After-market wheels

VCR

I've had HRE's, forgeline, and CCWs. Never had a lambo but I'd got with HRE wheels over any of them. BBS also a great brand..if I'm not mistaken they made the 599GTO wheels.

RAYS are great wheels (I love the look of many and lightweight.) But they rarely make it outside of Japanese vehicles.

I had many sets but only on Japanese cars now that you mentioned they might not have wheels to suit the SV.

On my 3rd set of ADV.1 wheels. I've gone 200mph+ numerous times and haven't had any issues. IMO they're the best looking designs from all companies.

VCR - 1 piece wheels are the safest ones to go with as the more pieces make up a wheel the more components there are that could go wrong. I've heard of bolts coming apart on 3 piece wheels at higher speeds. However, I've had 2 and 3 piece wheels and never experienced any issues.

The key difference in wheels isn't so much OEM versus aftermarket, as it is forged construction versus cast. Most Lamborghini wheels are cast aluminum. And all are made by outside sources - since obviously Lamborghini is in the vehicle manufacturing business, not the wheel manufacturing business.

OEM suppliers include OZ Racing, Speedline, BBS, App Tech, and one or two others - all of which also happen to manufacture 'aftermarket' wheels either marketed by themselves, or others.

Just about any aftermarket wheel of forged construction is going to be far superior in-terms of both strength as well as weight, when compared with a wheel such as the Cassiopeia wheel found on virtually all early Gallardo's.

Up until a year ago - ADV.1 was basically a marketing company, since all of their wheels were actually built by MHT in California, right next to other fairly common names. Last year they bought their own equipment to manufacture near their office in South Miami. FYI ADV.1 was recently sold to Momo.

On a personal - note - I happen to really like OEM wheels because of the uniformity in-terms of overall correctness. But right now I'm going through a real challenge trying to make late-model 20" OEM Lamborghini wheels work on my 1999 Diablo SV. I think I can do it, though.

So one last time - aside from personal likes - the real difference is Cast versus Forged in-terms of quality; not OEM versus aftermarket.

On my 3rd set of ADV.1 wheels. I've gone 200mph+ numerous times and haven't had any issues. IMO they're the best looking designs from all companies.

VCR - 1 piece wheels are the safest ones to go with as the more pieces make up a wheel the more components there are that could go wrong. I've heard of bolts coming apart on 3 piece wheels at higher speeds. However, I've had 2 and 3 piece wheels and never experienced any issues.

Agree with you completely about 1-piece wheels. To me - one-piece wheels are like a custom-made suit. Three-piece wheels are more one-size-fits-all, with tailoring.

I've had a few sets of ADV.1 wheels. On my last set, one wheel came with a slow leak at the seam, plus another was delivered with some (minor) lip damage. Inexcusable, given their pricing.

I had many sets but only on Japanese cars now that you mentioned they might not have wheels to suit the SV.

Rays Engineering makes some of the best one-piece wheels going, but not all are. They provide factory wheels for many common Nissan cars and SUV's and I think that they're pretty heavy, if in-fact of forged construction.

Nick R down here in South Florida has a really sweet LP640 with HRE's. He went against the typical when he chose 19" HRE wheels. The thicker sidewall is a refreshing change from the usual Black-rubberband thickness of tires on 20" or larger.

14753823_1311419438889502_2252034585172613912_o.jpg

Rays Engineering makes some of the best one-piece wheels going, but not all are. They provide factory wheels for many common Nissan cars and SUV's and I think that they're pretty heavy, if in-fact of forged construction.

Thank you for the info Double, last Rays I bought were almost 15 years ago, they were light in comparison with what the other choices were around at the time, no idea about now.

Thank you everyone for the valuable input. I have certainly learned a lot. For those who had PM'ed me, thank you all as well.

Anyone, aside from Keith Richards with his beautiful purple SV, has any experience with Brixton wheels please?

