DIY: Replace clutch master

Stimpy

Here's how I replaced my clutch master. There wasn't any noticeable change after the replacement, but I do it as preventative maintenance since the original is over a decade old

Disconnect battery

Remove front panel and the trim on front edge (always remove this trim when working so it doesn't crack, it's 2 screws only)

Remove big abs connector (pull the slider to the left outward and it pops right out)

Remove wiper motor electrical connector

Remove other 2 wiring connectors to the left of the abs unit to make more room

Move all loosened electrical wires out of the way so you have room to work

Mark location of wiper blade on the windshield with tape so you know where it goes back

Remove cap over wiper with small allen key

Remove wiper fluid rubber tube a bend out of the way

Loosen almost all the way but don't remove bolt holding down wiper blade

Use small 3 arm puller with center post inside wiper nut to break loose wiper, it is very hard to remove without a puller and you could break something without one

Remove wiper blade olt completely

Lift wiper arm up and set on windshield

Remove decorative cap over wiper motor nut

Remove large nut holding in wiper motor

Completely remove wiper from car now

Remove 2 nuts/washers for brake master cylinder

Remove front nut of the wiper bracket inside the trunk

Remove 2 nuts/washers in back of wiper motor bracket against firewall (lots of extensions and swivels)

Slide brake master cylinder forward and down enough to pull out wiper motor completely

Put paper towels around feed line to clutch master

Remove the feed line to clutch master and tie wrap it higher than brake master cylinder for the rest of the work

Use crow’s foot with extension to break the hard pressure line at bottom of clutch master

Remove 2 nuts with washers holding the clutch master to the firewall

Remove driver's seat

In foot well, remove the nut/bolt/4 washers linking the clutch master to pedal just above the gas pedal

Remove clutch master from car from trunk side

Move over the clutch master fork to the new unit (don't tighten down yet, you can adjust later)

Reverse install the clutch master

Adjust the clutch fork so it matches up with the pedal without any pressure pushing in the clutch master

Reverse install seat and everything else

Bleed the clutch -- I use a suction bleeder with a helper to make sure reservoir doesn't run dry

2016_01_07_16.03.24.jpg

2016_01_07_18.56.58.jpg

2016_01_07_18.57.06.jpg

2016_01_07_18.57.11.jpg

2016_01_07_19.51.23.jpg

2016_01_07_19.51.29.jpg

2016_01_07_19.53.46.jpg

2016_01_07_20.11.19.jpg

2016_01_08_10.18.45.jpg

2016_01_08_10.19.16.jpg

A couple of general notes:

Whenever I remove an electrical connector on a car, I always take the opportunity to add dielectric grease to keep out corrosion.

Speaking of corrosion, the Murci has a lot of painted and unpainted steel that will start getting surface rust if left exposed. So whenever I am working in the engine bay, under the car, inside the wheel wells, or in the front trunk, I keep this corrosion converter and a small paint brush handy to touch up anything getting rusty. If you apply it with several coats, it does not need to be painted, and dries a black color which matches all of the black painted steel very well.

2015_12_24_00.14.10.jpg

Slightly revised below. Isn't the way this forum locks you out of editing your messages within 15 minutes the stupidest idea?

Here's how I replaced my clutch master. There wasn't any noticeable change after the replacement, but I do it as preventative maintenance since the original is over a decade old

Disconnect battery

Remove front panel and the trim on front edge (always remove this trim when working so it doesn't crack, it's 2 screws only)

Remove big abs connector (pull the slider to the left outward and it pops right out)

Remove wiper motor electrical connector

Remove other 2 wiring connectors to the left of the abs unit to make more room

Move all loosened electrical wires out of the way so you have room to work

Mark location of wiper blade on the windshield with tape so you know where it goes back

Remove cap over wiper with small allen key

Remove wiper fluid rubber tube a bend out of the way

Loosen almost all the way but don't remove bolt holding down wiper blade

Use small 3 arm puller with center post inside wiper nut to break loose wiper, it is very hard to remove without a puller and you could break something without one

Lift wiper arm up and set on windshield

Remove decorative cap over wiper motor nut

Remove large nut holding in wiper motor

Completely remove wiper from car now

Remove 2 nuts/washers for brake master cylinder

Remove front nut of the wiper bracket inside the trunk

Remove 2 nuts/washers in back of wiper motor bracket against firewall (lots of extensions and swivels)

Slide brake master cylinder forward and down enough to pull out wiper motor completely

Put paper towels around feed line to clutch master

Remove the feed line to clutch master and tie wrap it higher than brake master cylinder for the rest of the work

Use crow’s foot with extension to break the hard pressure line at bottom of clutch master

Remove 2 nuts with washers holding the clutch master to the firewall

Remove driver's seat

In foot well, remove the nut/bolt/4 washers linking the clutch master to pedal just above the gas pedal

Remove clutch master from car from trunk side

Move over the clutch master fork to the new unit (don't tighten down yet, you can adjust later)

Reverse install the clutch master

Adjust the clutch fork so it matches up with the pedal without any pressure pushing in the clutch master

Reverse install seat and everything else

Bleed the clutch -- I use a suction bleeder with a helper to make sure reservoir doesn't run dry

The cost is about $160 for the parts plus brake fluid. I have no idea what a dealer would charge for this job.

• 6 years later...

Little update for the LP and potentially '05+. This is not a difficult job, but it does suck because of the tight working quarters. 

The layout of crap in front of the master cylinder is different than the '04 and accessible without removing the wiper motor.  I also did not remove the driver's seat. 

1. loosen jam nut on master cylinder to pedal attachment - 13mm wrench. 
2. remove bolt holding master to pedals - two 13mm wrench.
3. remove lower hydraulic line from master - 11mm wrench. 
4. break 2 mounting nuts loose - 3/8" ratchet, 13mm, extensions and u-joint. 
5. pull feed hose from top of master - immediately put into large bottle to collect fluid. 
6. remove 2 mounting nuts. 
7. once brake/clutch fluid reservoir is done draining - remove hose from reservoir. 
8. install pedal attachment & hose to new master.
9. install new master and tighten nuts. 
10. connect hose to reservoir & lower hydraulic line.
11. connect to pedal.
12. fill with fluid and bleed.  

Other notables: lots of blue shop towels, brake cleaner, small flashlight - a good one, extendable magnet. Move vacuum lines and electrical connections out of your way.