Alberta city burned off the map

Chin.Up

This is insane. Devastating to see, prayers for those affected.

Before and after: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/arti...-the-fire/67386

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/how-big...-mcmurray-fire/

The Fort McMurray fire has already consumed more than 85,000 hectares of land. And each hour this number grows. For many it’s difficult to understand how big an area that really is. It’s large enough to consume almost the entire city of Saskatoon; it’s large enough to destroy Manhattan many times over; it would easily wipe out central London. To help you comprehend the current spread of the devastation we have superimposed the burn area, using a map provided by the Alberta government from the morning of May 5—when the fire was much smaller than it is now—on a number of Canadian and international cities.

A mandatory emergency evacuation of 80,000+ people is no joking matter at all!

So far, more than 1600 structures in the city had been reduced to ashes. Reports say it is likely that 80% of the Fort Mac will be lost. People are seeking refuge in mining and oil drilling camps original built for the workers.

The somewhat fortunate news is that, so far (fingers crossed), no human life has been lost. Even when this is over though, it would take a long time to rebuild everything.

A quarter million acres burning so far and they are counting on the weather to stop it. It's like the apocalypse.

Would not be surprised if it had a favorable effect on oil prices.

This whole situation is an utter tragedy.

The fire started on sunday. The way things were going they didn't expected to to head towards the city so there was no evacuation.

the following day the wind changed and the fire ripped towards town. By tuesday shit go real and on Wednesday the city was basically burned to ashes.

A nearby town on the opposite side of a lake from there got evacuated today because the fire is expected to wrap around the shorline.

This video paints an even more harrowing picture of what's it was like yesterday.

and this one, which i can't embed, shows the area that it spread across and the timeline.

https://www.facebook.com/cbcedmonton/videos...08/?pnref=story

Thankfully there have been some incredible people and companies that have stepped up.

Labatt Breweries halted beer production and started canning water. The company is shipping free cases of canned waters up to those in need.

Westjet airlines sent a dozen or so planes to a nearby rural airstrip and had the workers at a nearby oil rig who were stranded with no way out sent to edmonton for free.

I don't know if Westjet was compensated for the air evacuation they deployed but either way I just wanted to say THANK YOU. I was trapped in Northern Alberta with a few thousand other locals and workers. We were bussed to a remote airport, without any idea what was going on, until we saw ten or twelve planes, all Westjet, lining up to take us to Calgary or Edmonton.

post-7090-1462506016_thumb.jpg

An edmonton man loaded up his pickup with as many jerry cans of fuel, water, food, diapers, hygiene supplies and headed towards the chaos, giving away everything for free to anyone in need.

It's an unimaginable tragedy, but there's been some incredible acts of kindness and humanity that have come out of it.

As seen from space

mcmurray_etm_2016125_swir.jpg

fcuk :shock: I really hope everyone makes it out alive. You guys up there stay safe, this shit is out of hand!

People capitalizing on others misfortune in a situation like this are deplorable. It's always shocking how quickly society unravels with even the smallest turmoil.

It is like driving through Hell. That has to be absolutely terrifying. Hope everyone stays safe!

fcuk :shock: I really hope everyone makes it out alive. You guys up there stay safe, this shit is out of hand!

People capitalizing on others misfortune in a situation like this are deplorable. It's always shocking how quickly society unravels with even the smallest turmoil.

I shouldn't be focussing on this, but...

Society is doing everything but unravelling. I haven't heard of a single account of anyone capitalizing on others misfortune throughout this entire tragedy. The selflessness and overall coming together of people and corporations, both local and afar is staggering.

No-cost accommodation provided in the work camps or free Air BnBs,

No cost transportation provided by airlines, private/corporate aircraft and busses

Incredible generosity by everyone from the individuals filling up the trunks of their cars are (litterally) driving through hell to get to those in need to major donations of money and supplies, again from locals and even from those afar and relatively unaffected (very classy move by the St. Louis Blues to donate their 50/50 draw proceeds from their game against the Predators, even though neither team is within 1,500 miles...

Just amazing.

^ That's awesome! So great that people are being decent to one another and coming together to get through it.

I have friends out west in Edmonton. I know this is a good distance north of them, but still makes one worry.

I hope everyone got out safe. I did hear that there were some that refused to leave, and the RCMP are checking for stragglers. Seeing these people lose everything, man....it puts life in perspective.

My firm has committed to match any donation made by an employee towards the relief fund. Tack on the gov't matching contribution, a donation of $100 ends up being $400. I hope other offices follow suit.

I shouldn't be focussing on this, but...

Society is doing everything but unravelling. I haven't heard of a single account of anyone capitalizing on others misfortune throughout this entire tragedy. The selflessness and overall coming together of people and corporations, both local and afar is staggering.

No-cost accommodation provided in the work camps or free Air BnBs,

No cost transportation provided by airlines, private/corporate aircraft and busses

Incredible generosity by everyone from the individuals filling up the trunks of their cars are (litterally) driving through hell to get to those in need to major donations of money and supplies, again from locals and even from those afar and relatively unaffected (very classy move by the St. Louis Blues to donate their 50/50 draw proceeds from their game against the Predators, even though neither team is within 1,500 miles...

Just amazing.

My aunt who works in the airline industry was saying that the airlines are taking pets on the planes to help save one "entire family". I think that is :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_super:

I have friends out west in Edmonton. I know this is a good distance north of them, but still makes one worry.

I hope everyone got out safe. I did hear that there were some that refused to leave, and the RCMP are checking for stragglers. Seeing these people lose everything, man....it puts life in perspective.

My firm has committed to match any donation made by an employee towards the relief fund. Tack on the gov't matching contribution, a donation of $100 ends up being $400. I hope other offices follow suit.

The skies looked a bit smokey and hazy this morning in Edmonton from the fire and Fort Mac is about 5 hours away from here.

Society is doing everything but unravelling. I haven't heard of a single account of anyone capitalizing on others misfortune throughout this entire tragedy.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. Scumbags are already making phone calls claiming they are soliciting on behalf of the Red Cross for financial donations and trying to swindle money out of people with a good heart. These parasites of the society should be thrown into the raging inferno that's taking place.

On a more positive note, a convoy of 1500+ vehicle loaded with essential supplies are heading into the area guided by military aircrafts in the sky to ensure safety. Large-scale assistance is on the way. And yes, everyone from everywhere within the country is pitching in one way or the other to help.

Unfortunately, this is no longer true. Scumbags are already making phone calls claiming they are soliciting on behalf of the Red Cross for financial donations and trying to swindle money out of people with a good heart. These parasites of the society should be thrown into the raging inferno that's taking place.

On a more positive note, a convoy of 1500+ vehicle loaded with essential supplies are heading into the area guided by military aircrafts in the sky to ensure safety. Large-scale assistance is on the way. And yes, everyone from everywhere within the country is pitching in one way or the other to help.

That's unfortunate and I hadn't heard of any such instances yet. Fortunately, those with bad intentions seem to be vastly outnumbered by the good natured ones.

The second ex Mrs Sidious lives in Fort McMurray. No contact in 18 years so I am only assuming she is still there.

If so I hope she, her family and all the residents got out safe.

A quarter million acres burning so far and they are counting on the weather to stop it. It's like the apocalypse.

Fire to double in size by tomorrow. fcuking Hell. Literally.

Latest report says it could cover over 2000 sq/km by the end of the weekend. I cannot imagine that.

Latest report says it could cover over 2000 sq/km by the end of the weekend. I cannot imagine that.

Yes, roughly half a million acres. A football field is approximately ONE acre...