While at SEMA I checked out Brixton Forged wheels and spoke with one of the owners. It seems like a nice wheel company and they are aiming at lightweight designs (which look good IMO) and use titanium hardware.

My girlfriend has HRE 546 on her beetle and after inspecting them and handling them, the attention to detail is apparent whereas the CCWs on my Viper are aimed at being as light and strong as possible, so the machine work isn't as nice.

I think Rays is like BBS and they make so many wheels that the weight depends on the line. Such as Volk wheels and Gram Lights (owned by Rays) are both light, TE37s are lightweight forged (MANY knock offs of this wheel), while I have never heard of 9 of the other brands owned by Rays.

Nick R down here in South Florida has a really sweet LP640 with HRE's. He went against the typical when he chose 19" HRE wheels. The thicker sidewall is a refreshing change from the usual Black-rubberband thickness of tires on 20" or larger.

That matte black Murci is HOT.

I am in same boat, I literally have never bought directly an aftermarket set of 'good wheels' Sure I've done the SSR's on tirerack for the Viper/GTR, but those are backup/track sets, that didnt cost much. Now I am considering the 5k+ set of wheels, and really am struggling on what to get.

I was initially looking for monoblock, but then was steered towards 3 piece, but I REALLY want monoblock, due to the light weight/stronger design.

HRE seems to be the 'well duh' option, like no one will ever say 'why did you buy hre' So anyone have a recommendation for what HRE set LOOKS good, and has proper fitments (and maybe what those are offset wise) for the Murcielago? (I have an 09).

Thanks!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
HRE and BC Forged are my go to brands. GFG, Rotiform, ADV1 all junk.

My murcie had GFG, the wheel quality sucked and the customer service sucked too.

Ditto and ditto. GFG is shit

While at SEMA I checked out Brixton Forged wheels and spoke with one of the owners. It seems like a nice wheel company and they are aiming at lightweight designs (which look good IMO) and use titanium hardware.

My girlfriend has HRE 546 on her beetle and after inspecting them and handling them, the attention to detail is apparent whereas the CCWs on my Viper are aimed at being as light and strong as possible, so the machine work isn't as nice.

I think Rays is like BBS and they make so many wheels that the weight depends on the line. Such as Volk wheels and Gram Lights (owned by Rays) are both light, TE37s are lightweight forged (MANY knock offs of this wheel), while I have never heard of 9 of the other brands owned by Rays.

That matte black Murci is HOT.

I ordered some Brixton wheels for the Murci a few weeks ago. Should be here early Dec. Will post info on them when I get them mounted =)

I only bought ADV.1 for my SL65 because I really liked the selection of design they had that seemed to suit that car, and since there was so much hype of the ADV.1 being one of the best designer wheel companies. On the deep concave wheel, I like how the spokes filled the entire wheel to the edge and spokes close to the wheel rim which I couldn't seem to find on another manufacture (photo), but I believe took about a couple months or so to get them. Almost went with HRE on a similar wheel because it looked somewhat close in design and were much cheaper in cost too, however it wasn't quite what I wanted. Next time may consider HRE or others just because of the cost. I think I was just over $11K on these, including tires. As far as wheels on the Murci, I kind of like the original but maybe I am just too new on ownership and may have a desire to change later.

26432141793_d16a5264b0_b.jpgSL65 by JanDaMan, on Flickr

Wow.

How did it happen?

That tire had a slow leak. Took it into a local tire shop, they said the wheel was leaking from where the inner barrels meet and didn't mention anything about cracks (I set up an appointment to have the wheel disassembled and resealed on Monday.) Two days later driving, spin the car around on a completely flat surface for a u-turn and it failed. I checked tire pressure an hour earlier and it was 40psi. If you look at the wheel you can see the failure and crack, but at the bottom right of the picture you can see another crack forming.

I bought these wheels used, I never hit a curb or any massive pot holes and although CCW is a quality brand, you never know what kind of life used wheels go through.