MA carbon steering wheel review

Yufeng

Hello, I'd like to share with you guys my great experience dealing with MA carbon. I recently acquired a 2011 LP570 superleggera and the first thing I wanted to do was to rewrap the steering wheel with some fresh leather. The alcantara on the steering wheel was worn to a point it had become rock hard and glazed. Through my research online and word of mouth on social media, MA carbon seemed like a pretty decent place to send in my steering wheel to get rewrapped. I played with their configurator for a few days going back and fourth on a few designs and finally came up with the one I wanted (shown in attached photos). My main concern as of this point was: 1. how long would I have to go without a steering wheel? 2. there was an $1000 core charge which I didn't think was fair considering I had a wheel with a carbon bottom already on it. With those concerns and my specs in mind, I gave them a call. The gentlemen who answered the phone was named John, who also happened to be the owner of the company. I went ahead and discussed my specs with him and voiced my concerns. He had no problem agreeing that it would be unfair to take in my carbon wheel as the core exchange so we worked that he would send me a donor wheel from a pre LP gallardo that was in great condition and I would send him my original steering wheel. He also informed me that they only shipped to their factory in Belgium every Friday so we had to move quickly if we were to go through with getting the wheel done in the time frame I wanted. Mind you I was talking to John on Tuesday at 4PM so he went ahead and overnighted the donor wheel to me within the next hour so I could swap the wheels and send my wheel back to him the following day. *The steering wheel swap is really easy and totally DIY. All you need is T27 and T55 torx with extensions and a breaker bar, and a 10mm socket or wrench* When I received the donor pre LP wheel it happened to be missing the two bolts that held the air bag in on the back. (pre LP wheels are made by Momo with removable bolts and LP wheels are made by TRW which has integrated bolts) I informed John immediately and he 2 day shipped some bolts to me. Small mistake, didn't bother me at all. On Friday morning when John received the wheel, he informed me that he thought my carbon bottom looked very dull and asked if it was ok to sand it down re clear coat it. I gave him the go ahead and was quoted at $200 to freshen up the carbon bottom. He ended up only charging me half of that. For the whole process to be done, I was told to anticipate about 2 weeks. Turns out it only took 1 week and today I got my wheel back in immaculate condition, far better than I expected, possibly even to a better quality than factory. The feel of the leather, the intricate stitching, and the polished carbon made the $1700 investment totally worth it. Would definitely recommend to go to these guys for a fresh steering wheel.

20160726_215946.jpg

20160726_220013.jpg

• 2 months later...
Hello, I'd like to share with you guys my great experience dealing with MA carbon. I recently acquired a 2011 LP570 superleggera and the first thing I wanted to do was to rewrap the steering wheel with some fresh leather. The alcantara on the steering wheel was worn to a point it had become rock hard and glazed. Through my research online and word of mouth on social media, MA carbon seemed like a pretty decent place to send in my steering wheel to get rewrapped. I played with their configurator for a few days going back and fourth on a few designs and finally came up with the one I wanted (shown in attached photos). My main concern as of this point was: 1. how long would I have to go without a steering wheel? 2. there was an $1000 core charge which I didn't think was fair considering I had a wheel with a carbon bottom already on it. With those concerns and my specs in mind, I gave them a call. The gentlemen who answered the phone was named John, who also happened to be the owner of the company. I went ahead and discussed my specs with him and voiced my concerns. He had no problem agreeing that it would be unfair to take in my carbon wheel as the core exchange so we worked that he would send me a donor wheel from a pre LP gallardo that was in great condition and I would send him my original steering wheel. He also informed me that they only shipped to their factory in Belgium every Friday so we had to move quickly if we were to go through with getting the wheel done in the time frame I wanted. Mind you I was talking to John on Tuesday at 4PM so he went ahead and overnighted the donor wheel to me within the next hour so I could swap the wheels and send my wheel back to him the following day. *The steering wheel swap is really easy and totally DIY. All you need is T27 and T55 torx with extensions and a breaker bar, and a 10mm socket or wrench* When I received the donor pre LP wheel it happened to be missing the two bolts that held the air bag in on the back. (pre LP wheels are made by Momo with removable bolts and LP wheels are made by TRW which has integrated bolts) I informed John immediately and he 2 day shipped some bolts to me. Small mistake, didn't bother me at all. On Friday morning when John received the wheel, he informed me that he thought my carbon bottom looked very dull and asked if it was ok to sand it down re clear coat it. I gave him the go ahead and was quoted at $200 to freshen up the carbon bottom. He ended up only charging me half of that. For the whole process to be done, I was told to anticipate about 2 weeks. Turns out it only took 1 week and today I got my wheel back in immaculate condition, far better than I expected, possibly even to a better quality than factory. The feel of the leather, the intricate stitching, and the polished carbon made the $1700 investment totally worth it. Would definitely recommend to go to these guys for a fresh steering wheel.

You call $1700 redo a totally worth it investment?????

On a steering wheel?

......ah, I must be on a different planet or sumfin.

You call $1700 redo a totally worth it investment?????

On a steering wheel?

......ah, I must be on a different planet or sumfin.

It was obviously worth while to him, I actually think that's very good value, I've seen them going for a much higher rate than that, also you obviously haven't read the options list for a Lambo, some of their asking prices make sumfin like the refurbed steering wheel look like the bargain of the century.

It was obviously worth while to him, I actually think that's very good value, I've seen them going for a much higher rate than that, also you obviously haven't read the options list for a Lambo, some of their asking prices make sumfin like the refurbed steering wheel look like the bargain of the century.

Yea I have seen some of the retail prices and you could buy a cheap car for the price of some of them.

Guess its all relative eh, just look at the cost of a full carbon kit.

Yea I have seen some of the retail prices and you could buy a cheap car for the price of some of them.

Guess its all relative eh, just look at the cost of a full carbon kit.

It's called Lambo tax :icon_mrgreen:

I've paid over $6k for the reverse camera option for my Huracan which is possibly the worse camera I've ever experienced in any car I've ever owned, fair enough charge $6k but if you do give me a proper HD camera not something akin to a boiled potato.

I wanted to upgrade my steering wheel as well but then I thought, I bought my 04 civic for $1500, how can I pay $1700 for a freakin steering wheel. Once I slapped myself a few times for even THINKING about spending $1700 on the steering wheel I used my money elsewhere

It's called Lambo tax :icon_mrgreen:

I've paid over $6k for the reverse camera option for my Huracan which is possibly the worse camera I've ever experienced in any car I've ever owned, fair enough charge $6k but if you do give me a proper HD camera not something akin to a boiled potato.

I agree Fortis on the crap rear camera on the lambos.

I cant understand why Audi don't install in Lambos even the rear camera on my 2009 Audi RS6. Its heaps better!!

I can only surmise that the lambo factory has a bin of rear cameras that they are trying to offload!!

Pretty shabby treatment of owners, in this detail , IMHO.

cheers,

john