Remove Historical Monuments, find your Huracan torched

Destructo

A contractor who accepted a job to remove Confederate monuments in New Orleans found his Lamborghini Huracan torched.

While i certainly don't condone destroying personal properly, I certainly don't condone removing history either.

‘Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.’ - George Santayana

Truth be told, as ugly as the car was modified, whomever did it, did the guy a favor.

The man who owns the company contracted to remove the Confederate statues that have stood in New Orleans for decades discovered his $200,000 Lamborghini sports car torched and destroyed, reports say.

City authorities announced the hiring of David Mahler, owner of H&O Investments of Baton Rouge, on Thursday, January 14. Only days later Mahler rejected the bid, citing the death threats he and his employees received for taking the contract.

Mahler was hired to remove the statue of Robert E. Lee at Lee Circle, along with those of Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard at City Park, the Jefferson Davis monument in Mid-City, and the Battle of Liberty Monument near Iberville and Badine Streets near Woldenberg Park.

But last week Mahler removed his company from contention after his employees were threatened over the contract. He also reported that clients said they would cancel their business with him were he to take the job.

“These telephone calls, unkindly name-calling and public outrage expressed in various social media, as well as other area businesses threatening to cancel existing contracts with H&O, have precipitated H&O’s cessation of work,” Mahler’s attorney told city officials.

Things have continued to go downhill for Mahler. This week Mahler found his Lamborghini destroyed in the parking lot of his company. Officials say the burning of the car was “extremely suspicious.”

Mahler’s attorney told WDSU that the torching of the car “could be connected” to the death threats he received over the statue removal contract.

H&O Investments has fulfilled contracts for the city of New Orleans in the past. The company worked with the city to replace the gym floor in a recreation center in the Treme area.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/20...rghini-torched/

http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/new-or...burned/37510414

I first heard the news on facebook as I have the owner on my friends list. While I personally wasn't a fan of the wrap, it sucks to see someone's prized possession get destroyed like that.

Aren't the confederate items just getting moved to other locations? So many cunts out there. That car was hideous but still that was a contracted job, people could have been mad at the local government instead. I've got no problems with confederate stuff being hidden away.

Aren't the confederate items just getting moved to other locations? So many cunts out there. That car was hideous but still that was a contracted job, people could have been mad at the local government instead. I've got no problems with confederate stuff being hidden away.

Agreed.

History. Destructo, should they still have Hitler statues in Germany? The South is so fucked up. Maybe, just maybe this might help them move a little forward.

Agreed.

History. Destructo, should they still have Hitler statues in Germany? The South is so fucked up. Maybe, just maybe this might help them move a little forward.

History is history and should be displayed with all the good, the bad, pretty and ugly. It's important to not forget what happened and why things changed. For the parts of any countries history that aren't PC, it doesn't mean you support it, doesn't mean you endorse it, but the moment you start trying to hide away the past because it doesn't "fit" into what you want from today, things get very very dangerous.

History is history and should be displayed with all the good, the bad, pretty and ugly. It's important to not forget what happened and why things changed. For the parts of any countries history that aren't PC, it doesn't mean you support it, doesn't mean you endorse it, but the moment you start trying to hide away the past because it doesn't "fit" into what you want from today, things get very very dangerous.

Display it in a museum, not on public streets as a monument to pride.

Display it in a museum, not on public streets as a monument to pride.

Again, hiding it away vs accepting what transpired. I understand your point, just different opinion on it.

• 2 weeks later...

99% of the community had no idea who the people in the monument were or what they represented. To remove the monuments after all of these years, seems ridiculous. The removal of the monuments is just an attempt to gain additional democratic votes. It is a total waste of tax payers money. No one in New Orleans is oppressed because of the monuments and there in no need to change the landscape by removing historical landmarks at this point. Landrieu would name every other street Martin Luther King Dr, Malcom X Ave and Al Starpton Ln if he though it would help him acquire more political leverage. Renaming street, schools, buildings, etc is absurd.

Wrap or no wrap that lambo was UGLY! It didn't deserve to be torched however.

As for whether to "hide away" the confederate monuments or not they belong in a museum as a reminder of a failed rebellion and not celebrated as a cultural icon or part of our past. There is a big difference between remembering your past so that you don't repeat it and remembering your past as a celebration. Monuments left out in the public space are the later and not the former. Just like the confederate flag flying over the state capital was reprehensible and deserved to be taken down decades ago these monuments serve no purpose left standing in public. They should be relegated to a museum where they can serve as an educational piece.

99% of the community had no idea who the people in the monument were or what they represented. To remove the monuments after all of these years, seems ridiculous. The removal of the monuments is just an attempt to gain additional democratic votes. It is a total waste of tax payers money. No one in New Orleans is oppressed because of the monuments and there in no need to change the landscape by removing historical landmarks at this point. Landrieu would name every other street Martin Luther King Dr, Malcom X Ave and Al Starpton Ln if he though it would help him acquire more political leverage. Renaming street, schools, buildings, etc is absurd.

