Aventador market gone stale?

Machine Head

Having been in the market for an Aventador roadster for a while I have followed the inventory on cars.com and eBay closely. In the last two months the US market has had around 102-104 Aventadors for sale, and I have called on a lot of the cars. Some have been withdrawn from the market and some have been reduced. Others have remained put without any price change.

There is one car in particular that signalizes a slightly worrisome trend. It's a 2013 roadster in the launch colors tan and light blue (I forget the lambo color designation) I think it's azure thetos. It is now listed at Lamborghini of Costa Mesa in California for $355,000. I believe they will let it go for $345K. If a hardly driven car with no accidents or issues is not moving, and by the looks of it neither are the other cars, then I am worried that the depreciation on the Aventador could get abysmal over the next 6 months to a year.

My theory is that the fraction of people who could afford to buy a brand new Lamborghini Aventador when it came out, at around $480-550K, represent such a small portion of the exotic car world of buyers that when they decide to sell to get into an SV or S or what have you, their used cars are hitting the market at a price point that's still in the same buyer segment ($300K+). The exotic car market around $200-300K is much larger than $300K+. Many people I know who are just moderately wealthy drive $200K cars, but for pretty much all of them, justifying a $300K+ used car is tough.

That's why I believe the used Aventadors fall somewhere in between the chairs. They are too expensive for the average rich guy, and no longer as desired by those who truly have the means.

I am naturally worried about the potential for heavy depreciation as sellers realize their cars are sitting longer than they'd like. I don't expect prices to plummet but I have a feeling they will take a fairly big dive over the next year. Moreso than any other car just because of the price point and market segment of that price point.

What do you guys think? I absolutely LOVE the Aventador and can't wait to get mine but I am not "f%#= you rich" and have to consider the fact that at $400K after taxes I could have a nice little vacation house somewhere that will likely appreciate, while I will probably lose $100K on the avvy in 3 years. It's a tough decision.

Thoughts?

That launch color blue wasn't and isn't popular, at this level buyers want to get exactly what they like unless they have budget constraints, people with budget constraints always go for the cheapest or sit on the sidelines praying that the bottom will fall out of the market.

The Aventador is in an a league of its own it doesn't really have a direct competitor, 100 cars for such a large market isn't much but with new models coming out and cheap money around the largest pool of buyers tend to stretch to the newer models.

It might sound harsh but if you can't comfortably afford one just stay away until you do, get the house you are talking about it's a much better investment.

If you want to get into a Lambo get the Huracan, it's a brilliant car, faster than the Aventador and much cheaper, I suggest you test drive one if you haven't already done so.

Good luck.

Thank you for your response. I believe with the sort of wrap jobs people are doing nowadays, exterior color doesn't matter as much as it used to maybe? It's also worth noting that there's a car with exactly the same specs but with far more miles, listed for $20K more..?!

I agree the Aventador is absolutely in a league of its own, but price wise as well. Maybe with the exception of the f12. But that's why I believe my theory might hold water. Super cars in the $150-300K appeal to a certain type of "semi rich". This is where I fit in. I can't in good conscience spend half my annual paycheck after taxes on a new toy. I don't think I'd ever be comfortable with that idea.

I believe people who buy $500K new cars, assuming they are financially responsible people, have net worths of tens of millions and make many millions more than me every year. There aren't that many of them around who are also interested in an Aventador, and those who are probably already have one or are trying to sell one to get into the next one. I might be wrong, but it seems a reasonable assumption.

I have a 458 which I want to sell when I get the avvy, as I don't think I can justify two sports cars.

Anyway, I think it's an interesting observation that these cars aren't moving so fast. I drove the Huracan and it doesn't appeal to me in the same way as the avvy. They just don't look as good, and they haven't depreciated enough to make it a sensible purchase in my opinion. To me it's not so much about the total money invested as it is in how much money I will have lost when I sell it.

Are you telling that you are on a wage of $1 mil a year and you are sweating a possible $100k depreciation over 3 years on a used Aventador? :eusa_think:

I own a small business so income varies slightly. I don't know how long I'll have my good years so I save as much as I can. Here in California we pay 53.5% taxes on personal income. Yes, I don't like losing money. I have a threshold that I am comfortable with and that is no more than $50K over 4-5 years if possible. Of course I can _afford_ to buy a brand new one, but it just seems mindless. The cars I have looked at for sale msrp'd for over $500K just a year to a year and a half ago. If that was me I would have lost $150-200K! That's stupid money, regardless of having a good income.

If you want a car that does not depreciate, the avy is not the car for you. Go pick up a murcie?

Well said!

OP from your wall of text I'd highly suggest not getting an Avey.

Yeah, the lp640 seems like a good fit price wise, but it's starting to look a little too dated. Maybe I should ease on my depreciation threshold just to get the toy of my dreams while I'm still reasonably young.

I'm confused regarding the comment about my "wall of text"? How does being analytical relate to the Aventador being the right car or not?

Yeah, the lp640 seems like a good fit price wise, but it's starting to look a little too dated. Maybe I should ease on my depreciation threshold just to get the toy of my dreams while I'm still reasonably young.

I'm confused regarding the comment about my "wall of text"? How does being analytical relate to the Aventador being the right car or not?

Quite simple. Many people, myself included, have been where you are. Read and research and you get essentially the same outcome as the guy who went in one day and came home with the car. With new cars you have warranty and more mechanically sound so you lose depreciation. With old cars you may not lose depreciation but you get mechanical issues. I'm on my second murcie and have many friends who own Lambo's from old to new. Very few people come out positive on these cars unless you get really lucky. I think I got lucky on my second one because I got a manual lp640. We'll see if I ever decide to sell, but who knows how much it will cost me till I sell.

If you have the scratch, buy one now while buying season is dead. Make offers on multiple cars and see what sticks. Then come summer buying season if you've realized you're not into the car dump it. You'll lose the least amount doing this. I thinks car's will be okay on the US because thanks to trump the high earners will have a little more pocket change assuming he gets his tax bill in retroactive to Jan 2017.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response and good advice, Lambro. It's definitely interesting to see what will happen to the taxes with Trump at the helm. I have a feeling California will raise by whatever he lowers, so it'll be a zero sum game for us over here.

Since you have owned two Murcies, may I ask if you're still happy with it, and if you ever think about the depreciation when you drive it? Do you have an itch to get into the Aventador or do you like the murcielago better?

I'm genuinely curious about where the Aventadors are going in price over the next year or so. I could sit patiently for another year until I pull the trigger but I wonder if that time lost is worth more than $30K or so that I would lose on the value of the car. Trying to find that perfect balance of time vs money. Since everyone's different I guess it's kind of wishful thinking to get a consistent and definite answer :)

Thanks for your response and good advice, Lambro. It's definitely interesting to see what will happen to the taxes with Trump at the helm. I have a feeling California will raise by whatever he lowers, so it'll be a zero sum game for us over here.

Since you have owned two Murcies, may I ask if you're still happy with it, and if you ever think about the depreciation when you drive it? Do you have an itch to get into the Aventador or do you like the murcielago better?

I'm genuinely curious about where the Aventadors are going in price over the next year or so. I could sit patiently for another year until I pull the trigger but I wonder if that time lost is worth more than $30K or so that I would lose on the value of the car. Trying to find that perfect balance of time vs money. Since everyone's different I guess it's kind of wishful thinking to get a consistent and definite answer :)

If you're worried about the depreciation enough that it will effect your wanting to drive the car (or be on your mind while you're driving), then you can't afford the car. Now that can be subjective to your own thresholds and comfort not the line on your bank statement, but it's the same outcome.

You will be better off buying a LP560 or 570 Gallardo, a damn fun car at that, for $150k +/- that you can beat the snot out of, will be reasonably reliable, and will be fairly insulated from serious depreciation.

What is the point of owning a car if the maintenance or depreciation is such a burden it sucks the fun out of it?

I know. It's part of my personality and something I struggle with :( I've had the same issue with all the exotics I've owned. Sometimes I look at the odometer in my 458 and note that I've put 1000 miles on it without recalling how and when. I think about it for a few minutes and then I stop worrying about it. It's not healthy at that point. It's good to be careful with ones money, though. Sometimes when I eat at expensive restaurants I shudder when I get the check. The emotional impact is about the same as the odometer reading 😀 Totally irrational I know. I guess it stems from my upbringing. We didn't have much when I was a kid and had to save on everything. It somehow transferred over when I started making a good amount of money. As a result I have a very comfortable income to savings ratio. I guess at some point one should allow oneself to splurge a little. Just don't want to take a bath.

I know. It's part of my personality and something I struggle with :( I've had the same issue with all the exotics I've owned. Sometimes I look at the odometer in my 458 and note that I've put 1000 miles on it without recalling how and when. I think about it for a few minutes and then I stop worrying about it. It's not healthy at that point. It's good to be careful with ones money, though. Sometimes when I eat at expensive restaurants I shudder when I get the check. The emotional impact is about the same as the odometer reading 😀 Totally irrational I know. I guess it stems from my upbringing. We didn't have much when I was a kid and had to save on everything. It somehow transferred over when I started making a good amount of money. As a result I have a very comfortable income to savings ratio. I guess at some point one should allow oneself to splurge a little. Just don't want to take a bath.

Life's too short. Live a little.

I do not know a newer model car (2013 or newer) that is over $200k used that would not easily lose $10k a year in depreciation over the next couple years. So if you are not comfortable losing over $50k in depreciation over 4-5 years then you need to look at older model cars that are holding their value and have taken the depreciation hit. An LP640 or Murcie would be a great option for you.

Life's too short. Live a little.

:iamwithstupid:

Turbogallardo put 1000 miles on his Veyron SS in about a month, zero fucks given about the expense or depreciation.

Life is too short! You may be dead tomorrow in this crazy world we live in.

Go buy your Aventador, they're cheaper than dirt right now.

Who cares about money, you will always make more as long as you're breathing and willing.

I grew up the same way and understand. What you need to do is decide that you're willing to take a certain amount of depreciation and then go ahead and buy the car. I think you'll find that once you get it out of your system you'll see the car is a white elephant, you've checked the box, you'll sell it and take the depreciation as the cost of achieving the dream.

My LP is kind of a unicorn. I love it. If I got a 'vent' it would be as a second exotic.

My LP is kind of a unicorn. I love it. If I got a 'vent' it would be as a second exotic.

Yes, Its an elusive unicorn that sleeps in a garage, and never comes out.

:iamwithstupid:

Turbogallardo put 1000 miles on his Veyron SS in about a month, zero fucks given about the expense or depreciation.

Not a comparable level I would have to imagine. TG is apparently on a no fucks givien level on anything lol

Good color combo and good price AV's would be gone in a day or two. I was on the market for almost 6 months, every time a good one shown up, when I made an 8-10% discount offer, I never get what I wanted and ended up selling to someone overnight. If you are actively in the market every day waiting for some good ones show up, you will know what I'm talking about. Most of them staying long, there's always a reason, trust me......

I finally gave up and went straight to the SV.

Yes, Its an elusive unicorn that sleeps in a garage, and never comes out.

Why get my unicorn out when I can ride in all of yours. :icon_butt: