Top Gear

eddiemc2

Downloaded and watched last night. To be 100% honest I was PLEASANTLY surprised. First let me say the wife walked in and said "who is that and why is he yelling" in reference to Evans. Agree 100% that he was too loud but everyone in the studio was...even the audience. I think the sound engineers just didn't get that right.

To mis-quote Bon Jovi "only the names will change stay the same" To everyone of you out their complain that it wasn't old Top Gear....IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE. Same name new show...get used to it. Also for all of you out there comparing New Top Gear's first episode to Old Top Gear's final seasons come on. You can't do that and you know it.

On to the actual show. I thought the cinematography was great. I really enjoyed the shots of the hill climb with the Jeep vs Land Rover and following the guys in their Robin's was familiar without being a direct copy of old Top Gear.

The Reliant and Jeep/Land Rover sketches were fun. Matt really did a good job embracing a "Yank in the UK" feel without going overboard. Viper vs POS could have used way more Sabine but I am a big Sabine fan. Some of the scripting was cheesy but this isn't a straight documentary about cars it is more of a reality show so some of that is to be expected. I didn't mind Evans losing control of the Viper just after talking about the wing...it was actually quite funny and remind me of Jezza trying his hardest to hit the apple on the track with his Black Series MB. I CAN DO THAT...up until you can't actually do it.

The guests were hit or miss but as someone else said it was supposed to be Pitt and Ramsey. It will get better with time. I do like the rally cross idea and think it is a great way to separate New Top Gear from Old Top Gear. I am disappointed that the car appears to be A an auto and B have AWD. This should be a blast in the typically atrocious British weather they have though.

It was very weird to hear the familiar Top Gear opening sound track at the beginning and I think it will be even weirder to see our 3 friends on Amazon without that music. That hit home for a me a bit.

Matt was awesome. I didn't hold out much hope for Joey but I thought he crushed it. Ease to relate to...great narration of his bits, approachable on camera and a joy to watch.

Now on to the bad. Chris. Evans. What a clown. He looks ridiculous...sounds ridiculous...acts ridiculous. Maybe it is a UK thing but I just don't like him at all. He has a face you want to punch. Honestly his clothing tastes were very ill suited for him. He reminds me of Andre from The League. He is the total dork who got money and proceeds to buy what the cool kids wear thinking it is the clothes that make them cool and not them that make the clothes cool. He looks like a tool and it doesn't help that his voice is annoying. Was he really a radio personality?

All that being said I can't wait to watch next week. Hopefully the audience speaks and Matt gets elevated a bit and Chris and his supposedly large ego get knocked down a peg or two.

Are you being held hostage?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To mis-quote Bon Jovi "only the names will change stay the same" To everyone of you out their complain that it wasn't old Top Gear....IT WASN'T SUPPOSED TO BE. Same name new show...get used to it. Also for all of you out there comparing New Top Gear's first episode to Old Top Gear's final seasons come on. You can't do that and you know it.

I'm sorry but i disagree. The BBC wanted it to be the old TG with new people, that's the whole problem with it. It's not a new show, it's the old recipe but with different, poorer quality ingredients. Instead of mixing the new ingredients into creating something new that can stand on it's own two feet, they tried to emulate and failed. The new crew should have done it's own thing not rehash the old show. And yes we can compare the old TG with the new TG since the new TG wants to be the old TG. It's pretty obvious.

I reallY Enjoyed the Show.

:shock:

The issue is, I don't think anyone expected to see the old Top Gear it's just that they've tried so hard to copy it and they've failed miserably IMO.

They should've started with a blank piece of paper because they had the opportunity, this feels so forced, similar with Top Gear US and Australia which were/are cringeworthy shows.

Anyway there is plenty other junk on TV to keep us amused.

I'm sorry but i disagree. The BBC wanted it to be the old TG with new people, that's the whole problem with it. It's not a new show, it's the old recipe but with different, poorer quality ingredients. Instead of mixing the new ingredients into creating something new that can stand on it's own two feet, they tried to emulate and failed. The new crew should have done it's own thing not rehash the old show. And yes we can compare the old TG with the new TG since the new TG wants to be the old TG. It's pretty obvious.

:iamwithstupid:

ameer I typed my post before reading yours, sorry :turboalex:

Well ten mins in to the second show they have referred to the shoutiness in the first show and the McLaren piece genuinely made me smile - something the last gen of the show did not do for a long time. Chris has always been bright and full of energy though.

Only ten mins in though.

Oh and the last gen show had some incredible cinematography but this season has take nthat step up.

:shock:

The issue is, I don't think anyone expected to see the old Top Gear it's just that they've tried so hard to copy it and they've failed miserably IMO.

