The Official 2016-2017 NFL Thread

Smash Boy

I didn't watch the 9ers vs Rams, Blaine Gabbert was an above average college QB but far from an all time great, but if he can lead a team to 28-0 victory, are the 9ers good or are the Rams just that bad? Looking at the #s it doesn't look like Gabbert lit up the Rams compared to the numbers from a lot of other QBs this past weekend, but he managed to not give the ball away either. Not trying to dump on your team, just curious what you think.

I think the Rams really hurt themselves with penalties. Rams played pretty bad, but 9ers defense was also good. Rams couldn't run, throw, convert, etc.

Wouldn't call him a great QB, but he's very athletic, and I like him. I don't think he's the worst, but not the best. They have a very tough schedule, so we will see.

Also, coaching from Kelly as been good. They ran a lot of good plays imo, I like Chip Kelly so far.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gabbert has to be decent not great for this Kelly offense to work. Remember there's a zone read portion to it, and so far in the NFL Kelly has had to work with guys like Nick Foles, Mark Sanchez, Sam Bradford who do not intimidate defenses in that manner.

He has the OL, the running game and the TEs. What he doesn't have are WRs that can beat man coverage with consistency except maybe Torrey Smith, and he's more of a deep threat type guy. And he'll need to relax more and not be as timid in the pocket, with the Jaguar demons still there on some level.

Gabbert like Alex Smith before him is/was dealing with QB PTSD, and maybe for him he's gotten his fresh start soon enough where his college potential (whatever that is) can be realized.

I say this all the time with QBs.....but I truly think that 90% of QBs in the NFL are more dependent on the team/situation they come into than they are able to become great in any situation. This is not like drafting Lebron James and getting guaranteed results.

The game is too complicated, challenging and unforgiving to bring in guys fresh and expect them to produce at a high level out of college. Maybe someone like Peyton Manning is super celebral and could do it, but most cannot. Or a generational arm talent like Dan Marino or John Elway. These three all started as rookies, and were able to (will be) become Hall of Fame.

The way to develop NFL QBs ideally is to baby them along...either sit them or put them on a pitch count. It helps if you have a nice running game and defense....cough, cough, Russell Wilson. :icon_thumleft:

Let's review some QBs:

1) Joe Montana - became starter halfway in Year 2 (Steve DeBerg sucked)

2) Tom Brady - became starter halfway in Year 2 (Drew Bledsoe injured)

3) Aaron Rodgers - became starter in Year 4 (Favre never wanted to retire)

4) Steve Young - after being traded to SF, starter 5 Years later (backup to Montana until huge injury)

5) Brett Favre - after being traded to GB following rookie season, starter halfway in year 2 (Majikowski not as effective)

These are the all time greats, so naturally you would expect more cushion for the merely decent.

Your Eli Mannings, Roethlisbergers, Philip Rivers, Tony Romos.....look at them back in say 2006, and look at them now. Huge difference.

Maybe Jared Goff is truly not ready or maybe a bust.....but this could be a blessing in disguise for the Rams if they can manage to keep him shielded. As bad as this 28-0 loss was for Keenum, it would have been a lot worse for a rookie.

I think the Rams really hurt themselves with penalties. Rams played pretty bad, but 9ers defense was also good. Rams couldn't run, throw, convert, etc.

Wouldn't call him a great QB, but he's very athletic, and I like him. I don't think he's the worst, but not the best. They have a very tough schedule, so we will see.

Also, coaching from Kelly as been good. They ran a lot of good plays imo, I like Chip Kelly so far.

I think that is a fair assessment based on some of the talking heads I have heard discuss the game. I think it is easier to bash the Rams as being terrible vs. giving the 9ers defense any credit for the trouble the Rams had.

I think Gabbert and Alex Smith are very similar in the sense that they will never put up Aaron Rogers or Cam Newton numbers, but they are athletic enough to keep a defense honest and you can count on them being smart enough to not take you out of the game with 3-4 turnovers a game. I forget the exact numbers, but last year Smith had a crazy long stretch of passes without an INT, not giving your opponent extra possessions, short fields, and keeping your DEF off the field to rest is half the battle right there.

I think that is a fair assessment based on some of the talking heads I have heard discuss the game. I think it is easier to bash the Rams as being terrible vs. giving the 9ers defense any credit for the trouble the Rams had.

I think Gabbert and Alex Smith are very similar in the sense that they will never put up Aaron Rogers or Cam Newton numbers, but they are athletic enough to keep a defense honest and you can count on them being smart enough to not take you out of the game with 3-4 turnovers a game. I forget the exact numbers, but last year Smith had a crazy long stretch of passes without an INT, not giving your opponent extra possessions, short fields, and keeping your DEF off the field to rest is half the battle right there.

Yup. Just like Felippe mentioned, you don't always need a STUD QB, you just need a good QB that does his job in a good system. I mean, even Peyton got a ring at the bottom of his career, just saying!

9ers defense did look good though :D ! However, stops won't matter if you can't score on drives. Gabbert is MUCH better than Kap though, at least GAB can throw an accurate spiral :icon_mrgreen:

If the 9ers can beat CAR next week, then my 9ers to the Super Bowl rhetoric will increase in this thread :D .

Yup. Just like Felippe mentioned, you don't always need a STUD QB, you just need a good QB that does his job in a good system. I mean, even Peyton got a ring at the bottom of his career, just saying!

9ers defense did look good though :D ! However, stops won't matter if you can't score on drives. Gabbert is MUCH better than Kap though, at least GAB can throw an accurate spiral :icon_mrgreen:

If the 9ers can beat CAR next week, then my 9ers to the Super Bowl rhetoric will increase in this thread :D .

The Panther's almost looked scared against the Donkeys, that isn't the team that looked unbeatable up until the Superbowl, they almost started where they left off last year.

I am glad to see the NFL stepped in and handed out some fines for illegal hits, doesn't do anything after the fact, but the Broncos DEF pushes the boundaries until flags start flying. Last season in their first matchup with the Chiefs they took several late hit penalties in the 1st QTR against Alex Smith just trying to get some hard hits on him. I am surprised no O-line has retaliated against Miller and Marshall with a cut block trying to warn them off of cheap shots on the QB, or least the opposing DEF take some late hits on Siemian as revenge for their own QBs. It wasn't possible to put hits on Peyton last year because he would self sack anytime someone got within 15 feet of him.

The Panther's almost looked scared against the Donkeys, that isn't the team that looked unbeatable up until the Superbowl, they almost started where they left off last year.

I am glad to see the NFL stepped in and handed out some fines for illegal hits, doesn't do anything after the fact, but the Broncos DEF pushes the boundaries until flags start flying. Last season in their first matchup with the Chiefs they took several late hit penalties in the 1st QTR against Alex Smith just trying to get some hard hits on him. I am surprised no O-line has retaliated against Miller and Marshall with a cut block trying to warn them off of cheap shots on the QB, or least the opposing DEF take some late hits on Siemian as revenge for their own QBs. It wasn't possible to put hits on Peyton last year because he would self sack anytime someone got within 15 feet of him.

LMAO @ Peyton and his self-sacking.....

Yeah, good points on cut blocking. It's a way of policing as needed...

The NFL pisses me off btw with how they selectively protect QBs. You either protect all 32 or you let them walk the plank and get killed like its 1985.

I'm not all about that Tom Brady hate compared to most people, but he might be the most protected specimen in the entire league.....and certainly the dual threat QBs are treated like RBs literally. Pisses me off.

If they won the next two road games, I don't see how you don't immediately call them playoff contenders. However, I never like to get ahead of myself on these things, lol.

BTW, word on the street is that Chip Kelly likes Kap enough not to let the GM trade him away/release him. Whether you want to buy into the rumor mill and bleacher report is one thing, but Kelly's actions around Gabbert remind me a bit of Harbaugh and Smith the season the switch was made.

I read somewhere that no Eagle QB has played an entire 16 game NFL season under him. Pretty crazy stat.

If they won the next two road games, I don't see how you don't immediately call them playoff contenders. However, I never like to get ahead of myself on these things, lol.

BTW, word on the street is that Chip Kelly likes Kap enough not to let the GM trade him away/release him. Whether you want to buy into the rumor mill and bleacher report is one thing, but Kelly's actions around Gabbert remind me a bit of Harbaugh and Smith the season the switch was made.

I read somewhere that no Eagle QB has played an entire 16 game NFL season under him. Pretty crazy stat.

I believe it. How crazy is it to have both of those QBs on your team? There is potential in Kap, it's just up to him to live up to it. IMO these young kids get caught up in too many distractions. They need to focus on their job. Now, if Kap want's to be loyal to the 9ers, that's a different story. I mean, I did call KD to the Warriors, soooo :D

Imagine if one game Gabbert isn't doing so hot, then they have the option to call in Kap? Sounds good to me!

