Which Gallardo to buy?

ar15meister

What is the "Gallardo to buy"?

What I mean is what is the best model for the best value right now?

If someone was looking for one would it be wise to try and buy a 2008 Superleggera or a newer 2009 LP560-4? I am looking for opinions on driving, future value and cost of ownership/usability. Car would be driven 2000-4000 kilometers per year.

No Convertibles please.

Thank you in advance.

Don't see a regular LP560 holding value better than an 08 SL. I'd assume upkeep is going to be pretty similar. Driving aspects will be different but only you can judge that by test drives.

can I ask why you suggest what you suggest? I really know nothing about the model aside from the fact that it is one that I like and I think the Superleggera's might be undervalued at the moment and poised to be a future collectible that I could use and not get hurt on depreciation.

can I ask why you suggest what you suggest? I really know nothing about the model aside from the fact that it is one that I like and I think the Superleggera's might be undervalued at the moment and poised to be a future collectible that I could use and not get hurt on depreciation.

There were ~10000 Gallardos of many editions built. The chances of one becoming a future classic is small. That being said it seems the superleggeras have resisted the depreciation the best. I think secondary will POSSIBLY be the manual ones. The Manual superleggeras would be woth a lot but of the 08 ones there 'might' be one that wasn't made twin turbo. Similar goes to 570 sl manuals. The STS is a superleggera on steroids and IMO is the most precious of the gallardos. Others may not feel the same. Anyone who has driven an STS knows it's a special car.

Assman pretty much hit the nail on the head. Buying a Gallardo as an investment is probably not the best choice tho. Invest in something else, then buy the Lambo as a toy

Another thing to consider...one reason I bought an early Gallardo (2005) was because I felt they are probably closer to the "bottom" in terms of depreciation than the newer cars. Now, I have seat time in many versions, and of course the pre-lp cars are no where near as good as the lp cars, but in terms of "value" I think they are great, but everyone is different. I go for value, so it was hard to justify the lp premium, especially since I wanted a manual and the lp sticks were like 80k more on average than a pre-lp manual. I feel like as long as I maintain mine properly, and don't put too many miles on it, it should at least hold its value pretty well (barring the occurrence of adverse macro-economic factors that would cause all high-dollar "luxury" goods to take a hit). Good luck. Find a good, clean specimen and you really can't go wrong.

Any manual lambo is going to hold value well IMO. I'll be very happy with mine! An SL would have been my next choice. Ignoring funds, an STS or squadra corsa for sure.

Any manual lambo is going to hold value well IMO. I'll be very happy with mine! An SL would have been my next choice. Ignoring funds, an STS or squadra corsa for sure.

Is that a subtle hint as to what is to come??

Another thing to consider...one reason I bought an early Gallardo (2005) was because I felt they are probably closer to the "bottom" in terms of depreciation than the newer cars. Now, I have seat time in many versions, and of course the pre-lp cars are no where near as good as the lp cars, but in terms of "value" I think they are great, but everyone is different. I go for value, so it was hard to justify the lp premium, especially since I wanted a manual and the lp sticks were like 80k more on average than a pre-lp manual. I feel like as long as I maintain mine properly, and don't put too many miles on it, it should at least hold its value pretty well (barring the occurrence of adverse macro-economic factors that would cause all high-dollar "luxury" goods to take a hit). Good luck. Find a good, clean specimen and you really can't go wrong.

All early Gallardos are near the bottom of their depreciation, the 06 year on up had a lot of minor improvements that make them better cars and they are more reliable. The mininal premium for them I think is worth it. Lamborghini took the initial feedback and ironed out most to the issues in the SE edition that then became the standard 06 car. As your comment that the LP cars are better, it's true they are more refined, some prefer the rawness of the earlier generation. You're right though, an $80k premium is hard to justify if value is a significant consideration.

That said all SL's, especially the manuals will retain their value better, the STS and the Squadra likewise.

The total production run was over 14,000, only very special limited production models will be collectible.

The blue one was a lemon buy back if I'm not mistaken. My buddy was trying to buy it but it sold to a guy in france, I believe. At least that it what the Chicago dealer told my buddy, if its the same car.

I bought a 2008 Superleggera last year. I love race car derivatives like Porsche GT3, Ferrari Challenge Stradale / Scuderia / Speciale. And offcourse the Lambo Superleggera.

I think they are more special than their ´normal´ sisters.

They probably will keep their value better, because of the limited production numbers.

But more important, the Superleggera is a great car to drive!

According to GallardoSuperleggera.com, 618 cars were produced. Probably 172 cars has been shipped to the US.

Best pick for the Gallardo will be the Trofeo Stradale with only 150 cars ever built, but they are quite expensive...

Lewie

Assman pretty much hit the nail on the head. Buying a Gallardo as an investment is probably not the best choice tho. Invest in something else, then buy the Lambo as a toy

Buy what you like and figure it's going to go down in value. If you can't afford the depreciation don't buy the car. The SL or STS are the most unique Gallardo models and probably will depreciate less than other models.