Titanium Intake for the Murcielago

whiteout

A little update on this.

Deleting the air boxes in exchange for cone air filters makes zero difference on the dyno because of heat soak. However, it greatly increases the Murci's power at speed because while the car is in motion, the heat from the engine is not being sucked in from intake. . . and the factory air boxes are restrictive for the coupe and incredibly restrictive for the roadster. By deleting the air boxes, I was able to use silicone hoses to keep costs down and have a stock appearance when the carbon engine bay panels are installed. So for those of you who want more power, more responsive throttle and look stock to the untrained eye, here is your answer.

5DAF66EA-829B-453F-B206-9D3EBCCA318D_zps

2870A2FC-60D2-44CC-B543-C20B54B6FE68_zps

Here's the airbox delete on my car:

5040F2AA-AFB4-43F3-99AE-7488CF229672_zps

D18AE6EF-8FED-4F2C-BBA7-22B24F78359C_zps

Compared with stock:

18DA4D57-428F-465D-BCE9-FDBEA5EA7C7C_zps

what is it for and where do you put the catch can, why only one if it attaches to the air box?

How much BTW?

what is it for and where do you put the catch can, why only one if it attaches to the air box?

How much BTW?

The catch can is for the factory PCV hose which is attached to the left side air box. It sits near the oil fill tube behind the carbon panel.

Price is $880.

• 4 months later...

A little update on the intake. Last week I tested the intake on a dyno and was able to get some before/after information.

The dyno was inside a wind tunnel which is capable of replicating 80mph ground speed. The car spun the dyno to 150mph, so while this isn't perfect, it's much closer than with stagnant air like most dyno's have. We also hooked up a computer to the OBDII and a stand alone o2 sensor at the exhaust tip to gather more information from the car. What we found is the car runs RICH with a factory tune and the ECU just keeps adding timing as the revs go up. All Murci's have a dip towards the top of the power band and I always thought it was the car pulling timing on the dyno, but, in-fact, the car is dumping fuel. I think this dip is not as noticeable on the road as the car is being fed more air, but none-the-less it explains why the Murci will kill the primary cats and shoot massive fireballs.

3FFC5F2F-D9F3-4303-915D-78CA14E6183F_zps

Peak power gains are only about 4 wheel horsepower and 12 wheel torque, but the mid-range power is consistently more with bumps of 20 wheel horsepower and torque, which explains why the car feels so much faster, but wasn't impressive on the peak power comparisons. This was with the coupe, so the roadster should expect greater gains.

This comparison is a stock intake with BMC filters vs. RP intake with K&N cone filters. Cars running OEM air filters should expect greater gains.

8C15B7B1-AD08-4882-A406-BCCFEFE6734F_zps

4BE7FE5C-8808-4501-A8A8-011744DFBA7D_zps

I put the stock intake on my car for the two hour drive up to the dyno and the car felt strangled. Maybe because I'm used to the intake being on my car, but it really felt hindered driving compared to the intake. I frequently dropped to 5th gear to accelerate vs. leaving it in 6th. I have changed my description of throttle response being "much better" to "immediate". The intake noise with the windows up and radio on was minimal compared to stock. More pops, crackles and fireballs with the intake over stock.

If you scroll up through prior posts you’ll see where I told whiteout no one wanted his high priced shit. LOL. So when I tell you this, you can know with certainty I am being 100% honest, and I love the silicone intake system, its badass! Its a legit performance increase and its noticeable in sound and acceleration. Its honestly the cheapest mod you can do to the murci with real gains.

I make nothing off this, although I get credit for giving him a hard time and saying we needed a cheaper alternative :). Yes, l worked with him to develop the kit, but I get zero royalties, and I bought all my own parts and then shared part numbers with him and he gave me a set of filters. I have about 3,000 miles on mine and never plan to go back, it’s a great FIRST mod OR Last mod to bring it all together. I made 581 hp to the wheels with this setup (look on my May 8th instagram to see the actual real time dyno video @ill_smo_q).

Cheap power for a lambo is rare, here is your chance!

• 2 weeks later...

I got this intake too

The induction noise is intense. I thought it sounded worse at first, but quickly changed my mind. I didn't really get to test it out enough before good weather season ended.

Will give a good review in the spring

• 1 month later...

I just installed a set of wrinkle-finished, pie-cut pipes that can be used with stock airboxes or with cone filters. I installed them with cone filters. I love the way the wrinkle finish matches the plenum, looks stock.

My car previously had BMC high-flow filters. As for performance, I have a broken butt-dyno so I can't tell the difference but I am satisfied. Before, you could hear the air initially rush into the airbox that would eventually turn into something that was almost drone like. I always thought it was the exhaust drone but it's not. It was the airbox. Now, there's a much cleaner intake sound with these filters. I like. Thanks Nick!!

Here are some pics:

20171202_191026797_iOS.jpg

20171202_195853474_iOS.jpg

Glad that everyone likes their intakes.

I just installed a set of wrinkle-finished, pie-cut pipes that can be used with stock airboxes or with cone filters. I installed them with cone filters. I love the way the wrinkle finish matches the plenum, looks stock.

That finish looks great installed. :monkeyleft: