Interesting Weekend

actwon

Everyone, I have this posted on another site, but wanted to post this topic here as there are different ranges of knowledge present here.

--------

Hi all. I had an interesting problem over the weekend. I went to start my murci on Saturday to no avail. The battery was flat (was not on a trickle charger). I missed 2 events. I put it on a trickle charger. By 1pm, I had enough of a charge to start the car. Now, here is my thinking:

I got the car started. I took it out for a test drive. I figure that if I drove the car about 20 minutes, the alternator could charge the battery quicker than my battery tender. I'm driving for about 20-25 minutes, then the egear error light comes on, my car stops accelerating and I cannot shift gears. I was still coasting and was stuck in 3rd gear. I coasted the car to a small parking area. Once stopped, the car went into Neutral. The battery indicator was not illuminated.

Here is where things get interesting. The voltage indicator reported the battery having about 12.3 volts (don't know what the amperage was). The car would start and run. However, pressing the paddle wouldn't get the car into 1st. Pressing the Reverse button didn't perform a gear change. I hear noises coming from the gearbox. There was some movement, but not an actual gear change.

Fast forward to Sunday. I let the battery charge overnight. I turned the car on (did not start it). No egear error light. Pressed on the + Paddle. Goes into 1st. Flicked them both, goes into Neutral, flicked the + again, goes into 1st. Pressed the Reverse button, goes into reverse. Everything appears to be back to normal.

1. Is the alternator capable of fully charging a low battery? Or is it only good for trickle charging a full battery?

2. Are, random, electrical gremlins the normal for batteries that are lower than fully charged?

This one has me for a loop. Other exotics I have owned, their alternator (as well as most alternators for other vehicles) are capable of fully charging a battery while driving. I am new to Murcielago ownership. Any insightful information would be appreciated.

Currently, there is either an Optima Red top or Yellow top battery in the, very, near future. However, I am unsure which CCA rating is needed for the Murcie's (I believe it is 800, but unsure).

TIA

Everyone, I have this posted on another site, but wanted to post this topic here as there are different ranges of knowledge present here.

--------

Hi all. I had an interesting problem over the weekend. I went to start my murci on Saturday to no avail. The battery was flat (was not on a trickle charger). I missed 2 events. I put it on a trickle charger. By 1pm, I had enough of a charge to start the car. Now, here is my thinking:

I got the car started. I took it out for a test drive. I figure that if I drove the car about 20 minutes, the alternator could charge the battery quicker than my battery tender. I'm driving for about 20-25 minutes, then the egear error light comes on, my car stops accelerating and I cannot shift gears. I was still coasting and was stuck in 3rd gear. I coasted the car to a small parking area. Once stopped, the car went into Neutral. The battery indicator was not illuminated.

Here is where things get interesting. The voltage indicator reported the battery having about 12.3 volts (don't know what the amperage was). The car would start and run. However, pressing the paddle wouldn't get the car into 1st. Pressing the Reverse button didn't perform a gear change. I hear noises coming from the gearbox. There was some movement, but not an actual gear change.

Fast forward to Sunday. I let the battery charge overnight. I turned the car on (did not start it). No egear error light. Pressed on the + Paddle. Goes into 1st. Flicked them both, goes into Neutral, flicked the + again, goes into 1st. Pressed the Reverse button, goes into reverse. Everything appears to be back to normal.

1. Is the alternator capable of fully charging a low battery? Or is it only good for trickle charging a full battery?

2. Are, random, electrical gremlins the normal for batteries that are lower than fully charged?

This one has me for a loop. Other exotics I have owned, their alternator (as well as most alternators for other vehicles) are capable of fully charging a battery while driving. I am new to Murcielago ownership. Any insightful information would be appreciated.

Currently, there is either an Optima Red top or Yellow top battery in the, very, near future. However, I am unsure which CCA rating is needed for the Murcie's (I believe it is 800, but unsure).

TIA

I'm confident that it's a simple battery issue. They really start acting goofy if the voltage isn't 110%. Stay religious on the battery tender and I'd go ahead and get a new battery just for good measure.

