Planning for Monterey Car Week 2017

camaro97

I'm planning to be at Monterey Car Week 2017 with the 6.0 and trying to plan things now. Looking at airbnb.com, it's showing that there already isn't much available to rent for next year ...

How close to Monterey does one need to stay? Is it worth staying close to the action?

My interest is doing a few cruises (maybe Italian Stampede) and some get togethers. I'm not really interested in doing Concours and stuff. There's some events listed https://whatsupmonterey.com/events/monterey-car-week but would probably want to also do a few other non-car things with the family.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm planning to be at Monterey Car Week 2017 with the 6.0 and trying to plan things now. Looking at airbnb.com, it's showing that there already isn't much available to rent for next year ...

How close to Monterey does one need to stay? Is it worth staying close to the action?

My interest is doing a few cruises (maybe Italian Stampede) and some get togethers. I'm not really interested in doing Concours and stuff. There's some events listed https://whatsupmonterey.com/events/monterey-car-week but would probably want to also do a few other non-car things with the family.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

You could do Monterey a number of different ways....

I usually will drive up in the Italian Stampede which leaves on Thurs. (or Fuel Run which leaves on Wed).

I think Quail is a definite must if you can get tickets....best cars on the course, and best food of any show.

I usually stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel which is right on Cannery Row....this is nice for the Exotics on Cannery row event. Huge rooms with ocean views and in the middle of everything.

My wife recently has been coming with me so you want to take your family to eat in Carmel (every night).

Concorso Italiano was kind of boring last year.

Pebble Beach is nice for first timers.

You could do Monterey a number of different ways....

I usually will drive up in the Italian Stampede which leaves on Thurs. (or Fuel Run which leaves on Wed).

I think Quail is a definite must if you can get tickets....best cars on the course, and best food of any show.

I usually stay at Monterey Plaza Hotel which is right on Cannery Row....this is nice for the Exotics on Cannery row event. Huge rooms with ocean views and in the middle of everything.

My wife recently has been coming with me so you want to take your family to eat in Carmel (every night).

Concorso Italiano was kind of boring last year.

Pebble Beach is nice for first timers.

That's some great info. Thanks!

Are the auctions good to attend to see unique cars?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

This was the 5th year of my pilgrimage to Monterey and love it. If its only you and your wife, as Plastique said, hotel is fine. Italian Stampede will have room reserved for you at Hilton Garden in as well. I usually have a group so I have been renting a house but if you do that, you need to find them soon--keep checking, they come on the market by year's end. after that, they get really steep. One year, I got an offer of $50K for 7 days!

Anyway, you will have a blast but be prepared because you will want to do it EVERY year thereafter. Hope to see you in 2017!

Cheers.

That's some great info. Thanks!

Are the auctions good to attend to see unique cars?

RM auction is going to have the creme de la creme cars but you have to either register or know someone who has registered as a bidder. But any of the auctions are fun to watch ...

Another great venue is the Historic races at Laguna Seca. You're watching multi million dollar vintage cars race around the track.

Other popular shows are Werks for Porsche, Legends of the Autobahn for BMW's, Exotics on Cannery Row, etc.

Never too early to start planning. I'm already eye-balling possible hotel arrangements.

If its only you and your wife, ...

It's going to me, wife, and the kiddo ... so trying to figure out how to balance everything.

RM auction is going to have the creme de la creme cars but you have to either register or know someone who has registered as a bidder. But any of the auctions are fun to watch ...

Another great venue is the Historic races at Laguna Seca. You're watching multi million dollar vintage cars race around the track.

Other popular shows are Werks for Porsche, Legends of the Autobahn for BMW's, Exotics on Cannery Row, etc.

I've never been to a car auction, so that would be pretty fun to do that once.

Something we did this year is drive several of new cars, Lambos, McLaren, Ferrari, Rolls. A dealer connection is needed for some but not all.

I'd like to test drive a Huracan if I could get the opportunity ...

Never too early to start planning. I'm already eye-balling possible hotel arrangements.

Are you looking at just hotels? What about airbnb.com options?

Since there are 3 of us bumming around, do I need to show up in the diablo? Can we show up in our Kia rental car, lol :) It seems every show costs $$$$. Not sure if that is to attend without displaying a car or even if you have your car displayed it still costs you $$$.

Are you looking at just hotels? What about airbnb.com options?

Since there are 3 of us bumming around, do I need to show up in the diablo? Can we show up in our Kia rental car, lol :) It seems every show costs $$$$. Not sure if that is to attend without displaying a car or even if you have your car displayed it still costs you $$$.

I'm looking into both. For test drives, talk to your dealer about 2 months before. This year I drove the Huracan Spyder, McLaren 570S and i8. I missed driving the NSX because I was heading to the Bentley villa when they called me and I passed on driving the Ferrari California T. Always a fun time, next year they should all have the entry level and some flagship level cars...this year everyone was only doing the entry level supercars (no Aventadors, 488's, or 650's).

For Monetery car week it's going to cost you cash, the only question is how much. I usually do 1-2 days but 1 single day can easily run over $700 - $1200 a person depending on what you want to do. I say research the events and prioritize the ones you want to hit...there's never enough time to fully hit everything. What I suggest with a 2 day trip is Friday do Laguna Seca, The Quail Lodge, and some test drives. Saturday do Pebble Beach and either Exotics on Cannery row or Concorso Italiano. That's also a good day to hop to an auction or two. And you can go back to Laguna Seca for another round of epic historic racing.

I'm looking into both. For test drives, talk to your dealer about 2 months before. This year I drove the Huracan Spyder, McLaren 570S and i8. I missed driving the NSX because I was heading to the Bentley villa when they called me and I passed on driving the Ferrari California T. Always a fun time, next year they should all have the entry level and some flagship level cars...this year everyone was only doing the entry level supercars (no Aventadors, 488's, or 650's).

For Monetery car week it's going to cost you cash, the only question is how much. I usually do 1-2 days but 1 single day can easily run over $700 - $1200 a person depending on what you want to do. I say research the events and prioritize the ones you want to hit...there's never enough time to fully hit everything. What I suggest with a 2 day trip is Friday do Laguna Seca, The Quail Lodge, and some test drives. Saturday do Pebble Beach and either Exotics on Cannery row or Concorso Italiano. That's also a good day to hop to an auction or two. And you can go back to Laguna Seca for another round of epic historic racing.

That's some great feedback! Greatly appreciated!

Wow I was just about to post the same thing as im planning to come stateside for car week in 2017 as well. I'll also take peoples suggestions on board. Perhaps I can meet up with you Eddy?

Wow I was just about to post the same thing as im planning to come stateside for car week in 2017 as well. I'll also take peoples suggestions on board. Perhaps I can meet up with you Eddy?

For sure!

Definitely contact me and we'll meet up for sure at one of the shows. You'll have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you register for the Quail ticket lottery. It's an expensive event, but one of the best of Car Week in terms of the quality of cars on display, food served, atmosphere, etc. I really loved it.