What tires are you guys running?

RobberBaron

Good advice. I may buy a set. Currently the Corsa's are in stock and for the set $1,554! My PZero tires are original tires on my 2007 LP640 and are starting to crack. Time to replace them for sure! I do have a set of rear tires I can at my office that are min 50% (and dated I think 2012 or 2014) from my other Murcie Pzero Rosso but want to put all new Corsa's on the LP640.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone

I'm also due for a new set of tires on my 04 Murcielago.

What about running the Rossos in the front 24.8" and the nitto NT555R 335/30ZR18 which is 26.06. This will put us at 1.26 difference.

Will that be ok?

Thanks in advance.

That should be good.

The NT01 are coming in at 1.14 difference with Rosso's up front, so that is on the edge of possibly working.

Guys - have to say this. It's fat city right now on Pirelli tires. BOTH the Rosso's AND the Corsa's are currently in-stock at Tire Rack. I can remember LONG periods without either, let alone both. Anyone keeping a Murcielago that has factory-sized 18" wheels needs to buy a set of either right now. This won't last - trust me. I'm in the tire business.

Interested in an investment? Buy one or two sets and store them in a cool dry place. When the drought hits again - you can double your money.

So I called, and no Sir. They have 2 Corsa right rears, no lefts. And no Rosso rears at all. They are all back ordered, as always. I have a brand new rear Rosso in my garage, so I will continue to be on their waiting list and drive on my Michelins throwing caution to wind for now and ignoring the .06 inch deviation from the norm (FML).

If you have an inside scoop on a set of Corsas or Rosso please PM me because I would love to scoop some up.

So I called, and no Sir. They have 2 Corsa right rears, no lefts. And no Rosso rears at all. They are all back ordered, as always. I have a brand new rear Rosso in my garage, so I will continue to be on their waiting list and drive on my Michelins throwing caution to wind for now and ignoring the .06 inch deviation from the norm (FML).

If you have an inside scoop on a set of Corsas or Rosso please PM me because I would love to scoop some up.

Oh man...that did not last long. Tire Rack called me today because I put a note to make sure manufacture date is within last twelve months. I am pretty impressed they called me to state I got the last two front tires and right rear getting shipped out today all with manufacturer date in 2016. The LR is coming next week from another location. Can't believe these are that hard to get.

All,

I'm running Michelin PS2's in the OEM size ratios. I find it difficult to believe that the AWD Murices have to run Pirelli Corsa's. The AWD system is no different than any other AWD systems in different vehicles. As with any AWD system, if the tire ratio or wheel size changes that will cause issues with the differentials. However, if you run OEM wheel size and OEM tire sizes you are not stuck to 1 brand of tire.

If you are concerned about load deflection of a tire, you may read this paper that I have always found useful: Tire Load Deflection Paper. All I am saying is tat this tire deflection stuff and required to stick with Pirelli's doesn't make sense to me.

I could be wrong. Has anyone ran OEM tire sizes suffered from differential damage? Everything I came across and read was about non-OEM stuff.

All,

I'm running Michelin PS2's in the OEM size ratios. I find it difficult to believe that the AWD Murices have to run Pirelli Corsa's. The AWD system is no different than any other AWD systems in different vehicles. As with any AWD system, if the tire ratio or wheel size changes that will cause issues with the differentials. However, if you run OEM wheel size and OEM tire sizes you are not stuck to 1 brand of tire.

If you are concerned about load deflection of a tire, you may read this paper that I have always found useful: Tire Load Deflection Paper. All I am saying is tat this tire deflection stuff and required to stick with Pirelli's doesn't make sense to me.

I could be wrong. Has anyone ran OEM tire sizes suffered from differential damage? Everything I came across and read was about non-OEM stuff.

The problem with that theory, is that is assumes that a 335/30R18 PS2, is going to be the exact same OD as the same sized tire from Pirelli. Tires are like shoes; same size between different brands - fits different. Tire sizes are not truly the same as your cross brands or even tire models. Furthermore - this theory also stipulates that to the variation in OD between the front and rear - within the brand, which is incorrect.

Put another way - there may very well be more of a disparity in size between the fronts and rears of the PS2's, than the Pirelli's.

Michelin happens to be my favorite brand of tire - followed closely by Pirelli though their quality has disappointed me from time-to-time (excessive runout, bulges in sidewalls). But nevertheless, I would stay with Pirelli's on the Murcielago (stock) wheels.

Well, actually what I'd do is dump that front differential and really enjoy the Murcielago experience. Plus, all of this tire variation minutae would be less important - though still relevant (to a lesser degree) due to the TCS.

The problem with that theory, is that is assumes that a 335/30R18 PS2, is going to be the exact same OD as the same sized tire from Pirelli. Tires are like shoes; same size between different brands - fits different. Tire sizes are not truly the same as your cross brands or even tire models. Furthermore - this theory also stipulates that to the variation in OD between the front and rear - within the brand, which is incorrect.

Put another way - there may very well be more of a disparity in size between the fronts and rears of the PS2's, than the Pirelli's.

Michelin happens to be my favorite brand of tire - followed closely by Pirelli though their quality has disappointed me from time-to-time (excessive runout, bulges in sidewalls). But nevertheless, I would stay with Pirelli's on the Murcielago (stock) wheels.

