Turning my 04 G into an STS

StoleIt

Well, not really. But since I love the look of the STS and I wasn't a fan of the original louvered engine bonnet it seemed like a no-brainer.

I purchased the car with a Renown Lp570 bumper and SL skirts already installed so that was just icing on the cake, but the rims were in dire need of upgrade.

Out with the old:

CVY3qyj.jpg

2t0FKiF.jpg

In with the new:

pgBsrt5.jpg

KEkC3bX.jpg

Gi6w85I.jpg

Onto the juicy stuff...I ordered the Super Trofeo Stradale body kit in gloss carbon fiber from RevozPort via David Wong at SP Engineering. I can't say enough nice things about David (to be expanded on later).

Delivery day:

G1h7tgV.jpg

Lip spoiler:

U9NqC3r.jpg

Wing:

xQFxXuc.jpg

Qw443PH.jpg

Bonnet:

7qs4a0F.jpg

Ugh oh:

1kqyBS8.jpg

8vnAwyQ.jpg

Not sure if it got damaged from shipping or who knows but the important part is David was super awesome getting a replacement worked out. Revozport was making me a new one within the week!

This is where it gets fun because RevozPort wants the old one to be DESTROYED. I was a little bummed because I was imaging making it into a table or an artistic wall piece at this point, but I understand the company doesn't want me to bondo the damage up, paint it, and have a second functioning bonnet for resale.

Trying to work it over:

u1xBe22.jpg

rU6ELT7.jpg

Not very impressive, right? Hammers, MMA, and trying to fold it in half didn't work very well. Alrighty, time to go medieval on this thing!

Video:

End Result:

mHTGctL.jpg

Replacement showed up today and looks absolutely perfect.

Proof:

IEtHOxD.jpg

Updates will come as the parts get installed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

awesome. REVO makes great stuff. so sad that they wanted the bonnet destroyed... lol. anyways, can't wait to see the finished results. are you doing the bumper as well? or just the STS wing/bonnet?

Congrats and good luck with the project!

My buddy used the exact kit and it was a pain when he had to make custom brackets with no instructions to go off of.

The carbon pieces from there are great quality but they require a little fitting usually, not bad though.

I love these kinds of projects. I like it when people make a cool car even cooler. Good luck with the remainder of the build, we are all stoked to see how it turns out. Do you have anything planned for the interior?

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Looks incredible. Definitely the route I'd take with an early G. What'd the kit ring in at? If you don't mind me asking.

MSRP is $7280 and David at SP Engineering beat that price by a decent margin. I don't want to say exactly how much because I'm pretty sure he can't post it publicly, but I'd shoot him a PM if you're interested. And his customer service in dealing with the cracked original bonnet was amazing. I can't say enough good things about him and the shop.

Congrats and good luck with the project!

My buddy used the exact kit and it was a pain when he had to make custom brackets with no instructions to go off of.

The carbon pieces from there are great quality but they require a little fitting usually, not bad though.

Do you know if he used OEM STS bonnet brackets? I have those in hand and was hoping it was going to line up.

I purchased the ones on the left of this image as well as the AeroCatch quick release latches which is the same brand as OEM:

JfzLC5w.jpg

I'd love to chat with your buddy if he is on this site.

I love these kinds of projects. I like it when people make a cool car even cooler. Good luck with the remainder of the build, we are all stoked to see how it turns out. Do you have anything planned for the interior?

Nothing at this time. I'm not really a big interior person...maybe if I find someone unloading a complete CF interior I'd consider snatching it up, but otherwise I'm fairly satisfied with OEM.

Besides, I already have the most important interior option:

Y1FUtmY.jpg

Do the STS bonnets really open backwards like that?! Don't all other G's open normally with the brackets being near the cockpit?

The bonnet doesn't really "open" at all. It basically just pops off. The front is where it latches and they are quick release racing type locks and the back is just basically wedged in from what I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This guy thinks he can just cut in front of me because he has turbos...

QodSoiY.jpg

And might as well tint the tail lights while we are at it...

igDiy7j.jpg

Was that the white SL UGR just finished?

• 2 weeks later...
What is that?! And why is it green?

lol. I needed an LP "rear cross member" to mount the wing to. The pre-LP has a much smaller piece so I found a guy parting out a totaled LP and got it. Sadly, it wasn't orange...but it will eventually get painted. Just in there right now for the test fit.