house. He had the Lambo all warmed up and parked in front of the garage with the paperwork waiting. And it's holiday season, so a c-note was correct.

That's what I thought was appropriate. The delivery man had a 6 hour one way drive to bring my car. It was cold out, called my office when he was 20 minutes out, but managed to beat me to my house. He had the Lambo all warmed up and parked in front of the garage with the paperwork waiting. And it's holiday season, so a c-note was correct.

its nice to be able to be cool to the transport guys, they work hard and the good ones who know how to handle "big" or difficult cars IMO well deserve to be tipped. Same for Valets.

I've been in a bad spot a couple times and had them stop other jobs to pick up a car or 4(once) and they were tipped lots more.

However 75% of the time its $100.

It's lucky I have the luxury of owning nice cars and not tipping IMO is just bad period. I couldnt imagine how bad it must feel to be a transport guy who is making say 100/yr moving 300K cars and getting shit on. Not cool at all.