Surgery: Here is where we are headed

Scotty

nice but....tired of all these wiz bang advances in medicine...

1. None of these advances seems to lower costs..infact costs keep rising.

2. Millions in America still can't get basic care and the elderly biggest worry for retirement is health care.

I love science and my career has been built on science and technology advances but somewhere along the way we got lost and forgot the objective. We now have a system where a weekend stay in the hospital is equivalent to a person's annual salary....Too much pursuit of technology with little regard for the human condition!

I have my flame suit on...

nice but....tired of all these wiz bang advances in medicine...

1. None of these advances seems to lower costs..infact costs keep rising.

2. Millions in America still can't get basic care and the elderly biggest worry for retirement is health care.

I love science and my career has been built on science and technology advances but somewhere along the way we got lost and forgot the objective. We now have a system where a weekend stay in the hospital is equivalent to a person's annual salary....Too much pursuit of technology with little regard for the human condition!

I have my flame suit on...

Is that due to the technology though or the healthcare system itself? Technology has made major advances in improving care and lowering its cost. For example, far more women (and the few men who get it) survive breast cancer today then used to. And the treatments have come a looong way over what they used to in terms of the chemotherapy and such.

Things like MRIs, CT scans, etc...have improved greatly as well. Also different pharmaceuticals and other technologies.

You hear it time and time again, if you're going to start a business, try to solve a problem. One of the biggest problems out there is teaching surgical residents how to do surgery. The current way, and the way we've done it forever, is to use cadavers. After doctors finish medical school they usually do a residency in a specialty area. They observe lots of surgery by skilled professionals, and then practice on cadavers. The cost of these cadavers is skyrocketing. Eventually they end up performing these procedures on live patientsunder the assistance of a skilled surgeons. Over the course of the residency, they get enough practice to be able to perform these procedures on their own. You as a patient, have no idea, nor can you look up, how many of these procedures they've actually performed.

Several on here, who have driven on race tracks, have stated that when they played certain video games with that racetrack in it, it increased their ability to drive that course. These virtual reality programs will do exactly that. The resident perform the procedure over and over and over again, before they even step into the operating room. Because they performed a procedure time using these programs, when they do the actual one it will seem like very familiar territory. Muscle memory. The next feature will be to add Haptics. This is where you'll have a scalpel that will be not just cutting in air, but it will have sensory feeling, just like it would when you cut skin or tissue. Once you combine haptics and virtual reality, the surgeon will know exactly what it feels like, and looks like, to do a surgical procedure multiple times before they ever touch the first patient.

You hear it time and time again, if you're going to start a business, try to solve a problem. One of the biggest problems out there is teaching surgical residents how to do surgery. The current way, and the way we've done it forever, is to use cadavers. After doctors finish medical school they usually do a residency in a specialty area. They observe lots of surgery by skilled professionals, and then practice on cadavers. The cost of these cadavers is skyrocketing. Eventually they end up performing these procedures on live patientsunder the assistance of a skilled surgeons. Over the course of the residency, they get enough practice to be able to perform these procedures on their own. You as a patient, have no idea, nor can you look up, how many of these procedures they've actually performed.

Several on here, who have driven on race tracks, have stated that when they played certain video games with that racetrack in it, it increased their ability to drive that course. These virtual reality programs will do exactly that. The resident perform the procedure over and over and over again, before they even step into the operating room. Because they performed a procedure time using these programs, when they do the actual one it will seem like very familiar territory. Muscle memory. The next feature will be to add Haptics. This is where you'll have a scalpel that will be not just cutting in air, but it will have sensory feeling, just like it would when you cut skin or tissue. Once you combine haptics and virtual reality, the surgeon will know exactly what it feels like, and looks like, to do a surgical procedure multiple times before they ever touch the first patient.

It is brilliant. Additionally it could even more advance surgery Beyond current robotic surgery as combining sophisticated 3D imaging and haptic feedback to create a better remote operating system. The visualization of structures colored and separated could help delicate operations move along safer and more efficiently too.

It is brilliant. Additionally it could even more advance surgery Beyond current robotic surgery as combining sophisticated 3D imaging and haptic feedback to create a better remote operating system. The visualization of structures colored and separated could help delicate operations move along safer and more efficiently too.

This is exactly where robotic surgery is headed. The new simulators will have actual procedures instead of thread the ring games and such. They are currently working on layering CT, MRI, etc. over the 3D image in real time during the surgery. Haptic feedback is in the pipeline as well. Will be cool to see where it is 5-10-15 years from now.

This is exactly where robotic surgery is headed. The new simulators will have actual procedures instead of thread the ring games and such. They are currently working on layering CT, MRI, etc. over the 3D image in real time during the surgery. Haptic feedback is in the pipeline as well. Will be cool to see where it is 5-10-15 years from now.

I was wondering if you were going to jump in this thread. ;) You never texted me to let me know how the 12th went. :icon_thumleft:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for this. Even if my generation don't live to see the benefits of it, the next will, and that's what science is all about.

They also are on the verge of being able to grow people new organs in pigs. Not pig organs, but human organs in pigs.

They also are on the verge of being able to grow people new organs in pigs. Not pig organs, but human organs in pigs.

They can do it already, just not approved for human use yet.