Alex Smith was our piece of crap QB, he should have played in that Super Bowl. Makes me sad. Oh well.

I'm a 9ers fan. Of course :)

Yup. No good WRs.

Before Harbaugh left, the Niners had a great record against the Cardinals. 10-2 since 2009 (right after Kurt Warner retired), including a sweep over Bruce Arians' team in 2013.

Their record against the Rams has been strong too.

Just gotta get over that pesky team in Alaska. :icon_mrgreen:

Before Harbaugh left, the Niners had a great record against the Cardinals. 10-2 since 2009 (right after Kurt Warner retired), including a sweep over Bruce Arians' team in 2013.

Their record against the Rams has been strong too.

Just gotta get over that pesky team in Alaska. :icon_mrgreen:

Well, they did a lot better against CAR than AZ did :D . Tough schedule, so if they can get a playoff spot this season with the circumstances, they will make a good run. They are short on the WRs like you said though. Defense looks good though. And I don't doubt for a bit they won't beat SEA. SEA looks terrible.

I catch a lot of crap for being a Tom Brady fan. Truthfully, I don't see a lot of players that play with the same passion as him. That, being the last draft pick, and also from the bay area make me a fan. He plays with passion, never gives up!

• 2 weeks later...

The Seahawk loss put the Niners in a worse light than I imagined. Anytime you let a struggling division rival look so good in all 3 phases, it's eye opening.

They played competitive with Dallas at home, but missing pieces on D was gonna get them.

That s**** unnecessary roughness call and a few others helped the Boys out plenty. But good teams should be able to overcome that.

That interception Gabbert threw was terrible.....should have been a TD, and anthem kneeler makes that throw, or at least not a pick.

A lost season.....only hope to see some progress on offense. This team will get better with defensive talent added....that part I trust.

It's all football karma IMO: You'd never think this was a team that had a 20 year run of HoF QBing and WRs.... :icon_mrgreen:

LOL. So true. It's the new ownership man. Jed York sucks.

Well. At least this helps me focus on basketball. Can't wait for the Warriors season !

On a side note at least the Raiders are doing good. So not all is lost for the bay area.

LOL. So true. It's the new ownership man. Jed York sucks.

Well. At least this helps me focus on basketball. Can't wait for the Warriors season !

On a side note at least the Raiders are doing good. So not all is lost for the bay area.

Yeah they are looking good. I always said the NFL needs a good Raiders team.

Also, the Vikings look for real.

At what point are they considered the best team in the NFC if they aren't already?

Yeah they are looking good. I always said the NFL needs a good Raiders team.

Also, the Vikings look for real.

At what point are they considered the best team in the NFC if they aren't already?

So long as Bradford can stay healthy (knocks on wood) I see them as the top. Their run game is arguably better now with AP out and that defense is fast and young.

I still think the Cardinals are the benchmark for the NFC. If Palmer does what he did last year and stays healthy they are a legit SB contender.

So long as Bradford can stay healthy (knocks on wood) I see them as the top. Their run game is arguably better now with AP out and that defense is fast and young.

I still think the Cardinals are the benchmark for the NFC. If Palmer does what he did last year and stays healthy they are a legit SB contender.

Have you been watching Cardinal games this year? Something is off.

Now, the season isn't over and they could change it around but 1-3 is not ideal start, esp. with who they lost to (backup QB Patriots at home, Buffalo). Palmer got knocked out in the Rams game this weekend, not sure how long he is out for.

Definitely need that Vikings/Seahawks playoff game rematch.

• 1 month later...
How about those Raiders? They look really good. Surprisingly, Seattle didn't. Really like the Raiders though, I might put a wager down for them...

Time flies!

DEN/OAK tonight. I can see OAK having an offensive field day today. Statistically, OAK is due for a loss, but you never know...

9ers are going 1-7 LOL. :(

Sell the team Jed!

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a Thanksgiving bump!!

Lions & Cowboys games probably the best hyped early Thanksgiving games in years.....both should be great divisional games.

NFC East looks to be a strong division again. It could maybe send the only wildcard teams this year at the pace they are going....

AFC West you could say the same too. I like seeing a strong Oakland and Kansas City pairing to offset Denver.

That's the big change this year. Of course Minnesota if they can fix their offense can be dangerous too.

A bit unpredictable but it seems like the big legacy teams (Pittsburgh, Green Bay) are on a down year opening up room for others.

Season is over on New Year's Day...crazy how fast it went!