You need a new $4k mirror. LIES!!!!!!

gmendoza

Great guidance.... my Lambo dealer broke my motor and the glass too... SV right side...

Motor doesn't work now, and i got a US glass on my EU car... trust your lamb dealer... PS: he managed to scratch the black paint too...

That sucks! Exactly why I hate taking my cars in to anyone. I am now almost compelled to say "I will pay you more if you take extra care and don't screw up my car". Sure there are unexpected accidents, but most things I have seen are just sloppy work & negligence. My dad was a meticulous hands on mechanic for his cars and he always said "why pay someone to F up your car when you can F it up yourself". So I try and do what I can myself for simple logical things, although that can be risky too being a rookie. This gear thing with door panel removal etc may be beyond my capabilities, I didn't decide yet.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sucks! Exactly why I hate taking my cars in to anyone. I am now almost compelled to say "I will pay you more if you take extra care and don't screw up my car". Sure there are unexpected accidents, but most things I have seen are just sloppy work & negligence. My dad was a meticulous hands on mechanic for his cars and he always said "why pay someone to F up your car when you can F it up yourself". So I try and do what I can myself for simple logical things, although that can be risky too being a rookie. This gear thing with door panel removal etc may be beyond my capabilities, I didn't decide yet.

Give it a go I just followed the guidelines and they were spot on.

John

OK fellas, so as I reported last week my drivers side was only a wiring fault but the passenger side is a motor burn out. The plastic gear is OK but I have ordered both the new gears and a new motor. I have to say that motor look very like the one I had in my Meccano set when I was a kid.

Also ordered the recommended small pulley extractor from Amazon after reading that shaft of the new motor is a little short and you have to rework the old one.

I let you know how it goes

John

OK fellas, so as I reported last week my drivers side was only a wiring fault but the passenger side is a motor burn out. The plastic gear is OK but I have ordered both the new gears and a new motor. I have to say that motor look very like the one I had in my Meccano set when I was a kid.

Also ordered the recommended small pulley extractor from Amazon after reading that shaft of the new motor is a little short and you have to rework the old one.

I let you know how it goes

John

Where did you order motor from? Can it be bought by itself from Lamborghini?

See thread above. Its an aftermarket part from Gruven

Thanks didn't realize they sold the motor also. Can you link the small pulley extractor on amazon?

Thanks didn't realize they sold the motor also. Can you link the small pulley extractor on amazon?

Its listed ion the Gruven parts web site but search for Walkera W010 Gear Pinion Puller

Confirmed, LP670 mirror is the same. Repaired Plastique999's mirror. This particular one was stuck in the folded in position.

The culprit, cracked down the middle:

DE883AA4-64BB-43A7-B577-49199957AD02_zps

Here's the updated brass gear:

DFA42AD6-432E-4282-A451-0D480F144F18_zps

The brass gear works much better than the old 3D printed plastic one.

I think he meant the tiny electric motor that makes the magic inside the motor assembly happen.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow fellas, that is not as easy a job as I thought. The dimensions of the shaft and worm gear have to be spit on as soon as you begin to assemble the motor the parts cause it to seize of as you clamp them up. I had to adjust the worm gear several times as it was biting top and then at the bottom. I also reduced the overall length from the recommended 19mm to 18.5mm. Its also difficult to remove the worm gear from the old shaft even with a puller. I hope Gruven begin of offer an exchange service as it would be a great service to go for. In any case both are working well.

John

• 1 month later...
Im trying this as we speak. Hope it goes well.

Let us know how it goes. I just did another one too. No issues although you need to be careful that the brass gear stays square with the shaft as the epoxy dries. If not, it will bind.

do you know which color wires connect to the blue and gray wire coming off the motor. i should have taken pics, but i didn't.

do you know which color wires connect to the blue and gray wire coming off the motor. i should have taken pics, but i didn't.

Its different left to right. Green to blue and gray to red on the passenger side.

Its different left to right. Green to blue and gray to red on the passenger side.

Thank you

Also, when reattaching the mirror to the door, make sure the 3 bolts dont cut through the paint. If they do and you installed the brass gears, there's a possibility of the motors shorting out blowing your fuse. If it does, just install plastic washers on the 3 bolts.

That's the downside of all metal gears. When the polarity gets reversed to turn the motor in the reverse direction, voltage travels from the motor to the gears to the frame causing it to short. No big deal if properly insulated.

Also, when reattaching the mirror to the door, make sure the 3 bolts dont cut through the paint. If they do and you installed the brass gears, there's a possibility of the motors shorting out blowing your fuse. If it does, just install plastic washers on the 3 bolts.

That's the downside of all metal gears. When the polarity gets reversed to turn the motor in the reverse direction, voltage travels from the motor to the gears to the frame causing it to short. No big deal if properly insulated.

good to know. i am having issues with the gear binding up. i have it as square as possible. I have had to knock it out and start over 3 times.. luckly i purchased 4 gears. haha. There are a lot of little nuances to this. If anyone tries it, make sure you take pics of absolutely everything as you take it apart. it really helps when putting it back together. I think I am a pro now. I have had the entire mirror and motor assembly apart about 6 times now.

Did you replace the electric motor too? I've done a few gear replacements and I haven't had any binding issues.

Is the tiny metal washer still on the very end of the electric motor after the rubber o-ring?

Also, if you remove the electric motor, install the shaft with the new gear onto the base and spin it. Does the brass gear wobble? If so, that may be your issues. It needs to be perfect.

Did you replace the electric motor too? I've done a few gear replacements and I haven't had any binding issues.

Is the tiny metal washer still on the very end of the electric motor after the rubber o-ring?

Also, if you remove the electric motor, install the shaft with the new gear onto the base and spin it. Does the brass gear wobble? If so, that may be your issues. It needs to be perfect.

I replace the electric motor as well. i think there is something in the assembly binding up. probably why the gear broke in the first place.

• 2 months later...

Since photobucket wont allow linking, I rehosted the pics:

To remove the mirror:

Pop off the panel exposing the bolts & the panel exposing the connector. (borrowed the pic from the web)

b2fd0d3386_1024_zpslrrnthry%20(1).JPG

Undo the connector, fish the mirror wires through the slot in the door panel. Unfortunately, the door panel on this car pinched the wires, so I had to loosen the door panel. Here are good instruction on door panel removal.

http://www.safeer.us/how-to-fix-diy-lambor...comment-page-1/

Remove the 3 bolts holding the mirror on, fish the wires through the door, and remove the mirror.

Separate the two mirror pieces:

The remove the center bolt and remove the round beauty cover exposing the four bolts on the bottom of the mirror. Remove the four bolts

IMG_3091_zps2zujlno8.JPG

Separate the two mirror pieces by wiggling the fixed triangle piece away from the mirror housing. The two pieces are held together by the four bolts removed in the previous step and a post that rides on a socket on the fixed triangle piece.

Mirror housing post:

IMG_3089_zps2aafez32.JPG

Triangle piece socket:

IMG_3088_zpsbtla7tym.JPG

To disassemble the mirror housing:

Pop off the mirror glass and disconnect the heater wires off the mirror glass. The glass snaps in place with the tabs circled in red.

IMG_3087_zpsteuebgwm.JPG

CAUTION: As you can see, the glass has no reinforcement and you will have the pry the glass off. So there's a high chance of breaking the glass. I used a small hook to lift the tabs as I pried the glass off. Lambo has revised the glass and now the glass is completely backed by plastic giving the glass much more support. New glass is about $120 from Glen @ AMH.

Remove the six bolts. Take care not to lose (or forget during assembly) the plastic shield circled in yellow:

IMG_3086_zpsqqt6d8dh.JPG

remove the lone bolt circled:

IMG_3084_zpsrsj0wohd.JPG

remove the motor assembly from the housing taking care not to damage the paint

IMG_3082_zpsfnq530ot.JPG

IMG_3081_zpskmtlx741.JPG

IMG_3080_zpscsob1xla.JPG

To remove the motor from the housing:

Remove the three socket head bolts (there are nuts on the other side of the bolts):

IMG_3079_zps4kgzaw1j.JPG

Undo the mirror adjuster connector and fish the wires out. You may have to loosen the bolts circled to make room to fish the connector out (there are three).

IMG_30801_zpsx3mteauc.JPG

Lift the motor out the housing

IMG_3078_zps6xz78nhh%202.JPG

Here's the motor:

IMG_3076_zpsdoxq6gld.JPG

Now you have two options. One is to replace the motor with one off ebay. Unfortunately I could not find a source for a new motor only. Pros of this option is that it fits & works perfect. Con is you still have the same crappy plastic gear that will break sooner or later. If you decide to replace it, just match it to the pic above. Left or right doesn't matter.

