Egear Warning Light

JanDaMan

Did my usual fun time Newport - Seal Beach PCH drive, and when I got home to park the car when I put it in reverse it didn't seem to take on the first push of reverse. However when I pushed reverse again it went into reverse ok. But then I noticed the Egear warning as shown in the photo. I put it in first to go into the driveway, and then into reverse again to adjust the car in the garage. That's when I noticed the warning light went out. Not sure if all is ok now or not, so I guess I will see on my next drive. I searched the forum and found that warning light could be caused by several things. I tell ya though what a pain in the crotch driving through all that roadwork delay on what used to be a wonderful drive years ago on PCH. It seems like the last 6 months or so is always some type of construction, pushing everyone to one lane which I am sure beats on Egear cars with stop and go. Not sure if that had some effect causing my warning light situation, but yesterday was real heavy stop and go. I allow a couple car spaces before moving forward in the creepy crawl traffic, but still all that stop and go traffic business can't be good. Ha ha, all right in the PCH area of the exotic car shops McLaren, Ferrari/Maserati, Phillips auto etc, I am sure they hate that crap. Will go 55/PCH to Seal Beach from now on.

25381425483_dc034967ee_b.jpgEgear Warning Light - Ugh! by JanDaMan, on Flickr

Don't sweat it, the R button was probably slightly stuck which causes the light to go on even though the transmission is in gear. I freaked out the first time it happened to me and Sprite told me the same thing. Should be just fine!

Don't sweat it, the R button was probably slightly stuck which causes the light to go on even though the transmission is in gear. I freaked out the first time it happened to me and Sprite told me the same thing. Should be just fine!

Excellent! I purchased this car for low maintenance, ha ha. A google search showed all kinds of potential issues with that light showing up, but I prefer your idea the best. We will see next Huntington Beach trip in a week or so.

• 2 months later...

Everything has been ok on my few brief drives since March when I first posted, until today in a drive from Newport, Huntington Beach & Seal Beach (maybe 20 miles or so). Twice the egear light came on. One time I was in third I believe, and then I drove to the side where I tried to go into first, but it just flashed between N and 1 on the dash and would not go into first. After a few seconds it was ok and I drove it again. Second time about 10 miles later it pretty much did the same thing, but this time I sat on the side of the road a while not being able to go into first. It would just flash between N and 1 in the dash. I shut it off after a couple tries to get it into first, as I thought maybe it got hot driving in some stop & go; however resting didn't help. Before calling for a tow, I thought to try the reverse button just to see what would happen, and it was fine with reverse, and then I tried first and all was ok again to get home. What the heck?

Everything has been ok on my few brief drives since March when I first posted, until today in a drive from Newport, Huntington Beach & Seal Beach (maybe 20 miles or so). Twice the egear light came on. One time I was in third I believe, and then I drove to the side where I tried to go into first, but it just flashed between N and 1 on the dash and would not go into first. After a few seconds it was ok and I drove it again. Second time about 10 miles later it pretty much did the same thing, but this time I sat on the side of the road a while not being able to go into first. It would just flash between N and 1 in the dash. I shut it off after a couple tries to get it into first, as I thought maybe it got hot driving in some stop & go; however resting didn't help. Before calling for a tow, I thought to try the reverse button just to see what would happen, and it was fine with reverse, and then I tried first and all was ok again to get home. What the heck?

Believe it or not, this is likely a simple fix :) well.. ok not simple, but overall cheap. I had this same issue years ago, its the speed sensor, there are two of them (input and output), and the lamborghini computer can tell you which one is the one giving the errors. Change it (I think even at retail its only like 95 bucks, but its a VW part, so you can get it for half that just by searching for the VW part number and not the lambo one). Swap the bad one out, and it should solve the problem. Again its the vechicle speed sensor, and the egear needs it to know how fast you are going for gear shifts (up and down), it does NOT use the speedometer.

Thanks,

Jon

Believe it or not, this is likely a simple fix :) well.. ok not simple, but overall cheap. I had this same issue years ago, its the speed sensor, there are two of them (input and output), and the lamborghini computer can tell you which one is the one giving the errors. Change it (I think even at retail its only like 95 bucks, but its a VW part, so you can get it for half that just by searching for the VW part number and not the lambo one). Swap the bad one out, and it should solve the problem. Again its the vechicle speed sensor, and the egear needs it to know how fast you are going for gear shifts (up and down), it does NOT use the speedometer.

Thanks,

Jon

Thanks a lot for the input. Any photos of the sensors location? If its an easy to get at location, maybe I can just change both for good measure myself. Any VW part number handy? Good you were able to fix yours, as it is kind of embarrassing, and possibly a bit dangerous too. Poking reverse momentarily was the only thing that allowed me to then get into first.

my e-gear warning light would go off randomly on my 07 LP640. freaked my out the first time it happened. it did lock me out of all gears besides 1st. the funny thing is, the light goes away and i'd drive fine after about 300-500 yards. happened 2-3 times under my ownership. it was so random that we couldn't figure out what was causing it. maybe it was that speed sensor thing.

my e-gear warning light would go off randomly on my 07 LP640. freaked my out the first time it happened. it did lock me out of all gears besides 1st. the funny thing is, the light goes away and i'd drive fine after about 300-500 yards. happened 2-3 times under my ownership. it was so random that we couldn't figure out what was causing it. maybe it was that speed sensor thing.

It absolutely was. What you desribed was exactly my situation. I would drive it, and TOTAL at random it would do a bulky down shift when slowing down, and then flash the light, and then POOF gone. It happened maybe 2-3 times in the first year of ownership and I took it to my buddy and his Lambo factory computer complained about one of the speed sensors, and so I replaced that one, and never again did it occur.

I dont have the part number on hand but interestingly enough, I have photos :)

Both of these are accessable from under the car BUT they are on the TOP of the transmission. I personally have replaced them both, so I know for a fact you can do this with simple hand tools (just an allen wrench actually and some silicone as a precautionary lubricant and sealer when reinstalling new one).

hope this helps!

Jon

sensor.jpg

sensor_2.jpg

Translocation.jpg

also, it goes away because unlike other sensors, once the issue 'clears' itself the egear system is cool with it. Meaning, yes it will hold the fault code for a while, but if the problem is solved, it knows its solved, and gets rid of the light, it does NOT need a lambo computer to clear it.

well let's hope for the OP, that this is the case... E-GEAR warning light is a bit "heart stopping" specially when you hear the nightmare stories and costs involved in some cases. LOL!

well let's hope for the OP, that this is the case... E-GEAR warning light is a bit "heart stopping" specially when you hear the nightmare stories and costs involved in some cases. LOL!

Ha ha, yes let's hope for the best! I freaked so much when it happened that I can't recall 100% really what happened. I believe the light came on "and" it went into neutral too (if just the light came on I believe I would have just kept driving a bit longer). From the posts here, it seems it is probably something that can be diagnosed by computer check. So I think I will go into Lambo Newport and have that checked and wear my Depends just in case the news is real bad and not just sensors. Thanks a lot for the sensors photos and location as noted above, but that fix & location may be a bit beyond my capabilities or patience level. Looks kind of easy plug & play process, but the location seems challenging with just rear jack up capabilities on my end.

Ha ha, yes let's hope for the best! I freaked so much when it happened that I can't recall 100% really what happened. I believe the light came on "and" it went into neutral too (if just the light came on I believe I would have just kept driving a bit longer). From the posts here, it seems it is probably something that can be diagnosed by computer check. So I think I will go into Lambo Newport and have that checked and wear my Depends just in case the news is real bad and not just sensors. Thanks a lot for the sensors photos and location as noted above, but that fix & location may be a bit beyond my capabilities or patience level. Looks kind of easy plug & play process, but the location seems challenging with just rear jack up capabilities on my end.

Like I always say, know your skill level in whatever it is you do (driving, wrenching, etc). So I am not pushing you to do it, just provided the answer to your question.

Jon

Like I always say, know your skill level in whatever it is you do (driving, wrenching, etc). So I am not pushing you to do it, just provided the answer to your question.

Jon

Man Jon I'm really bummed you're selling your Murci - you have been a serious wealth of knowledge on these cars. Guys like you, Stimpy and of course the Lambo Godfather (Jeff from LNB) being able to help with first hand experience is a big part of what makes this community so awesome.

Man Jon I'm really bummed you're selling your Murci - you have been a serious wealth of knowledge on these cars. Guys like you, Stimpy and of course the Lambo Godfather (Jeff from LNB) being able to help with first hand experience is a big part of what makes this community so awesome.

Kind words, I definitely appreciate it. I'm still a huge lamborghini lover, so I'll come around from time to time, I like to share my knowledge as you have all seen. But I just like to try different cars, I think I am now averaging a new car every 1.5 years, so for the lambo to have lasted almost 5 speaks volumes to my love for the cars.

And I second JeffLambo as the Godfather, he and I have talked significantly (text and phone) over the last year, and he's been an amazing resource. I'm smarter now for knowing him.

Thanks,

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Shop found potentiometer code as the problem. Then they ran self learn which as explained to me helps it learn gear spacing adjustments somewhat. So, all is good so far. Seems its kind of a rare thing, so maybe will not happen again. The tech gave me a tip if it happens again. I can press the R button and then select 1st which seemed to help me when I was stuck. Or can turn the ignition to the on position and select all gears going up and then select all gears going down, and then start the engine and see if egear works again. They don't anticipate it happening again, but at least there are some tricks it seems if I get the issue again.

Good I went in, as they also did recall for he CCB fasteners replacement, which took quite a while to do. Snap also showed 80% clutch left, so that was good news too.

Egear was fun driving home as now I am getting more used to it and really enjoying it. Acquired left foot tendinitis somehow starting last week which hurts like hell driving my stick Panteras, so for that alone grateful for the egear. Back pain is also a big plus for egear, as clutch pressing prevents any driving fun. You young guys will find out later.

Glad you got your egear sorted.

"Snap also showed 80% clutch left, so that was good news too." How many miles are on the clutch? Mine is at about 75% after 11k miles, all I do is try to prevent reversing up hills and I will let the car start to move and the clutch engage before punching it.

"Snap also showed 80% clutch left, so that was good news too." How many miles are on the clutch? Mine is at about 75% after 11k miles, all I do is try to prevent reversing up hills and I will let the car start to move and the clutch engage before punching it.

11k with 75% clutch left is great. I get the similar mileage out of my old 04 Murci with similar driving style as yours, except...down shifts and high rpm pulls. :icon_mrgreen: can not live with out this.

Shop found potentiometer code as the problem. Then they ran self learn which as explained to me helps it learn gear spacing adjustments somewhat. So, all is good so far. Seems its kind of a rare thing, so maybe will not happen again. The tech gave me a tip if it happens again. I can press the R button and then select 1st which seemed to help me when I was stuck. Or can turn the ignition to the on position and select all gears going up and then select all gears going down, and then start the engine and see if egear works again. They don't anticipate it happening again, but at least there are some tricks it seems if I get the issue again.

Good I went in, as they also did recall for he CCB fasteners replacement, which took quite a while to do. Snap also showed 80% clutch left, so that was good news too.

Egear was fun driving home as now I am getting more used to it and really enjoying it. Acquired left foot tendinitis somehow starting last week which hurts like hell driving my stick Panteras, so for that alone grateful for the egear. Back pain is also a big plus for egear, as clutch pressing prevents any driving fun. You young guys will find out later.

Congrats on getting your e-gear all sorted out. Despite some of the sensitive nature of the e-gear inhibited, I'm really loving it.

I am still just under 10K miles, so we are doing about the same I think on clutch wear. The long time Lambo mechanic said the egear and gearing is set up much better on the LP 640 than the earlier cars where the LP640 grabs sooner. But as we all know driver style matters a lot of for wear, and the environment too. The day all this happened to me was a day of constant stop & go traffic along PCH babe watching. Babe watching was good, stop & go on the clutch bad. Plus it was hot and humid and my air was weak, so I had that recharged too and now blows 45. It was a suck ass day when it happened, weather hot as hell, weak AC, and me sitting off the road thinking maybe letting it cool down for 15 min would help while I see huge trucks in my rear view mirror approaching before they jerked back in their lane. Either they were texting or just blind not to see a bright pearl green car on the side of the road. Lesson learned for me "pull way the hell over". No wonder bikers get killed riding along side of the road. People doing everything but paying attention to driving.

I am still just under 10K miles, so we are doing about the same I think on clutch wear. The long time Lambo mechanic said the egear and gearing is set up much better on the LP 640 than the earlier cars where the LP640 grabs sooner. But as we all know driver style matters a lot of for wear, and the environment too. The day all this happened to me was a day of constant stop & go traffic along PCH babe watching. Babe watching was good, stop & go on the clutch bad. Plus it was hot and humid and my air was weak, so I had that recharged too and now blows 45. It was a suck ass day when it happened, weather hot as hell, weak AC, and me sitting off the road thinking maybe letting it cool down for 15 min would help while I see huge trucks in my rear view mirror approaching before they jerked back in their lane. Either they were texting or just blind not to see a bright pearl green car on the side of the road. Lesson learned for me "pull way the hell over". No wonder bikers get killed riding along side of the road. People doing everything but paying attention to driving.

This is certainly true, lp640 runs shorter ratios then the Murcielago does in its transmission gears, its why I was glad I switched to lp640 trans, as its noticeably better in 1st and reverse for not burning up the clutch, it also makes the car a noticeable bit snappier!

Glad it was the egear relearn, unfortunately that's only really ever needed when you do a major service that included removing the egear actuator. Oh well, these cars are finicky at times, so who knows, not here to be a nay sayer, I've ran the same program on my car a few times just out of the novelty of hearing the computer automatically selecting the gears in a rhythmic fashion.

Hope your potentiometer doesn't go out. It's a cheap part that was improved on the later cars, but in the Murcie it's an engine out replacement.

Yeah I hope too that the relearn did the trick, only time will tell. Tech said that usually when the potentiometer goes, you don't get to operate the car at all and it will not reset. So thats partly why he felt it just needed relearn. I agree engine out is no fun, especially when the clutch is still real good and really no need to change that out too.