I'm confident that it's a simple battery issue. They really start acting goofy if the voltage isn't 110%. Stay religious on the battery tender and I'd go ahead and get a new battery just for good measure.

Thank you. Yes, I am going to stay religious on the tender. I'm searching, online, for a high CCA Optima battery right now. The person who has the Lambo DIY postings recommended a Yellow Top.

There are many times when the alternator is not up to running the car and charging the battery. If the battery gets really low (like bone dead for days), I highly recommend charging it up well before starting. It will take days to charge at 2-4 amps to bring them back to life.

I have a charger like this that will do 2/12/30/80 amps.

https://www.jbtoolsales.com/schumacher-elec...1mngaAoL_8P8HAQ

I charge the batteries at 12 or 30 amps for 30-60 minutes and that brings them back to life and I have never had an alternator issue.

Thank you. Yes, I am going to stay religious on the tender. I'm searching, online, for a high CCA Optima battery right now. The person who has the Lambo DIY postings recommended a Yellow Top.

I've had this issue with a few exotics, if that battery is not at the right voltage capacity, and the electronics do not work well at all. Sure you can get it started, but the voltage needs to be correct.

I would talk to multiple people before you buy at Optima battery. I've bought several of them and put them in vehicles. If they ever go dead, you almost cannot revive them. Worst batteries I've ever owned. Would never, ever, buy one again.

I've had this issue with a few exotics, if that battery is not at the right voltage capacity, and the electronics do not work well at all. Sure you can get it started, but the voltage needs to be correct.

I would talk to multiple people before you buy at Optima battery. I've bought several of them and put them in vehicles. If they ever go dead, you almost cannot revive them. Worst batteries I've ever owned. Would never, ever, buy one again.

I'll second that Scotty, had two of them and they went to shit in a couple years.

Check out Deka.

:iamwithstupid: I have a pair of their flooded batteries in my duramax (after the optima yellows shit the bed) and they have been fantastic. It's all I will use now. I found out about them from friends that own own businesses with dozens of vehicles and it's all they trust.

You'll probably have to find a battery dealer to get them, but it's worth the effort.

Check out Deka.

When I called around for a battery for my Murci, all the Lambo dealers recommended the Deka or the Interstate. Not sure why those two in particular though.

If it is a bad battery it is $200 fix, I have Allstate as they have alot of resellers near me.

If it is a bad alternator you can buy a rebuilt one for about $400 from .......(forgot name for now, will change later) but dealer charges 2k for it.

Tricky part is to find someone competent to do it, plenty of them in California, delaers wont install a rebuilt unit.

These cars are solid, I have had mine for a long time and over 30k miles and only major issue was clutch (first 1k miles) and this alternator/ maybe a few batteries here and there.

Had some electrical "gremlins" on my LP560 that turned out to be loose battery connections. The car did several strange things including some of what you describe above. I had intermittent warning lights, limp mode, difficulty shifting, etc.

Car transported to dealer and they started with most basic issue (battery and connections). Voila - loose connections.

Simple easy quick fix.

Good luck!

Scotty,

Really? I've put them in all of my vehicles and I have never had a problem with them. The one in my lotus have been off trickle for months, and the car still starts properly and runs. Guess different experiences. I bought that battery about 4 years ago.

Check out Deka.

Aren't Deka's OEM batteries for Lambo? I see Deka's on please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors, with a Lambo part #. I refuse to pay $1100 for a battery.

When I called around for a battery for my Murci, all the Lambo dealers recommended the Deka or the Interstate. Not sure why those two in particular though.

Interstate makes good batteries. I've used them in the past for one of my Range Rovers. Had a good experience with them.

If ur alternator is bad, your battery light on the dash would be on.

You simply didn't charge the battery enough, that is my best guess. 20-30 min isn't going to recover a battery fully in some cases.

Get your current battery checked. People, don't buy new battery every time you have a starting issue. Sure, it is only $150. But it doesn't always solve the real issue and it sure is bad for the environment.

