what is it for????

debriga

When I removed the alternator in my 87 injected CT, I found this piece of heavy wall tubing (pipe) that is welded to the frame. Nothing was attached to it and it appears to be factory installed. Does anyone else have this in their car or does anyone know what it's purpose in life is supposed to be??? It's underneath the alternator and can be seen from underneath the car or with a mirror in the engine compartment.

post-11894-1462506739_thumb.jpg

Maybe it's late and my mind is playing tricks on me, but isn't that what the alternator bolts too? The smog pump is on the other side of the water hose.

ScreenShot159.png

I'm pretty sure it's the alternator bracket that was used on the previous 5000s. Certainly not the smog pump on a 5000s. They probably built the frames well ahead of the cars & planing of the qv engine.

Thanks for the info guys. Looking into this a bit suggests you guys are right about a different alternator mount. The length of the pipe/tube suggests it is a Yanmar tupe of alternator mount. I was considering removing it to mount a better alternator but I think it is going to fit without doing so.

Thanks guys, you are the best!