• Hillary Clinton
    • Donald Trump
    • Gary Johnson
    • Jill Stein

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trumps speech at the 72nd UN General Assembly.

Very strong defense of the nation-state as a concept and patriotism, which is IMO quite refreshing to this whole, "One World, Borders-Are-A-Thing-Of-The-Past" we've been hearing a lot from the elites in the past years. Strong, free, proud, independent nation-states that are patriotic are what make for a prosperous, free, peaceful world.

Trump Care 3.0 or is it 4.0? DOA. Collins is out. 7 years of running on repeal and replace and nobody thought to flesh out a fcuking plan around 2013....what clowns.

Media can't help themselves following shiny objects - Trump's divisive NFL comments last weekend manages to turn Kapernick's police extrajudicial killings protest into bullshit regarding the flag. So much for the 1st amendment, apparently he is a bigger fan of number 2.

Meanwhile, the Mueller Russia probe marches forward, Kushner and Ivanka using private email, Puerto Rico is a fcuking disaster, expansion of the travel ban all swept under the carpet. Plus that fcuking idiot is tweeting us into a confrontation with #Noko.

I spend a lot of time in PR and do a lot of business down there. What's happened down there has set the island back decades and frankly, I think a lot of the destruction will never be repaired. Expect a mass exedous of puerto ricans that will never return to the island. I can't believe that the president is engaged in a twitter battle with professional athletes rather than dealing with this crisis head on.

I spend a lot of time in PR and do a lot of business down there. What's happened down there has set the island back decades and frankly, I think a lot of the destruction will never be repaired. Expect a mass exedous of puerto ricans that will never return to the island. I can't believe that the president is engaged in a twitter battle with professional athletes rather than dealing with this crisis head on.

Add that to the largest domestic municipal bk in US history. Population on PR was decreasing before Irma. This could be trump's Katrina. Where's Brownie when you need him?

The GOP I think, and in particular McCain it seems, are more intent on denying Trump any victories than fixing any problems. I think if they liked Trump, we'd have a legitimate Obamacare fix. I think his language regarding NK is exactly what NK needs to hear, as NK needs to be made aware that if they ever lob any nuke into the U.S. or attack SK, they will be destroyed.

Regarding Puerto Rico, well it's not a U.S. state, so much of the public probably doesn't care as much about it unfortunately, which I suppose if probably why the media isn't making much of a deal about it. Maybe Trump is dealing with it as best he can, but is also tweeting and that is just getting the most attention. I certainly believe he has the energy to do both, so I would hope that is the case and that he isn't ignoring PR. But hurricane destruction in Puerto Rico vs American football, American football probably wins out ratings-wise.

In regard to the NFL contoversey:

Employees should not protest WHILE AT WORK. On their off time.........no problem.

Remember professional athletes are at work when they are playing!!!

Diabloking,

I couldn't agree any more. They are performing while in a stadium provided for them. If the owners want them to do fcuking cartwheels while someone is singing they better do it !

Employees should not protest WHILE AT WORK. On their off time.........no problem.

post-8919-1506468707_thumb.png

Americans are too high with this nationalism. it is nothing more than bowing for images. Exactly what north koreans need to do daily.

Americans are too high with this nationalism. it is nothing more than bowing for images. Exactly what north koreans need to do daily.

Says the guy from Finland, maybe it's actual pride in our country and thanks to those that fought to protect it, images my ass.

The NFL never let any pro-American statements be made by the players during games, but anti-American or America-critical statements are apparently okay.

I don't think you have any understanding of patriotism in America if you think it's the equivalent of the North Koreans bowing to Dear Leader. Don't confuse patriotism with nationalism. There can be a fine line between the two, but nationalism is more of a collectivist, non-thinking type of movement, a wave, cult-type of thing that people get caught up in. Patriotism, by contrast, is more individual-based, something that people are because of deeply-held beliefs, not because of some cult-mindset or wave or mania movement that they got swept up in. Basically nationalism depends a lot on brainwashing, whereas patriotism does not. Patriotic people will be patriotic whether it is popular or not. Patriotism also is not about blind loyalty or not engaging in criticism of one's nation.

While I have not yet travelled abroad, from what I have read, American patriotism is a bit of an alien thing to many non-Americans. For example, I've read one of the things that shocks many who visit America is all the American flags everywhere. I've been told that in England, if you were to hang the British flag outside your house, you'd be viewed as some form of nationalist or something, whereas it is quite common in the USA to see the American flag hanging outside of people's homes. Also common to see little American flags on cars (and sometimes bigger and multiple ones on pickup trucks :D), and people wearing clothing with American flag artwork on it, and the flag flying big and proud all over. So I suppose American patriotism can be a bit of a culture shock to those not familiar with it.