Buy option...2007 LP 640 or McLaren MP4?

Charlie

I have a friend with a 2007 Black/Black LP640 with 8,700 miles on it with carbon interior, Q-stitching and just serviced. Service indicated 45% life left on e-gear clutch. The price is a great deal I think for me at $170k. BUT, I am also considering a McLaren MP4 (year 2012-2013) and their are some very clean ones for that price range out the door here in town (AZ).

What are your thoughts? Is the LP640 worth buying for the price knowing I may spend $10k in the next year or two for a new clutch?

Have you owned either of them? If you have, go for the one you have not to try something new. Depending on what you choose, I don't think you will get hit too bad with depreciation with either. You might even profit on that LP640 at that price.

Clean carfax on the LP? If so, that is VERY cheap. Buy it, drive around for a few months and then sell at a profit later.

Yes, clean carfax. He has money and knows I will make it an easy sale for him. Otherwise he would put it up for sale with all the other LP's out there for $180k range and maybe sit for a few months.

Have you owned either of them? If you have, go for the one you have not to try something new. Depending on what you choose, I don't think you will get hit too bad with depreciation with either. You might even profit on that LP640 at that price.

Thank you for the reply...I have driven (test drive at McLaren) the MP4 and the 675. It is literally like driving a go kart...extremely impressive! the LP and MP are two completely different cars in my eyes. I have owned four Lamborghinis (two 2003 Murcielagos, 2004 G, 1998 Diablo SV).

LP640 probably better for money. they seem to be holding well in value and if not, going up slightly for a clean example. McLaren prices are horrible. the 12c (specially the earlier 12/13 models) have slowed down a lot and a lot less risky now to pick up. but 650s and others might still see a lot of room to come down in price (specially when the P14 model is debuted). i've been watching the 12c market (since i want to know the relative value of mine), and a clean coupe seems to go for about $145-155k retail.

and i might get crucified for saying this on a LAMBO forum, but the McLaren is a better/more enjoyable car overall. keep in mind, i've owned both, and at the SAME time.

- Looks and Attention: LP640 wins

- Sounds: LP640 with exhaust wins. But the 12c with OEM sport exhaust or aftermarket exhaust sounds pretty cool too. Add the turbos spooling up as well.

- Driving: LP640 drives like a big boat. Fast as hell, but not nimble. 12c is aggressive, sharp, and responsive.

- Speed: LP640 is a V12, but keep in mind MORE mass to carry. the 12c can keep up in this department when it comes to visceral speed experience.

- Tech: 12c wins. Still has it's quirks... but e-gear/paddle, computer systems, etc are way more updated and advanced than LP640.

The Mclarens are amazing cars but it really depends what you want. I test drove the 570S last week and while it was very impressive, I don't think a Mclaren will ever replace the feeling you get from a V12 bull.

That is a smoking price btw, I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

It's all personal opinion of course, but a Mac is very mundane to drive for me. Not much of a soul... I'd take the Murci all day, especially with that exhaust note!

LP640 probably better for money. they seem to be holding well in value and if not, going up slightly for a clean example. McLaren prices are horrible. the 12c (specially the earlier 12/13 models) have slowed down a lot and a lot less risky now to pick up. but 650s and others might still see a lot of room to come down in price (specially when the P14 model is debuted). i've been watching the 12c market (since i want to know the relative value of mine), and a clean coupe seems to go for about $145-155k retail.

and i might get crucified for saying this on a LAMBO forum, but the McLaren is a better/more enjoyable car overall. keep in mind, i've owned both, and at the SAME time.

- Looks and Attention: LP640 wins

- Sounds: LP640 with exhaust wins. But the 12c with OEM sport exhaust or aftermarket exhaust sounds pretty cool too. Add the turbos spooling up as well.

- Driving: LP640 drives like a big boat. Fast as hell, but not nimble. 12c is aggressive, sharp, and responsive.

- Speed: LP640 is a V12, but keep in mind MORE mass to carry. the 12c can keep up in this department when it comes to visceral speed experience.

- Tech: 12c wins. Still has it's quirks... but e-gear/paddle, computer systems, etc are way more updated and advanced than LP640.

I knew you would have some solid feedback and thank you for the breakdown.

McLaren is faster, turns, drives better, more comfortable and will likely require less maintenance. LP640 is an LP640, you know what you're getting by looking at it.

I have this stupid mindset that LP640/Murci > everything else (even though it is a worse car & I know it's a deranged view.) Now if it was MP4 vs. LP560/580/R8GT/458/AMG GT/GTR/911TT/GT3/NSX, I'd choose the Mac-n-cheese.

McLaren is faster, turns, drives better, more comfortable and will likely require less maintenance. LP640 is an LP640, you know what you're getting by looking at it.

I have this stupid mindset that LP640/Murci > everything else (even though it is a worse car & I know it's a deranged view.) Now if it was MP4 vs. LP560/580/R8GT/458/AMG GT/GTR/911TT/GT3/NSX, I'd choose the Mac-n-cheese.

That's because any lp640 lover is a deranged person who loves a big v12 rumble that screams fcuk you. Anything else pales in comparison in a similar price range.

LOL! spoken like a die-hard LP640ist. there's definitely an emotional engagement that really could tip the balance in favor of the LP640.

Though I do love the Mac and how fun and light it feels it is just hard to walk away from Lamborghini. I greatly appreciate everyone's reply and input and trust me that is why I really like this board and the members. I made my decision today and I am buying the LP640. One of the reasons is that I have had two great 2003 Murcies with zero issues other than maintenance. It is a beast of a car but that is why I do like it. Another reason is I am concerned how much more the Mac will depreciate. I truly feel the LP640 is not going to depreciate that much more. A 2013 Mac for $150 is still a very impressive buy for such an amazing car. If I was going to track it, etc then the Mac is by far the choice. This car and same with the others I have owned will be going to the grocery store and on Sunday drives...that is about it. I have a 2015 Z/28 with 718 WHP that if I want to do anything crazy or track a car that is the one I will take. So with that said I will focus on getting it after next week (I have CNBC filming next week for an episode on my company). Once I get the car I will post pics! Thank you again members for helping me make my decision!

Great choice IMO. Let us know when your business will air on CNBC, would love to tune in. Although you will have a tough time topping Lubejobs racing his Lamboat vs his 50th Anniv. Aventador when he was on CNBC.

Great choice IMO. Let us know when your business will air on CNBC, would love to tune in. Although you will have a tough time topping Lubejobs racing his Lamboat vs his 50th Anniv. Aventador when he was on CNBC.

Haahaa yep not going to top that one LOL...