Manual Transmission Swap?

MW000

The ECU's might have something to do with the need to change the cluster. And it may also have something to do with the fact that the ECU on the egears is also controlling the engine throttle to do all that fancy blipping of the trottle on down shifts.

Lots of parts. If it could be done for $25K with parts and labor, you could make a business out of converting cars. Right now, early egears seem to struggle to break $120K and good luck finding a manual one now that doesn't have asking prices close to $200K.

Totally forgot about blipping the throttle. I don't think it could be done for $25k unless the parts are used. But if someone didn't care about originality (prob not because changing transmissions), they could sell off the egear parts to recoup the price.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally forgot about blipping the throttle. I don't think it could be done for $25k unless the parts are used. But if someone didn't care about originality (prob not because changing transmissions), they could sell off the egear parts to recoup the price.

Could take many years to sell all the egear parts, more so if a lot of people starting doing the swap and flood the market with egear parts and drive supply way down on used manual parts.

What about throwing CEL lights and then dealing with possible Smog issues in CA? Underground said it will throw ODB2 transmission codes what will prevent it from passing inspections.

Mine throws a CEL sometimes on cold start and goes away later after driving, just saying these are sensitive toys I think the investment and headaches to come don't make sense, sell your old one and find an older true manual.

Dwiggs quoted me about $30k, UG racing has no interest in doing it, they've done it on G but not a Murcie and didn't recommend it.

The guy that said he could do it, spent 2+ years destroying an LP670 and couldn't manage to get 20ft of tubing working properly. Then had one of his projects end up at UR to get un-wigged.

The guys who are essentially the gold standard in fcuking with every aspect of any modern lambo tells you it's a bad idea.

Why is this still being discussed?

It's a completely pointless exercise. Pony up and buy a manual.

I think the question is more of supply and demand of manuals. And you probably have to settle on a car regardless of color and options.

I think the question is more of supply and demand of manuals. And you probably have to settle on a car regardless of color and options.

Exactly.

It was hard enough finding a high option balloon white low mileage, no stories car local to me.

I haven't even seen any 640 manual roadsters come up, only the Grigio avalon with red interior in Miami but that sold pretty quickly

I wouldn't be interested in selling it for a 580

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm new to the forums, been a long time member of other forums since 2000. I try to read as much as I can before asking questions, apologies if they are repetitive for the older members

It's been done on a few G's, why would it be so much harder on an M?

... and if you wanted a manual SV, your only choice is to do a swap.

That is my idea of an ultimate car under $1M

640 manual roadster is my runner up. I would be a very happy man

There has to be one successful guy out there. Reiter Engineering probably knows these cars inside out but I don't know anyone there :(

... and if you wanted a manual SV, your only choice is to do a swap.

Or make Roy an offer he can't refuse. There are 3 manual SV's in the states from last I read.

Or make Roy an offer he can't refuse. There are 3 manual SV's in the states from last I read.

I am pretty sure from reading other threads that none of the three will ever sell for any amount of money. I think Roy was offered a mil for his SV and refused, but don't recall if that is true. Roy has made it clear he will not sell any of his personal cars ... only when he meets up with Ferruccio and the kids sell the cars will anyone have a chance to buy.

If I had the means to park an SV next to the 6.0, it would be getting a swap as we speak.

I am pretty sure from reading other threads that none of the three will ever sell for any amount of money. I think Roy was offered a mil for his SV and refused, but don't recall if that is true. Roy has made it clear he will not sell any of his personal cars ... only when he meets up with Ferruccio and the kids sell the cars will anyone have a chance to buy.

If I had the means to park an SV next to the 6.0, it would be getting a swap as we speak.

Roy had found the third one last year and sold it. The other one belongs to Ben Chen. You could contact him and see if he's tired of it.

Probably because it's a completely different car. :icon_mrgreen:

Right. The electronics on a Gallardo are much better engineered and robust, much more Audi influence. The Murcis feel much more on the brink of conforming to all necessary emissions monitoring as it is.

This idea is not without precedent - Aston does it to the 02-06 Vanquish with some frequency and it comes out great. You can either fly their Works team installers over or send you car back to England. Depending on what all they do it is $30-50k. Most people end up using it as an opportunity to make other custom changes to the car.

I don't see the factory taking these projects on and most dealers wouldn't want to experiment but I think Mondi's estimate of $75k including parts and labor would likely be rather close. That saves you money over the current premiums but the future value of a converted car would be unknown.

So welcome to me about 8 months ago.

First, Dwiggs can kiss my ass, he claims all this insight into knowing how to do it, but wont return a single phone call or help anyone out who even attempts to solicit any information. I even offered to pay him $1000 in consolation money because I'd be doing all the work myself and only need a few bits of information from him. No reply. I emailed, I pm'd and I even called his office. So yeah, Dwiggs can 'claim' he has a 2000hp SV and he can claim he converted a Egear to Manual, but I'm calling bullshit. -Slightly frustrated, because if you are going to claim something, back it up, he has not.

Next, I am likely the 'closest' person to have done something like this, as I converted my Murci egear to an LP640 egear, and even that has challenges, BUT it also got me FAR more familiar with that various transmissions and I have intimate familiarity with the Egear transmissions. So I can tell you a few things, first, the front bellhousing works the same and that will NOT need to be replaced if you do the conversion. Next the rear half is 'bolt on' replacements, so you can easily attach the manual apparatuses and mounts to it. So another NON issue. As far as the 'selector' signals on the side, again, leave them attached, they dont do shit but feed information to the computer, the do NOTHING to actuate the transmission, they are simply singles letting the car know what gear its in. (Again, I have been DEEP inside an egear tranny, I know that side cover and attachments quite well).

The major issues, which arent so major, is installing the 3 peddle setup, the clutch master, the clutch line, AND drilling the hole in the center council in the egear tunnel to allow for the shifter to pop through the tunnel. (Its covered over in the egear cars), at least the metal heat shield insulation is covering it on the underside, and on the topside some other material is covering the 'hole' if its exists.

I think everyones concern about the egear/computer is irrelevant, here is why, put the car in 'neutral' and you can REV the car all day long, SOOOOO what exactly is the computer going to do, if you are in neutral and increasing speed? Ever go down a Hill in NEUTRAL? Ever go 70mph or whatever number and hit both paddles and put the car in neutral? I do... the car doesnt give a shit, it doesnt wig out. So the computers must be TOTALLY ok with the notion of the car accelerating WHILE IN NEUTRAL, and all other functions working correctly. Egear guys know what I am talking about.

I fully support the conversion, but someone who can appreciate a long downtime to research all of this is going to be needed. One other guy was my sidekick in our search for this (he was actually leading the charge), it would be nice if he spoke up on any success he has had in the conversion. He has multiple transmissions and bell houses that he purchased and learned many lessons he shared with me.

Thanks,

Jon

PS. The PISTONHEAD link provided regarding the transmission swap guy is the very same guy I am referring too in my last line. Speak up already ;)

PS. The PISTONHEAD link provided regarding the transmission swap guy is the very same guy I am referring too in my last line. Speak up already ;)

oh hey, thats me.....

I will post up some pics of the parts and difference in transmissions.

this is not any harder than changing the clutch yourself... but there are some things to watch for parts wise. There are 2 parts that are kind of optional- in that no one can confirm if they are required or not- these are the only 2 parts I'm missing (i.e havent bought yet):

-ECU (engine)

-GFU

I was hoping to reflash mine rather than buy new units- but the best advice i got was from a tech from Lamborghini in London- "put it together, and see what lights up (on the dash)"

so at the moment i'm looking for a well priced manual ECU and matching GFU..... but i have all the other parts and have trial fitted etc.

I'm also the only person to have upgraded a murcielago to use a Gallardo/R8 throw out bearing. Despite people who "think" it can be done, i'm the only person to have done it, as I know it requires the purchase of an LP670 bell housing (or clutch cover as lambo calls it)

So you're converting your Murcie to manual? What does the R8 TOB give you compared to the Murcie TOB, especially factoring in the new bellhousing/clutch cover?

Great info though guys!

So you're converting your Murcie to manual? What does the R8 TOB give you compared to the Murcie TOB, especially factoring in the new bellhousing/clutch cover?

Great info though guys!

3.5K for Murci Manaul TOB

Less than 1K for G/R8 Manual TOB

Cost saving... but if LP670 Bell Housing is needed... all savings are negated.

3.5K for Murci Manaul TOB

Less than 1K for G/R8 Manual TOB

Cost saving... but if LP670 Bell Housing is needed... all savings are negated.

He knows this, (we talked about it), the reason this is relevant, is that he plans to keep the car for ever, and expects more than one clutch job and at that point, it starts to pay dividends.

He knows this, (we talked about it), the reason this is relevant, is that he plans to keep the car for ever, and expects more than one clutch job and at that point, it starts to pay dividends.

Jon, great to see some progress in the chat here. I love it when people start pulling things and getting real answers.

I believe I have spoken to OZMurc via email already.

Would love to do this in the near future.

Jon, great to see some progress in the chat here. I love it when people start pulling things and getting real answers.

I believe I have spoken to OZMurc via email already.

Would love to do this in the near future.

Wholeheartedly agree, and Reese (This guy) was instrumental in getting me through some of the challenges in doing my clutch swap on my egear, he definitely is a tinker'er and I am hopeful he gets the formula solved. If he does, I'll yank everything out and implement the solution to confirm it works. I am no longer scared of clutch jobs in this car, or yanking the motor/trans/differential out, its really not as scary as people feel it is. A few modifications to standard equipment makes this doable for a decent do-it-yourself'er.

Thanks,

Jon

Afternoon,

As the new guy here asking silly questions....

What in the TOB fails ?

If the actually bearing itself - can that be replaced ?

If part of the housing - could a machine shop make it ?

It has to come in far less than the retail price. They are not an overly complex piece of equipment.

Del