DIY: Much easier way to full diffs and gearbox

Stimpy

(late night typo -- subject should say fill not full)

I always dread using those little fluid pumps that take about 100 pumps to pump in 1 quart of fluid. Gravity is much better.

For the gearbox and both diffs, I am able to thread a heater hose down the chassis and into the diff and gearbox and just fill them up quick. I have a 90 deg joint to get into the fill plug, and I use a funnel on the other end.

Makes very quick work of filling.

2016_01_17_17.32.09.jpg

2016_01_17_17.37.08.jpg

2016_01_17_17.37.23.jpg

That's what I did for my last trans fill on the Diablo. Prior time I had used one of those little hand pumps while laying under the car and it took forever.

The problem with the hand pump is tha I don't have the car high on 4 corners to have enough room to pump out of a bottle. The car must be level to pump in the right amount.

I will look into gravity feed with a garden hose next time.

The problem with the hand pump is tha I don't have the car high on 4 corners to have enough room to pump out of a bottle. The car must be level to pump in the right amount.

I will look into gravity feed with a garden hose next time.

If you don't want to spend on a lift system, Harbor Freight has their 3 ton low profile jacks on sale for around $80/each. You only need 3 of them to safely get the car up and with some of their low cost 6 ton jack stands the car will be almost 2 feet in the air.

Even with plenty of room, those pumps are painful because they just spit a little out for every pump and you end up accidentally pulling the hose out of the fill hole several times while you're pumping like mad. When you're doing 2 diffs and a gearbox, it sux.

• 4 months later...
If you don't want to spend on a lift system, Harbor Freight has their 3 ton low profile jacks on sale for around $80/each. You only need 3 of them to safely get the car up and with some of their low cost 6 ton jack stands the car will be almost 2 feet in the air.

Even with plenty of room, those pumps are painful because they just spit a little out for every pump and you end up accidentally pulling the hose out of the fill hole several times while you're pumping like mad. When you're doing 2 diffs and a gearbox, it sux.

What weight and brand of oil are you using. I need to do mine.

• 2 years later...

Update:

The hose gravity feed method still works great, but I bought one of these, and it's made life even easier:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IKM57Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not cheap, but if you are using those hand pumps from the parts store that fail after 1 or 2 uses, that adds up. Some of my other cars I can't feed a hose through the top to pour in the fluid, so this pump has really helped.

I like that the opening is big enough to get your hand in there and clean off the previous fluid before switching to a different fluid. And it's designed to get all the fluid out of the bottom of the tank so none is wasted.