Well, actually what I'd do is dump that front differential and really enjoy the Murcielago experience. Plus, all of this tire variation minutae would be less important - though still relevant (to a lesser degree) due to the TCS.

Double,

Yes, that theory doesn't take staggered setups into account. At this moment, I do not know much about the Murcie TCS system. Is it safe to assume that it operates like any other TCS? Meaning modulating ABS braking to get desired wheel speed? Or does it modulate abs braking and manipulate the differentials?

Double,

Yes, that theory doesn't take staggered setups into account. At this moment, I do not know much about the Murcie TCS system. Is it safe to assume that it operates like any other TCS? Meaning modulating ABS braking to get desired wheel speed? Or does it modulate abs braking and manipulate the differentials?

TCS is very basic. It shuts off whatever bank of the engine for wheelspin on that side. It has nothing to do with the front diff overheating.

I don't know about the specifics of the Murcielago TCS system. I do recall running 19"/20" on my 2003 Murcielago a long time ago, and occasionally the TCS light would flicker. But I bought the car with the aftermarket wheel set-up already installed, and never researched how far off the front-to-rear size ratio differed, from OEM. My solution to that was just to shut off the TCS every time I started the vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI everyone my Pzero Corsa's which i've had on order from tire rack for 2 months were just delivered today, they seem to be back in stock for what I imagine to be a very short time...

• 1 month later...

Between getting good tires that fit & funky alarm starting oddities no wonder so many Murci's have such low mileage, ha ha. But I wouldn't have it any other way, as it makes things interesting and its still worth it in the end driving the Murci. My front tires are cracking slightly on the outside corner tread, so I am really ready for some new tires all around. Rears are down to the wear bar but not cracking. I think they are all the original Rosso on the car now. Anyone know the difference between the Pirelli Rosso or Pirelli Corsa? I hear the Rosso is more for regular somewhat tame driving and the Corsa may be better suited for more aggressive driving, but just trying to confirm. Being 60+ I tend to be more gentile giant nowadays & not that much into Ricky Racer antics like in the old days; although I still have my moments.

Between getting good tires that fit & funky alarm starting oddities no wonder so many Murci's have such low mileage, ha ha. But I wouldn't have it any other way, as it makes things interesting and its still worth it in the end driving the Murci. My front tires are cracking slightly on the outside corner tread, so I am really ready for some new tires all around. Rears are down to the wear bar but not cracking. I think they are all the original Rosso on the car now. Anyone know the difference between the Pirelli Rosso or Pirelli Corsa? I hear the Rosso is more for regular somewhat tame driving and the Corsa may be better suited for more aggressive driving, but just trying to confirm. Being 60+ I tend to be more gentile giant nowadays & not that much into Ricky Racer antics like in the old days; although I still have my moments.

The corsa tires are softer and should have more grip. Down sides are that they wear faster and I have heard of people complaining about the amount of small rocks they pick up and throw at your wheel wells/body work.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up, I received a call last Thursday from salesman "Butch" at Tire Rack. My Rossos finally became available. I already had a brand new rear in my garage so I bought the other 3. They have less than a handful left but he told me if any lambo owners need tires just contact him and he will notify when available. He is true to his word, I contacted him several months ago and he called me out of the blue.

I still have practically new Michelin Pilots on my car, but I may just switch out for the sake of having a newer tire on there since who knows how old the Michelins are although they look perfect

Just a heads up, I received a call last Thursday from salesman "Butch" at Tire Rack. My Rossos finally became available. I already had a brand new rear in my garage so I bought the other 3. They have less than a handful left but he told me if any lambo owners need tires just contact him and he will notify when available. He is true to his word, I contacted him several months ago and he called me out of the blue.

I still have practically new Michelin Pilots on my car, but I may just switch out for the sake of having a newer tire on there since who knows how old the Michelins are although they look perfect

Yup, I saw at least 8 became available on their website over the weekend and although the website still shows them available, there are none when you call or place an order. So my car will sit a good while more, which I suppose is good in retaining my low mileage, but bad for any enjoyment. When tires are bought you would think their inventory would update the availability (or lack of). I was all excited when I saw them listed, but now have to return to therapy.

Seems I am still a rookie, learning how things are done. Talked to Tirerack Butch and if you see availability of these on the website it usually means they are available for those that have already ordered months ago and are already spoken for. So now I know better to anticipate tire needs about a couple months out, place the order and hope for the best. Wonder why the stock 18" are so hard to get with all the Lambos around and other exotics that may take that size. Maybe the greater demand is more toward aftermarket 19"+ wheels, although it seems demand is there for the 18" too as shown by unavailability for all those that want them.

1999-2002 Viper guys are all over these tires too.

I have my almost brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport's for sale after replacing them with the Corsa's - where would you advise selling them, Viper form or just fleabay?

I have my almost brand new Michelin Pilot Super Sport's for sale after replacing them with the Corsa's - where would you advise selling them, Viper form or just fleabay?

I'd go on eBay, that's how I sold my PS2.

I got mine installed yesterday. I was told there were approximately 100 pairs on backorder. Crazy how many of us needed tires at the same time.