'06 Belt Tensioner

actwon

All,

Once again I have a technical question. My '06 doesn't appear to have the tensioner that is shown in the manual for 02+ Murcies. Can someone show me where it is? I have included some pics of my alternator. As you can see the alternator mounting bracket on the left side does not have an adjustment slot as the one in the manual.

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg

06 dose not use the same set up as the early cars. Yours is correct for a 06 car. Its harder to remove the belt.

Thank you. Do you know where I can get a manual for the '06 with proper instruction on how to remove and replace the Auxilary belt?

Thank you. Do you know where I can get a manual for the '06 with proper instruction on how to remove and replace the Auxilary belt?

Its the roller tensioner its to the right of the waater pump, around the alternator it uses a 17 mm socket to flex it away from the belt, and gives just a hairs amount of room to remove the belt, and it likely takes two people to take it off and put it on. One to hold tension on the belt tensioner pully (holding it back again with 17 mm socket) and the other person to remove the belt. Also remember the only way to get the belt of is to remove that aluminum spacer on the housing bracket on the left side, and DONT lose it, it drops right out when you remove the bolt.

I've done this job a few times, so I know it well. Let me know if you have any questions. But yes the 06 system is newer then the one in the manuals, and some of it is nice improvement and some of it is a pain in the ass.

Also the best way to get at the wheel tensioner bolt is with a 8-10 inch extension and you run it through an opening around the alternator.

Jon

Its the roller tensioner its to the right of the waater pump, around the alternator it uses a 17 mm socket to flex it away from the belt, and gives just a hairs amount of room to remove the belt, and it likely takes two people to take it off and put it on. One to hold tension on the belt tensioner pully (holding it back again with 17 mm socket) and the other person to remove the belt. Also remember the only way to get the belt of is to remove that aluminum spacer on the housing bracket on the left side, and DONT lose it, it drops right out when you remove the bolt.

I've done this job a few times, so I know it well. Let me know if you have any questions. But yes the 06 system is newer then the one in the manuals, and some of it is nice improvement and some of it is a pain in the ass.

Also the best way to get at the wheel tensioner bolt is with a 8-10 inch extension and you run it through an opening around the alternator.

Jon

Jon,

Thank you for your response. I found how to remove it late last week. I did it by myself, but yes, another person is very helpful as I agree with what you said. My tensioner pully bolt is actually 15mm. It is a very tight space and I had to use the extension like you mentioned. Now on to re-installing the alternator. :\

Jon,

Thank you for your response. I found how to remove it late last week. I did it by myself, but yes, another person is very helpful as I agree with what you said. My tensioner pully bolt is actually 15mm. It is a very tight space and I had to use the extension like you mentioned. Now on to re-installing the alternator. :\

You are correct, my bad, it was 15mm, not 17mm, I remember it now.

YOU DO NOT need to remove the alternator at all for this :)

Sorry if you found out the hard way. lol.

Jon

You are correct, my bad, it was 15mm, not 17mm, I remember it now.

YOU DO NOT need to remove the alternator at all for this :)

Sorry if you found out the hard way. lol.

Jon

Jon,

The removal of the alternator was prompted by this problem: Interesting Weekend Topic

have you ever had that issue? If you have any insight for me , may you respond on that posting? Appreciate it!