Perhaps the dumbest Porsche I've ever seen.

abolfaz

There are several clubs that will not allow a single seat car to participate - even in advanced solo groups. I won't bother going into the reasoning, but if you convert a car to single seat you'll somewhat limit the groups you can run with. This is not a huge factor but something to consider.

Interesting....wonder if the clubs feel it is a significant advantage with this modification?

LotusCupUSA did not penalize the Exige single seater, though this is more club racing.

I wonder if SCCA would class them differently.

Interesting....wonder if the clubs feel it is a significant advantage with this modification?

LotusCupUSA did not penalize the Exige single seater, though this is more club racing.

I wonder if SCCA would class them differently.

I'm referring to DE clubs (sorry for not being clear). I think it has more to do with DE being Drivers Ed events and for insurance purposes they are required to state several times that we are not racing, this is driver ed, etc. If a car has a single seat - even with a solo driver - there is no chance of a ride-along. If someone is deemed not safe to be solo, there's no way for the club to give a "check-out" ride other than lead/follow which wouldn't be very effective. In DE events (in theory) everyone is subject to a check out ride and especially if you are doing dumb stuff, there might be an education opportunity (and then again - maybe you get ejected).

We had a guy with a lot of resources who got into track driving with a new 991GT3RS last year. He drove one season and then bought a 991 cup car. He had the cup car configured with only one seat.

This is a guy who is fearless, generally disrespectful of rules and can be dangerous in a lot of situations. He was burning through brake pads like crazy on the RS because the car was constantly saving his ass. You could hear the systems engage as he drove around the track if conditions were just right. This is a case where the car is so good it allows someone to think they have a lot more skill than they actually have. He was not keen on instruction and probably got signed off solo because no one wanted to ride with him (which is a bad reason to solo someone, but it happens).

Frankly - his opting for a single seat car gave the club a legit reason to refuse his registration. He tried, even knowing the rules, but was turned away. There are plenty of clubs he can run with that aren't DE (like David Murry) where he'll get open track time with solo-only drivers.

For club racers and for clubs whose events do not revolve around driver education I don't think it matters how many seats. Most race cars I've seen have only one seat (why would you want the weight of a second seat unless it's a rally type race car?)

It could have popemobile style single rear seat, rised on top of the engine bay.

I mean if you ruin a car to make it ridiculous. Why not to make it as ridiculous as possible?

• 2 weeks later...
I will say that for track use it makes sense.

There was a friend of mine that converted his Exige to center seat. There are also a couple of 211's that converted to center seat.

Aside from the lack of cage or rollbar...

Whats that behind the seat? Looks like a rollbar, accept its way to low.

Harness bar.

Harness bar.

A lot of tracks won't even let you run a harness bar these days. Street, sure. But especially on a Cab, most sanctioning bodies would say "NOPE."

• 1 month later...