Just curious - do you really believe 99% of the people did not know or is it 99% of the people you don't care about.

They were removed to gain votes - isn't he already in office simply doing his job. That's the thing about politicians who win vs those who lose they represent those who elected them in office not because that pisses off the ones who did not vote for them but because representing the people is their duty.

I get that you don't like it and you have a right to speak but that works both ways - in this case it turned into a hate crime and that's what those statues represented

Anyway - you said no one in New Orlean is oppressed because of the monuments - if it's not the statue in your view what is it.

Agreed.

This has to be one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard. You should delete it to save yourself from looking like an ignorant prick.

This has to be one of the dumbest statements I have ever heard. You should delete it to save yourself from looking like an ignorant prick.

What a great guy- offering a sword to save someone from drowning.

I stand by my statement.

You seem to have solidified it.

You guys need to stop making it personal. When communism fell in Europe it was a huge win to pull down all of the communist piece of shit statutes... So I get why it would be done... but everyone has the right to their opinion and we're all brothers here. Im not African American, so obviously different things offend me, but a huge Stalin statue would not make me feel too great.

I stand by my statement.

You seem to have solidified it.

You guys do realize Robert E. Lee's HOUSE is a NATIONAL memorial overlooking Arlington Cemetery, correct? He is a national icon, scholar and West Point grad who was fundamental in reconstruction (he did not want succession to take place at all). Having a statue of him in New Orleans is in no way at all anything like there being a statue of Hitler in Germany.

I stand by my statement as well.

You guys do realize Robert E. Lee's HOUSE is a NATIONAL memorial overlooking Arlington Cemetery, correct? He is a national icon, scholar and West Point grad who was fundamental in reconstruction (he did not want succession to take place at all). Having a statue of him in New Orleans is in no way at all anything like there being a statue of Hitler in Germany.

I stand by my statement as well.

:iamwithstupid: Comparing statues of REL to statues of Hitler? SMH. I guess I should send back my law degree because it has REL's picture on it (along with George Washington's). How many of you generalizing about "the South" actually have lived in the South for an extended period of time? The sad thing is race relations in the country as whole seem significantly worse now than when I was growing up in the late 60's and 70's. But when an entire industry develops that is vested in making everything about race that's what you get.

:iamwithstupid: Comparing statues of REL to statues of Hitler? SMH. I guess I should send back my law degree because it has REL's picture on it (along with George Washington's). How many of you generalizing about "the South" actually have lived in the South for an extended period of time? The sad thing is race relations in the country as whole seem significantly worse now than when I was growing up in the late 60's and 70's. But when an entire industry develops that is vested in making everything about race that's what you get.

I lived in the South 21 years. Is that enough?

I know about General Lee. He fought for the Confederation because of a duty to Virginia. I'm saying progress is to move ahead not cling to a past that represented an abhorrent history.

So this contractor moved some statues and his prize possession is free game?

You guys need to stop making it personal. When communism fell in Europe it was a huge win to pull down all of the communist piece of shit statutes... So I get why it would be done... but everyone has the right to their opinion and we're all brothers here. Im not African American, so obviously different things offend me, but a huge Stalin statue would not make me feel too great.

That's the entire premise of the thread - not taking it personal.

But that's not what happened - vandalism death threats.

I am offended more but what offends others than what may offend me - it's the people who can not stick up for themselves that need defending not those who can.

The only time people don't want change is when they are scared so to those who are scared makes perfect sense and that's why the guy vandalized the Lamborghini - fear.

I lived in the South 21 years. Is that enough?

I know about General Lee. He fought for the Confederation because of a duty to Virginia. I'm saying progress is to move ahead not cling to a past that represented an abhorrent history.

So this contractor moved some statues and his prize possession is free game?

No, apparently it wasn't enough. Someone else said (I assume in jest) they did the guy a favor because the car looked like hell, but I don't think anyone was really arguing that what happened to the car was right. I certainly wasn't. Of course people should respect the man's property and shouldn't harm it, or him. People should not even voice objections to him as it wasn't his decision. But that has nothing to do with the underlying issue of removing statues or names of historical figures from long ago who are deemed no longer worthy of being honored, which has become something of a lefty fad these days (e.g., they're trying to scrub all references to Woodrow Wilson from Princeton, etc.). And it damn sure has nothing to do with comparing Lee to Hitler, which is so absurd that it's evident that you in fact know precious little about Lee.

I also find it quite ironic that while you profess a desire to "progress" or "move ahead" rather than cling to "an abhorrent history," you are quite content to cast slurs at all the residents of "the South" as if they are all the same. There is not a dime's worth of difference between that and exhibiting generalized bigotry toward blacks or women or another group except that no one much cares about regional prejudice, especially if it's directed toward those who live in "the South." Is it so difficult to say that a jackass or small group of jackasses committed a crime, and they should be held responsible for it?

You really have to be a special kind of retard in order to vandalise some's property for simply doing his job, unfortunately the world is full of them so I guess it is what it is.

The moral of the story is the Lambo owner will get a new Huracan and I am assuming he also made some money on doing the job.