Do you need new door struts? Yes you do!

Stimpy

It seems the door struts on these cars last a long, long time if you consider lasting to mean the doors don't fall down if you stop lifting them. So a lot of owners that bought these cars used and never experienced new struts think it's too early to change the struts even though they are putting a lot of stress on the door handles to get the doors moving up and then having to manually lift the door all the way through to the top.

Well, if your door doesn't open like this, then you need new door struts:

https://youtu.be/LibE2JTlEMU

Having the doors open like they are automatic will not only impress the chicks, it will make you hate yourself for not replacing the door struts sooner. I waited 6 months into ownership, and I should have done it day 1.

I replaced mine on the Diablo eventually with Murcie struts. Made a big difference and I also regretted not doing it sooner.

Stimpy, thanks for the video. The door opens so effortless. One question, was the strut cold (room temperature ambience) and not been used to open/closed the door prior to filming the video?

For others who have changed their door struts, how long did it take before you noticed degradation of their performance?

Stimpy, thanks for the video. The door opens so effortless. One question, was the strut cold (room temperature ambience) and not been used to open/closed the door prior to filming the video?

For others who have changed their door struts, how long did it take before you noticed degradation of their performance?

That's how it works now whether I open the door for the first time that day, or the last time. The old shocks could be "pumped up" temporarily by moving the door up and down 20 times, but none of those shenanigans before this video was made.

Seriously, if I have to change shocks as part of an annual maintenance to keep this level of door performance, I will do it. The shocks are around $85 a piece from Glen, and while they aren't fun to change, you pick up tips along the way.

That's how it works now whether I open the door for the first time that day, or the last time. The old shocks could be "pumped up" temporarily by moving the door up and down 20 times, but none of those shenanigans before this video was made.

Seriously, if I have to change shocks as part of an annual maintenance to keep this level of door performance, I will do it. The shocks are around $85 a piece from Glen, and while they aren't fun to change, you pick up tips along the way.

AZlambo has a cool DYI on lambopower when he did it on his Diablo. I'm sure a Murcie is similar.

AZlambo has a cool DYI on lambopower when he did it on his Diablo. I'm sure a Murcie is similar.

It's a little different, but the same basic concept. I will try to get a DIY for the Murci going in the next few weeks.

Frank at Raging Bull told me that Murci struts are more powerful than older Diablo ones, and therefore really help push the doors up effortlessly on the Diablos. On the Murci, even NEW struts begin to lose that 'effortless motion' in a few months. he said the struts in the murci/LP640s were mainly there to help assist driver push door up without too much effort, but not totally on it's own.

Frank at Raging Bull told me that Murci struts are more powerful than older Diablo ones, and therefore really help push the doors up effortlessly on the Diablos. On the Murci, even NEW struts begin to lose that 'effortless motion' in a few months. he said the struts in the murci/LP640s were mainly there to help assist driver push door up without too much effort, but not totally on it's own.

You could probably just order struts thst have more upforce than standard Murcie then?

We shall see. I had the same issue with the very heavy rear hatch on my Esprit, and 3 years later, the same brand of shock still lifts it up like it did when it's new. And I lift it a lot.

Nice job. I wonder if that may be the reason some Murci doors have slight dents just under the door handles, due to some owners pulling up the doors by the handle. When I first started looking at cars to buy, I would often see slight waves in the body below the handles. When I asked a dealer about it, he said it is common and caused by the internal handle. But I am not sure if it is due to pulling by the handle or not. I make sure to just open the handle, then guide up from the bottom of the door. But with new struts, it seems the doors open nice on their own, with added benefit of chicks which is always a good thing.

It is cool to have the doors go up by themselves upon being unlatched.

From what I have learned though, once they are up and under very warm weather, it takes some effort to pull the doors down and close them properly. I.e. nothing is perfect --- if they go up automatically, they will be hard to close in warm weather; if they are easy to close, then they won't go up on their own.

I love the characteristic sound of the Murcielago door movement. It means either I just had a good time or I'm about to. ;)

Thank you for the tip, Stimpy. I nominate you as LP forum MVP; I find your posts exceptionally helpful.

The first thing I did was replacing the door strut on my LP640 soon after I got it, but only replaced one side and get discourage from opening the other side. It took me the whole 2 hours to removed/reinstalled door panels pieces and my wife helped holding the door up for me while I'm installing the new strut. Installing the strut took less then 30 seconds, but to get inside the door require a ton of "take it easy" work.

Forget about replacing new strut...I want my doors remotely open like the video below. :monkeyleft:

Too bad they want an arm, a leg and perhaps a left testicle for the remote door kit :eusa_naughty:

The first thing I did was replacing the door strut on my LP640 soon after I got it, but only replaced one side and get discourage from opening the other side. It took me the whole 2 hours to removed/reinstalled door panels pieces and my wife helped holding the door up for me while I'm installing the new strut. Installing the strut took less then 30 seconds, but to get inside the door require a ton of "take it easy" work.

Forget about replacing new strut...I want my doors remotely open like the video below. :monkeyleft:

Too bad they want an arm, a leg and perhaps a left testicle for the remote door kit :eusa_naughty:

Your poor wife! AZ Lambo tied a rope to the door and suspended it from the ceiling.

Your poor wife! AZ Lambo tied a rope to the door and suspended it from the ceiling.

That's what we did. 2 hooks in the ceiling so could do both without moving the car, and an adjustable tie down strap. But still need a helper. It is a heavy door, so the wifey must be strong.

Hahaha, I knew about the rope suspend from the ceiling in AZ Lambo post but chose not to do that. I rest the door on two pillows when I remove the door panel pieces, after that my 100 lbs lovely wife help held the door up for no more than 40 seconds as I pop out the old strut and pop in with new one. Yes I know the door is super heavy but this is the way we mingle.

It seems the door struts on these cars last a long, long time if you consider lasting to mean the doors don't fall down if you stop lifting them. So a lot of owners that bought these cars used and never experienced new struts think it's too early to change the struts even though they are putting a lot of stress on the door handles to get the doors moving up and then having to manually lift the door all the way through to the top.

Well, if your door doesn't open like this, then you need new door struts:

https://youtu.be/LibE2JTlEMU

Having the doors open like they are automatic will not only impress the chicks, it will make you hate yourself for not replacing the door struts sooner. I waited 6 months into ownership, and I should have done it day 1.

Did you purchase these new from the dealer or do you have a link? Another thing for me to add to my list lol.

Did you purchase these new from the dealer or do you have a link? Another thing for me to add to my list lol.

Bought them from AMH, site sponsor listed on the right of this webpage. Glen is the contact.

I need to replace mine!

Me too, the doors get really heavy in the winter and better in the summer but they still need some force to open.

Bought them from AMH, site sponsor listed on the right of this webpage. Glen is the contact.

Thank you for the video and contacts. I will replace them on my LP640 as well.