Elizabeth Holme net worth revised to "nothing"

IanMan

2 hours ago, alpha6164 said:

Article says she is now worth only $800mil compared to $9b before.  

If $800 million is considered broke then I need to just jump off the nearest bridge lol 

She is worth $0 now and looking at 20 years in federal prison. 

Very interesting.  

One comment about her voice ...  I see nothing wrong with dropping your voice a bit (as a woman) to be perceived as more authoritative.

When we took our dog to obedience school - the trainer suggested dogs respond better to a male voice because of the tone/pitch and suggested women drop the voice a bit when saying commands.  I did this with our dog and it was quite effective. (Of course consistency is the key and I was diligent in being consistent and the results were worth it).

In business this was something I did - not to the exaggerated effect shown in Holmes’ videos, but I was very aware of my voice and how I was perceived.  In any male dominated industry women have an uphill battle.  Less so now (maybe) than when I came up through the ranks, but still it can be a struggle.  

A lot depends on many variables - but making a big deal of her dropping her voice an octave seems ridiculous to me.  Is it also ridiculous that we alter our clothes, our hair, our make-up, our shoes, our accessories to be perceived as more authoritative?  I did all of those things in business.  It was required.  It paid off.  I worked with women who did not make the effort (or felt it shouldn’t be necessary) and I saw the negative result.

Sure I could “do my own thing” and dress however I want (within bounds of business attire) but my clothes, hair, make-up, shoes - ALL of it sent a message and I wanted the most positive response possible.  I believe men do a version of this too, but because they wrote the rule book - they don’t have as much to change to fit in.  Women are at a disadvantage (in that way).  But we can also use our female differences to our advantage if we are smart about it.  I don’t mean that in a sexual way.  I mean it in a diversification way.  It can be refreshing to work with someone a bit different (gender, culturally or whatever).

It would seem Elizabeth Holmes’ ambition was not matched by her abilities.  Also seems like there were a lot of red flags along the way including nepotism.  That business about hiring her brother (and his “frat pack”) is ridiculous.

6 hours ago, cake said:

Very interesting.  

One comment about her voice ...  I see nothing wrong with dropping your voice a bit (as a woman) to be perceived as more authoritative.

When we took our dog to obedience school - the trainer suggested dogs respond better to a male voice because of the tone/pitch and suggested women drop the voice a bit when saying commands.  I did this with our dog and it was quite effective. (Of course consistency is the key and I was diligent in being consistent and the results were worth it).

In business this was something I did - not to the exaggerated effect shown in Holmes’ videos, but I was very aware of my voice and how I was perceived.  In any male dominated industry women have an uphill battle.  Less so now (maybe) than when I came up through the ranks, but still it can be a struggle.  

A lot depends on many variables - but making a big deal of her dropping her voice an octave seems ridiculous to me.  Is it also ridiculous that we alter our clothes, our hair, our make-up, our shoes, our accessories to be perceived as more authoritative?  I did all of those things in business.  It was required.  It paid off.  I worked with women who did not make the effort (or felt it shouldn’t be necessary) and I saw the negative result.

Sure I could “do my own thing” and dress however I want (within bounds of business attire) but my clothes, hair, make-up, shoes - ALL of it sent a message and I wanted the most positive response possible.  I believe men do a version of this too, but because they wrote the rule book - they don’t have as much to change to fit in.  Women are at a disadvantage (in that way).  But we can also use our female differences to our advantage if we are smart about it.  I don’t mean that in a sexual way.  I mean it in a diversification way.  It can be refreshing to work with someone a bit different (gender, culturally or whatever).

It would seem Elizabeth Holmes’ ambition was not matched by her abilities.  Also seems like there were a lot of red flags along the way including nepotism.  That business about hiring her brother (and his “frat pack”) is ridiculous.

I agree with everything you said. Her voice just seems very unnatural. Whether it is true or not about her voice, the rest of the story is wild.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:31 AM, cake said:

The thing is, not only was she a fraud, but basically being outright evil. She claimed to have revolutionized blood testing, where they could take a small pinprick drop of blood and use it to test for all sorts of diseases and so forth. But the technology was never workable. Yet it was used on actual people, which means that they were playing with people's lives. 

One wonders why she didn't realize (or did she?) it would blow up eventually. I wasn't like a Ponzi scheme where hypothetically, you can keep it going if you can keep attracting new investors. With this, you needed to produce real results at some point. 

Very crazy woman.