The other option is to take your motor apart and replace the gear. I found a company that 3D prints replacement gears. You can buy the gears here:

http://www.gruvenparts.com/gruvenparts-com...irror-assembly/

Instructions to replace the gear are here (go to step 8 on page 13 for our application)

http://www.gruvenparts.com/content/PDF/Gru..._Mirror_DIY.pdf

Even though the instructions say "You Must Use the GruvenParts.com replacement motors when using this brass gear", you can get away with using your original electric motor if you use plastic washers on the 3 bolts securing the mirror to the door.

Pros of going with this option are that its a much stronger gear that will probably never break. If they do, they replace it.

Now, all is not perfect in the world and I hope Gruven can improve on this. The resolution of the print is not very high. So I had to use a small file to clean out some flash from between the teeth to prevent the motor from jamming. I also had to sand the face of the gear smooth to get rid of flash to also prevent jamming.

Overall, I was still satisfied with the gear and would recommend it as long as you pay attention to detail.

Reassemble in the reverse order and there you have it. Feel free to PayPal me a small percentage of your savings as a token of appreciation. lol

Confirmed, LP670 mirror is the same. Repaired Plastique999's mirror. This particular one was stuck in the folded in position.

The culprit, cracked down the middle:

DE883AA4-64BB-43A7-B577-49199957AD02_zps

Here's the updated brass gear:

DFA42AD6-432E-4282-A451-0D480F144F18_zps

The brass gear works much better than the old 3D printed plastic one.

Was there any updates with the plastic gearing?

I'm not sure the plastic gears are still available.

• 2 months later...
good to know. i am having issues with the gear binding up. i have it as square as possible. I have had to knock it out and start over 3 times.. luckly i purchased 4 gears. haha. There are a lot of little nuances to this. If anyone tries it, make sure you take pics of absolutely everything as you take it apart. it really helps when putting it back together. I think I am a pro now. I have had the entire mirror and motor assembly apart about 6 times now.

I had some struggles with 2010 LP640 / LP670-4 SV mirrors.

Damn these motors!

Initial thing, Lambo dealer said "oh, they are dead", so I got them home, took the mirrors apart, ordered GruvenParts stuff and it had arrived.. not that quick, lol. So the mirror adjustment is VW and p/n is visible and cheap.

Took apart the folding motors, actually, the electric motors on 2010 come with brass spur gear unlike Escalade. How come, the motors worked fine and all plastic gears were good!!! I thought, well, okay, whatever! Cracked the gears and glued the brass ones. Actually, it was hard to break those plastic gears, they were really really tough! I almost felt sorry for them.

So one gear went perfect (I used a 4mm socket to hold the shaft and gear straight), the upgraded motors were good. I didn't grind the notches that GruvenParts DIY manual recommends you to cut, as I noticed they are different to Escalade motors and may be helpful (Murcie mirrors have a smaller degree of rotation when folded). Interested to hear your opinion.

The other motor went totally fcked up. Assembled - didn't work, however, did work if without the top steel cover. Reglued brass gear perfectly straight - still not good. I had grinded some of the shaft length of the electric motor, the new one was too long if compared with stock. Okay, I noticed that the intermediate shaft moves along and stuffed 2 very small washers on the spur gear side of the intermediate shaft. It worked out, but motor was struggling to move. So I ditched 1 washer and it was happy! Horray! So maybe it was the case why they didn't work well out of the box (i.e. factory mirrors).

Somehow, both are good now. Had to re-assemble it 7 or 8 times, pro level.

Thanks for the tips on motors shorting on the mirror base, I'll check it.

p.s. Found this thread only few days ago, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

And so, I've done it. After many many tries and failures, I've found the issue was within the motor. When the motor was unscrewing itself when hitting limit at one side, that produced upwards motion of the rotor, so the brushes went down touching the armature and then they wouldn't conduct electric force. Sooo I cleaned up the motor collector, stacked a small shim to limit the upwards travel as a precaution and bended the brush contacts a little upwards. It worked out finally.

I got it apart and back like 15 times, so be sure now I'm close to god level in these poor motors.