They should've started with a blank piece of paper because they had the opportunity, this feels so forced, similar with Top Gear US and Australia which were/are cringeworthy shows.

Anyway there is plenty other junk on TV to keep us amused.

Those are my feelings re: Top Gear USA. Stop trying to be the old Top Gear UK.

Well ten mins in to the second show they have referred to the shoutiness in the first show and the McLaren piece genuinely made me smile - something the last gen of the show did not do for a long time. Chris has always been bright and full of energy though.

Only ten mins in though.

Oh and the last gen show had some incredible cinematography but this season has take nthat step up.

Better than the first show, though that's nothing to brag about. Chris Evans delivery is like nails on a chalk board. It's like he is on 11 all the time.

I don't think the rotating cast members is a good idea, doesn't allow the core group to establish the chemistry the previous three had.

The host is the biggest wanker I can think of. What kind of genuine moron thought anyone would like to look at or listen to him. Total toolbox.

This episode was better than the first one. I too, enjoyed the Mclaren segment, but Leblanc still sucks and Evans is still annoying, even without the yelling. I wonder when Chris Harris is going to make his appearance, I really like him.

This episode was better than the first one. I too, enjoyed the Mclaren segment, but Leblanc still sucks and Evans is still annoying, even without the yelling. I wonder when Chris Harris is going to make his appearance, I really like him.

He has. He presents the online show.

The host is the biggest wanker I can think of. What kind of genuine moron thought anyone would like to look at or listen to him. Total toolbox.

Well... http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/jul/...c-nick-grimshaw

And he has presented some of the most iconic and most watched tv shows in Britain...

I don't get the hate. It is a show, Clarkson fucked up the party and the BBC have a new band and people are going on like it changes the way they breathe.

The second show was an improvement c/w the first. Still loads of headroom though.

Chris Harris as the primary presenter is the way to go but I doubt the BBC will do that. Chris Evans will be locked in contractually. They could bring Chris Harris in as the third man, copying the format of the old show. That might fix it.

Ignition, Head to Head (MotorTrend) on YouTube is a very solid program, albeit not as long as this.

I grew up on Motorweek, so the need for brilliant comedy writing and performances isn't there for me. A full season of Motor Week may hit the production budget a single episode of TG uses up.

I did enjoy Clarkson at his peak with Top Gear.....but like anything else that's initially brilliant, it gets long in the tooth after awhile (anyone up for a 12th season of Ali G or Borat? :icon_mrgreen: ).

The one thing that will never go away are the cars....in theory it should be easy to make a good car show. Just don't try too hard.

A Clarkson Top Gear replica is just asking too much, like a Simon Cowell American Idol replica...

This. And who cares what he has "done" in the past. Uu u had a radio show or tv show before, so what nobody has seen them and even if they did, does not change the fact he is total toolbox. Also spilling and spitting drinks all over that brand new jag. What a small jerk.

And he has presented some of the most iconic and most watched tv shows in Britain...

I don't get the hate. It is a show, Clarkson fucked up the party and the BBC have a new band and people are going on like it changes the way they breathe.

I think the issue is most of us in NA haven't been exposed to Evans before, and he is unappealing on so many levels. He shouts through the whole first episode, and his appearance is awful. Clarkson and company weren't beauty queens by any stretch, but their many positives outweighed their negatives. We made allowances for them because we liked them, we liked him, they were funny and entertaining together, the whole show was a blast.

Now we've got this weird ejaculation of mismatched hosts out of the parts bin, with no chemistry and a big budget. That said we're only a couple episodes in, lots of time to turn the ship around.

He has. He presents the online show.

Thanks, I had no idea, apparently the online show is called Extra Gear and is a spin off of sorts.

Well the thing is, TG is now a global show, it's not aimed solely at the UK, so replacing the presenters to the liking of its global audience is a tall order. Chris Evans is virtually unknown outside the UK. I've never heard of him until he was announced as the new host. They tried to balance that with Leblanc which was already famous. The old crew got famous worldwide on its own, I doubt anyone had heard of JC&co before the 2002 TG relaunch. People liked them and their show and that's why TG became a global phenomenon, and it was mostly by accident, it simply caught on, I don't think the BBC expected that level of success. Trying to fill someone else's shoes rarely works, that's why I think the new crew should have done its own thing instead of emulating the old TG, create their own following, rather than try to ride (undeservedly) on the previous hosts success.

I watched the Extra Gear spinoff featuring Rory Reid and Chris Harris. I must say this is a much better show, certainly better than the main show, it feels genuine, Rory is very charismatic and enjoyable to watch as is Chris Harris. Haven't heard of Rory Reid either, before TG, but I like him. I will certainly be following Extra Gear.

Btw the 'news' section of the old TG seems to have been moved to Extra gear as Rory and Harris are doing it.