Countach front lower control arm bush

Georgev12

If you are rebuilding the front end of the Countach and want to replace the 5109529 bush/insert, I would not use the new 5109529 that you get from the factory.

See the pics. 3rd one shows size of the bolt OD, next the old type bush ID. As you can see there is around .0015-.002 difference. Pic 1 and 2 show new bush and old bush. The new 5109529 is around .010 larger on the ID. This would allow the suspension to change camber, toe and caster, as you drive the car.

I do not think this is good for a car that can reach speeds in the 150 +++ range.

ID of original bush is right at .665, ID of new bush right at .676.

Just food for thought.

Georgev12

DSC_0021.JPG

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Maybe they assume that you would replace the bolts with the bushings? Did you measure any new factory bolts to see if they were ten thou thicker also? Just a thought. Either way not great having two different specs with the same part #.

Maybe they assume that you would replace the bolts with the bushings? Did you measure any new factory bolts to see if they were ten thou thicker also? Just a thought. Either way not great having two different specs with the same part #.

Thanks for getting me to think everything out first.

There is NO way you can use a larger bolt, as the hole in the frame is a very tight fit. Like maybe .0015. Any movement there and your lower control arm would be able to move, not good.

GeorgeV12

Unless you have the blue print for the part showing tolerances...this is meaning less...Does anyone think that the old part is somehow better ?

Paul

Unless you have the blue print for the part showing tolerances...this is meaning less...Does anyone think that the old part is somehow better ?

Paul

Meaningless is ONE word.

And you have built many many Countach cars, and have replaced the suspension parts on them and have built and raced many many cars over your life time.

GeorgeV12

Say chad,

That’s a nice (digital) micro-meter…and you are getting (way) ahead of yourself.

I am currently racing my Chevron B36 in Euro vintage racing…and I have owned quite a few Lamborghinis.

I build all of my own motors and do my own suspension set-ups

I was under the impression that you were a bond broker…or so you claimed…15 years ago ?

And how is your 200 MPH...or was it 300 MPH Jaguar doing ? :eusa_think:

Always mind-ful

Paul

Excuse me for add a side comment/question here,

are these bushes the same as the ones in the rear suspension? I do have some clunking noises in the rear suspension, bushes might be old...any suggestions?

If you are rebuilding the front end of the Countach and want to replace the 5109529 bush/insert, I would not use the new 5109529 that you get from the factory.

See the pics. 3rd one shows size of the bolt OD, next the old type bush ID. As you can see there is around .0015-.002 difference. Pic 1 and 2 show new bush and old bush. The new 5109529 is around .010 larger on the ID. This would allow the suspension to change camber, toe and caster, as you drive the car.

I do not think this is good for a car that can reach speeds in the 150 +++ range.

ID of original bush is right at .665, ID of new bush right at .676.

Just food for thought.

Georgev12

You're splitting hairs here, the dimensional change is all but meaningless. Measure out with your calipers just what 0.010 mounts to. I guarantee your caster/camber/toe isn't calibrated that exactly. Further, things like toe change throughout the suspension cycle and it's a hell of a lot more than ten-thou.

Last point, when you tighten the control arm bolt it squeezes the center of the bearing against the frame tabs and prevents it from moving at all. So long as this bolt is tight your alignment will not change (even the insignificant amount you're analyzing). Most cars (even very high end sports cars) have rubber control arm bushings that will produce significantly more flex than what you are measuring here.

These aren't motor bearings, just put it together and go drive the car. :icon_thumleft:

Excuse me for add a side comment/question here,

are these bushes the same as the ones in the rear suspension? I do have some clunking noises in the rear suspension, bushes might be old...any suggestions?

Not the same part.

• 2 weeks later...

You're splitting hairs here, the dimensional change is all but meaningless. Measure out with your calipers just what 0.010 mounts to.

As Mr. chad found out on ferrari chat, it is an Alfa part from the 1975-1980 period (an expert from Finland) pointed this out ! Lambo is not going to make a new part for a ten thou dimensional variant...and as Emanon pointed out it is not necessary...so why worry :icon_mrgreen:

Paul