Engine Bay LED lights?!

marlonbvm

Hey guys, loving my LP640, but you know we car owners like to tinker with things. So I thought, I should add some LED lights to the engine bay for effects at night. Call me silly, call me childish, I actually like the way it looks. Has anyone done this before on a Murci LP640? I have done it before on a Ferrari. What's the easiest way to wire it, and access the engine bay from the cabin? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Hey guys, loving my LP640, but you know we car owners like to tinker with things. So I thought, I should add some LED lights to the engine bay for effects at night. Call me silly, call me childish, I actually like the way it looks. Has anyone done this before on a Murci LP640? I have done it before on a Ferrari. What's the easiest way to wire it, and access the engine bay from the cabin? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

If you don't need switched power, which you may not because you'll probably have a switch for the lights in the engine bay, it's easy because the battery is right there in the wheel well and there's a big positive terminal on the left side of the engine bay that you can easily add an appropriate wiring connector.

I'll be interested to see if someone knows of a good switched power in the engine bay that doesn't have anything to do with the engine management. I'll need switched power for my exhaust project which has a remote controlled key fob vacuum valve. I tested the remote system to use 1/3 amp when it's activating the valve, so I don't want to leave that on all the time or it'll drain the battery.

Thanks so much!

LEDs barely draw any current; why not just run them off your DRL/tailights?

LEDs barely draw any current; why not just run them off your DRL/tailights?

If he did that and he wants to park the car at say a car event and pop the hood with the lights, he would have to leave on his parking lights also, which isn't ideal.

Yes, LEDs barely draw a current, you could leave them running all night and should be fine. I'm worried about splicing into cables, probably rather just connect directly to the battery. But it seems like that's no easy feat and then running it to the driver's cabin.

Yes, LEDs barely draw a current, you could leave them running all night and should be fine. I'm worried about splicing into cables, probably rather just connect directly to the battery. But it seems like that's no easy feat and then running it to the driver's cabin.

There is a easy solution with a on/off module with wireless remote that you can get off on eBay. Simply hook up to the positive terminal in the left side engine and ground, no wire splicing. You can turn it on while you're driving, parked with bonnet open or close.

I haven't looked in detail, but if you pull the carbon fiber panels from the left side of the engine bay, you should see your wiring routes. There's a big fuse panel behind the driver's seat that must have a good route for those types of wires already.

To pull the fuse panel, it's 3 allen bolts under the storage lid, and 3 phillips screws under the edge of the carpet.

There is a easy solution with a on/off module with wireless remote that you can get off on eBay. Simply hook up to the positive terminal in the left side engine and ground, no wire splicing. You can turn it on while you're driving, parked with bonnet open or close.

Brilliant Idea, I didn't even think about that. Do you have a link as an example for what module to use?

Thank so much.

Here's one that I have on my Ferrari, works pretty good, no issues over a year now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-INC-12V-DC-on-...ziqlpE1tp-UvJ8g

Aweosme, I'll buy that one. Only thing the terminal on the left side of the engine bay is 2 positives I believe? So just hook the negative up to a screw ground somewhere in the engine bay..? Also, do you use any fuse for the hot wire? If so how strong?

Aweosme, I'll buy that one. Only thing the terminal on the left side of the engine bay is 2 positives I believe? So just hook the negative up to a screw ground somewhere in the engine bay..? Also, do you use any fuse for the hot wire? If so how strong?

Always use a fuse. You need to count up the number of lights and the wattage for each to determine the fuse and wiring sizes. Too big of wires is not a problem, but too big of a fuse is dangerous if the fuse doesn't blow before the wires burn up. Lots of burnt down super cars are from careless wiring add ons.

It will probably be a 5 amp fuse, but it depends on your project. With that swtich, you can't go over 7.5 amps or whatever the ad said unless you add your own relay wiring in conjunction with it.

This is the port in the engine bay. Bot positive I think....? The negative I could just hook up to the bolt that holds down the engine lid mechanism? see pics attached. Photo_Mar_01__1_55_35_PM.jpgPhoto_Mar_01__1_57_22_PM.jpg

Always use a fuse. You need to count up the number of lights and the wattage for each to determine the fuse and wiring sizes. Too big of wires is not a problem, but too big of a fuse is dangerous if the fuse doesn't blow before the wires burn up. Lots of burnt down super cars are from careless wiring add ons.

It will probably be a 5 amp fuse, but it depends on your project. With that swtich, you can't go over 7.5 amps or whatever the ad said unless you add your own relay wiring in conjunction with it.

Thanks, that's def a good point. Yes fuse a must, I'll make sure I'm going to use the proper fuse size once i know exact numbers of LEDs.

That kit has 15 amps tops. So according to google that translates to 180W?

These are the lights I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z9NVLV...ailpage_o01_s00

which are 72W for 5 meter. So that should be plenty if I'm understanding this properly.

This is the remote on off switch:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZRW78...ailpage_o02_s00

Sorry, I'm clearly no electrical engineer.. you guys are all super helpful !

Thanks guys!! Appreciate the kind words.

These are the LED lights I'm using.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Z9NVLV0/r...rcrr+led+lights

It's a cool white, almost s blueish tint to it. The remote works like a charm. Don't know how I never thought of that. Brilliant!!

Took probably 2-3 hours with soldering, hiding all the cables, and uninstalling the side panels etc.

It looks worthwhile, subtle and does provoke me to do it on my LP640. :)