Replacing Pads & Rotors

goahead

Does anyone have experience personally replacing the pads and/or rotors on their G? The Lambo dealership wants to charge me $3,200 just to replace the 4 brake pads on my 2004 G and another $5,000 to replace my rotors.

So my questions would be:

1. Is replacing the brake pads something that I can do myself, similar in process for a traditional car?
  2. Does anyone have suggestions on good pads to buy that are not ridiculously expensive?
  3. Similar to the questions about the pads, can I replace the rotors myself(or at least hire an experienced mechanic to do it)?
I appreciate any input provided!

First, are you sure you need new brakes? Stock pads can last well over 50k miles in normal driving condition.

Second, you do not need to replace the rotors with pads unless you notice cracks or the rotors are below the min thickness. Most of time, you don't need rotor change until 2-3 sets of pads have been used.

Third, the pads are not hard to change. Pretty normal and you can watch YouTube vids on brembo brake jobs to get an idea. It is not much different than a normal 4 piston brembo brake except you have more pads for the 8 piston setup.

Lastly, the choice of pads have been discussed many timers. Ebc, hawk, and a number of brands are available for about $150 per axle. if your wear sensor light went off, you will need new ones.

Does anyone have experience personally replacing the pads and/or rotors on their G? The Lambo dealership wants to charge me $3,200 just to replace the 4 brake pads on my 2004 G and another $5,000 to replace my rotors.

So my questions would be:

1. Is replacing the brake pads something that I can do myself, similar in process for a traditional car?
  2. Does anyone have suggestions on good pads to buy that are not ridiculously expensive?
  3. Similar to the questions about the pads, can I replace the rotors myself(or at least hire an experienced mechanic to do it)?
I appreciate any input provided!

I have all this in stock new OEM for much less than hitting up the dealer and yes you should be able to do this yourself as long as you have done brakes before on another car and or mechanically knowledgeable.

First, are you sure you need new brakes? Stock pads can last well over 50k miles in normal driving condition.

Second, you do not need to replace the rotors with pads unless you notice cracks or the rotors are below the min thickness. Most of time, you don't need rotor change until 2-3 sets of pads have been used.

Third, the pads are not hard to change. Pretty normal and you can watch YouTube vids on brembo brake jobs to get an idea. It is not much different than a normal 4 piston brembo brake except you have more pads for the 8 piston setup.

Lastly, the choice of pads have been discussed many timers. Ebc, hawk, and a number of brands are available for about $150 per axle. if your wear sensor light went off, you will need new ones.

The dealership said the pads will need replacement in the next year and they said that the rotors also will need to be replaced at the same time because they are also thin. Do you know where to get rotors as well? Would rotors only come in OEM or would there be aftermarket like there are for brake pads?

I have all this in stock new OEM for much less than hitting up the dealer and yes you should be able to do this yourself as long as you have done brakes before on another car and or mechanically knowledgeable.

What are your prices for the pads and rotors for an 04 Gallardo?

The dealership said the pads will need replacement in the next year and they said that the rotors also will need to be replaced at the same time because they are also thin. Do you know where to get rotors as well? Would rotors only come in OEM or would there be aftermarket like there are for brake pads?

What are your prices for the pads and rotors for an 04 Gallardo?

Send me an email over or pm me your email address and will send you a full quote

Glen at AMH offers excellent customer service and very competitive prices.

I bought my CCB replacement pads for my 09 G from Glen. Very pleased with that purchase, and others over the years.

I agree it's a relatively easy DIY as long as you watch some videos or have experience changing pads on other cars. Rotors are a bit more complex and it's not something I would tackle solo but I did rotors on my Cayman R with the help of a friend (he did most of the work but I was learning and helping). Pads are easy.

Remember to handle brake fluid very carefully. It's caustic and you don't want to get it on your hands, or the car (especially not on paint), and hopefully you understand you cannot get air in the system. If you've not done a brake bleed or flush before it's a good idea to watch videos, read up on it and maybe get some help from an experienced friend.

Maybe a mechanic is willing to let you assist so you can learn.

And whatever you do - no shortcuts with safety. Protect your eyes. Even if not working with fluid there are other hazards. Use jackstands and DO NOT rely on a jack to keep the car in the air. Jacks can fail and if you don't have a properly placed jack stand it can be disastrous.

Good luck

• 1 month later...

thanks for the suggestions... do you think I have to replace any sensors? The brake wear sensor goes off occasionally so i'm not sure if I need to replace it once I change the pads?

Also does anyone know of good dustless brake pads and good replacement rotors?

Unless your sensor is triggered, no.

what do you mean "triggered"? As I mentioned previously, sometimes upon startup the dashboard shows a warning for "brake wear" but I'm not sure if that is what you mean