Aren't Deka's OEM batteries for Lambo? I see Deka's on please check with our franchised lamborghini dealer sponsors, with a Lambo part #. I refuse to pay $1100 for a battery.

Just find a dealer and they will get you a battery to fit. If it's much over $100 I would be shocked.

If ur alternator is bad, your battery light on the dash would be on.

You simply didn't charge the battery enough, that is my best guess. 20-30 min isn't going to recover a battery fully in some cases.

Get your current battery checked. People, don't buy new battery every time you have a starting issue. Sure, it is only $150. But it doesn't always solve the real issue and it sure is bad for the environment.

To do a quick alternator test, can't he just test the battery voltage with the car at rest and also when running? I believe a 75%+ charged battery at rest should be at about 12.4 voltage and voltage while the car is running should be at least in the range of 13 - 14. I test mine right at the trickle charger terminal shown below coming out of the wheel well grill (someone here suggested that location, which I implemented when I changed out my weak battery). Makes for an easy connection for me and then you don't need to get in and out of the engine area to connect and figure where the cord should fit out of the engine to trickle charger. Plus it makes for an easy test as mentioned when the car is running.

27016587601_612469bffb_b.jpgTrickle charger connection by JanDaMan, on Flickr

27051869676_26ea069698_b.jpgTrickle connection by JanDaMan, on Flickr

Ive found the Murcielago to be extremely finicky when it comes to voltage. Always use a tender

after my first sport car and having to deal with dead or close to death batteries i started using them

on every exotic-vintage cars i own and owned i put a good battery tender. cars start at first start, battery last for a LOOOONG time...6-7 years?

best purchase you can make

it really spare you from all these kind of issues for so little money

Just find a dealer and they will get you a battery to fit. If it's much over $100 I would be shocked.

This.

Murci takes either Deka 734RMF or 734MF. Pull your battery to double check, or they might have it on their site.

I've burnt up a few batteries with tenders, including two Optima Red's and one Yellow. Granted, tenders nowadays may be better now but for me: 1) forget the Optimas, 2) I dumped all the tenders for full battery disconnects. Maybe not that practical for a newer car w/electronics, but for winter storage you can't go wrong with the disconnects.

Unless the car came with the battery bracket. I believe 06+. BCI Group 34/34R does not fit securely.

http://tinyurl.com/zfezg4e

See the following thread... I'm changing my battery right now and bought a 34R and encountering the exact problem. The battery sloshes around and potentially bouncing out of the tray.

http://tinyurl.com/jmbwvtj

BCI Group 91 is the CORRECT size. However, there are very few manufacturers making batteries in that size. The popular Interstate MT-91 (91 for BCI Group 91) has been discontinued and are no longer made.

Unless the car came with the battery bracket. I believe 06+. BCI Group 34/34R does not fit securely.

http://tinyurl.com/zfezg4e

See the following thread... I'm changing my battery right now and bought a 34R and encountering the exact problem. The battery sloshes around and potentially bouncing out of the tray.

http://tinyurl.com/jmbwvtj

BCI Group 91 is the CORRECT size. However, there are very few manufacturers making batteries in that size. The popular Interstate MT-91 (91 for BCI Group 91) has been discontinued and are no longer made.

The group 34 is 1-1/4" shorter (length wise) than the 91, same width. The Group 24's are only like 1/4" shorter and may fit better with minimal shimming. Wouldn't be terribly difficult to make a little adapter bracket to securely mount the standard G34 size.

The group 34 is 1-1/4" shorter (length wise) than the 91, same width. The Group 24's are only like 1/4" shorter and may fit better with minimal shimming. Wouldn't be terribly difficult to make a little adapter bracket to securely mount the standard G34 size.

Problem isn't the size but the figure. 91 has lobes protruding out at the bottom and slide into the OEM tray preventing vertical movement. 34/34R can be shimmed to eliminate lateral movement but one good bump and the battery goes flying.